Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

From your personal experience is this Bike Speed by Age chart correct?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

From your personal experience is this Bike Speed by Age chart correct?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-22, 12:30 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
I have no idea if it's accurate for the general population, but not even remotely for me. I'm 15-18mph, depending on wind and elevation changes. But then again, I don't ride for leisure activity. I go out every time with the express intention of killing my legs.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 04-17-22, 06:56 PM
raymellott

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.0 - modified to be better on the road than it was designed to be. Now, 2021 Domane.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Do you think this chart is correct and what are your personal thoughts? I have been passed by lots of people whom I think are 65 or older doing 15 mph plus.

Average cycling speed by age: A Detailed Analysis | Decline Magazine

Average cycling speed by age
It's BS. 90% of what you do on your bike depends on you and your condition. When I was in my late 60's, on a low end hybrid hybrid bike; riding every day, 15 to 20 miles, I managed to average about14 mph. Later, after a number of health incidents that whacked my conditioning and the frequency/duration of my rides, I'm down to about - yeah - 11 mph. But almost all that degradation is because my conditioning is in the pits, now compared to then.
Old 04-20-22, 09:10 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
That chart is for a leisure cyclist, not for someone who is serious about cycling. I am sixty years old and I can average a heck of a lot faster than 12mph. One thing I read in "Bicycling Science" by Frank Rowland Whitt, copyright 1982, is that between the ages of 40 and 80 a fit athletic cyclist will lose half of their capacity to take oxygen out of the air with their lungs, and for those who are not healthy or sedentary, the loss is much worse. So you will be slower after the age of 40, but you can still be much faster than the average person if you ride regularly and seriously. I had heart surgery last year in the spring, and by fall I was able to hold a 19.5 mph average over a 13 mile time-trial course riding a 34-pound Huffy ten-speed, and this year, not having had any surgeries or setbacks, I am sure with the same training I could go much faster than that.
Old 04-21-22, 06:06 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
As other's have pointed out, that chart is pretty daft and meaningless.

I'm 53, today I did a short lap due to time constraints, did 44km, 312m and 33.6km/h average. Not full gas at all but felt it a bit because it is windy.

Last couple of 200k's earlier this year looking at Strava were 204km, 1700m, 28.4km/h average (7hrs 12min) and 214km, 1705m, 30.2km/h average (7hrs 8min)

Old 04-21-22, 07:50 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
I'm in my 50's and the average speed is spot on - except I ride a FATBIKE at the chart's average speed.

Maybe it's a fatbike avg speed chart?

Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 04-21-22, 07:53 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
That chart is such BS. I'm 50 right now.

Old 05-10-22, 08:52 AM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
I think the chart is correct if it was about older people’s activity. Most slow down a lot as time advances. Bike riders are not your average senior. No one besides myself in my building ride a bike of any kind. It is not a good chart of active people. Motivation is what drives people to be active. Some older people are very active but have no interest in bikes, that is just the way it is.
Ed
Old 05-10-22, 10:41 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by EddyR
I think the chart is correct if it was about older people’s activity. Most slow down a lot as time advances. Bike riders are not your average senior. No one besides myself in my building ride a bike of any kind. It is not a good chart of active people. Motivation is what drives people to be active. Some older people are very active but have no interest in bikes, that is just the way it is.
Ed
I agree. When I'm around a group of people my age that don't ride I feel like I'm the only one that's going to make it past five. And I'm not referring to taking an afternoon nap....Most people my age are sedentary and have been too long to turn it around now. I'm just going to keep riding till I can't. It works for me at 73.
Old 05-10-22, 12:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
A screenshot of my Strava from Sunday's Golden State Race Series circuit race. This was the Masters 50+/60+ field, so by definition everyone in that race is eligible for AARP membership. I finished midpack, so this is a pretty representation of the race speed.

It's the same guys I've been racing against for years. I keep thinking that as I age up, racing will get easier. But no, those guys don't get any slower.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-10-22, 07:09 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
[QUOTE=
It's the same guys I've been racing against for years. I keep thinking that as I age up, racing will get easier. But no, those guys don't get any slower.[/QUOTE]
Haha. I like that.
Old 05-10-22, 09:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That’s the thing about racing in the Masters fields in NorCal. Every race you’ll see a couple of stars and stripes arm bands. Occasionally rainbow stripes.