Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Elemnt Roam Speed Lag

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 05-16-22, 10:05 PM
skallal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a Wahoo Elemnt Roam based on the recommendations of another member. This was because I'm having issues with a Garmin in bright sunlight. The Roam certainly solved the sunlight issue resoundingly.

However I just traded one issue for another. The speed reading is very sluggish. It takes at least 5 seconds or more for the current speed to properly update. If this is a pervasive problem, there would be a lot of online complaints. The only Google hits I can find relate to the RPM sensor. I have no sensors. The speed calculation is entirely GPS based.

I'm hoping there is a simple fix for this. I can't find any settings. Perhaps a bad unit?

I'll be calling support soon.

Any ideas?
Old 05-17-22, 09:00 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
It’s always like that? It never shows instant speed? Are you saying that when you start off for a ride, it takes five seconds to move from zero to, say, 8mph, which it displays for five seconds despite the fact you’re accelerating, and then jumps to, say, 12mph, which ot then again shows for 5 seconds regardless of actual speed, and so on and so on?
Old 05-17-22, 12:30 PM
skallal

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
It’s always like that? It never shows instant speed? Are you saying that when you start off for a ride, it takes five seconds to move from zero to, say, 8mph, which it displays for five seconds despite the fact you’re accelerating, and then jumps to, say, 12mph, which ot then again shows for 5 seconds regardless of actual speed, and so on and so on?
It does ALWAYS show a speed. I wouldn't call it instant. I need to look and see just how fast it updates. But I'd say your description is close to my experience.

Okay the 5 seconds is a guess on my part. For example I can be riding 14 mph as I approach my driveway and then slow down to < 5 mph for the turn. It stills reads 14 mph until I'm well into my driveway.

To be fair, I should try the same with my Garmin. But I'm sure it's much much faster.
Old 05-17-22, 03:20 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,902 Posts
I would use the ANT+ & see if the GPS is the problem. Are you sync'd with your phone when using it? If you are, make sure the phone's location accuracy is set appropriately.
Old 05-17-22, 04:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
The processors in these devices usually aren't too spiffy. So to expect it to instantly respond to an increase of speed that might be 10 or 20 mph in just a second or two might be a little too much expectation.

Besides, why are you looking at your device that long? If I'm coming at you I'd rather you see me and not the speed you collide or pass by me at.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-18-22, 05:43 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
I’ve not had any meaningful lag in speed reporting from either Garmin or Wahoo units, going back to the days when the Edge 500 came out. I mean, it has probably happened, but is so rare and brief that I don’t even have a solid feeling of it being a thing, let alone being able to recall an instance.
Old 05-19-22, 08:15 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked 10,934 Times in 4,670 Posts
OP: is this occurring under any and all conditions, or more when you are under tree cover and/or on cloudy days? I've noticed that my computer (not Wahoo) reacts more slowly under such conditions.

Either way, it's basically a non-issue. Your speed will be accurate in the post-ride file...And during a ride, how on earth could a laggy speed reading make any difference?
Old 05-19-22, 01:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If speed is important to you, get a speed sensor.
Old 05-19-22, 04:11 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Mine only seems to lag on gradient. Bu that doesn't bother me too much... I know the road is going up because it sucks and my speed (such that it is - fatbike problems) drops FAST

LOL
Old 05-19-22, 04:22 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
I think its inherant to some GPS units whose processors are just slow. Ive seen Garmins react this way, just a slow update to obvious changes in speed.

The solution is usually add a speed sensor as the device is no longer using the GPS signal to generate speed, thus processor speed for the incoming GPS signal is not an issue.
Old 03-23-23, 08:11 PM
jv6380@gmail.co

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wahoo Roam Speed Lag

Originally Posted by skallal
I just bought a Wahoo Elemnt Roam based on the recommendations of another member. This was because I'm having issues with a Garmin in bright sunlight. The Roam certainly solved the sunlight issue resoundingly.

However I just traded one issue for another. The speed reading is very sluggish. It takes at least 5 seconds or more for the current speed to properly update. If this is a pervasive problem, there would be a lot of online complaints. The only Google hits I can find relate to the RPM sensor. I have no sensors. The speed calculation is entirely GPS based.

I'm hoping there is a simple fix for this. I can't find any settings. Perhaps a bad unit?

I'll be calling support soon.

Any ideas?
Did you figure out what was the issue with the lag? I am having the same issue and I am using a speed sensor.
Old 03-23-23, 09:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4919 Post(s)
Liked 8,026 Times in 3,796 Posts
Originally Posted by jv6380@gmail.co
Did you figure out what was the issue with the lag? I am having the same issue and I am using a speed sensor.
Do you have the Wahoo paired with the sensor?

If you do, in the Wahoo app, check the settings on your sensor. If it’s set to calculate tire size automatically, it’s relying on GPS positioning to calculate speed. If you manually enter the tire size, it will use wheel rotation to calculate speed based on the tire size.