Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Questions about max heartrate

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 08:50 PM
Trev Doyle
Hamburger Pimp

Bikes: BMC SLT O1 Team Full Record, Kuips SuperNova Ultegra & DuraAce, Rocky Mountain Team Scandium full XTR w sids & dope parts, Guerciotti Khaybar Full Record.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have pretty recently started using a heart rate monitor while training and racing. I have used them occasionally in the past but not too seriously , and not for a great length of time.

I race the same Mid Week Crit every Tuesday and have been a bit surprised by my max heart rate. Tonights was max 206, avg 165, last weeks was max 205 avg 170, I forget the week before......

I am 39 , 5'8", 155lb and I am racing the faster more elite paced race, of the 2 this evening. Its pretty fast and I attacked for 2 laps and held on after I dropped back.
sorry to be so long winded, just trying to give a little backdrop of info, but is a max of 206 dangerous? My resting is about 60-62bpm.

thx
Old 07-27-10, 09:04 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Not a doc, but I've got a teammate who's in his late 40's and regularly goes over 200. It varies from individual to individual.
Old 07-27-10, 09:14 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Trev Doyle
I have pretty recently started using a heart rate monitor while training and racing. I have used them occasionally in the past but not too seriously , and not for a great length of time.

I race the same Mid Week Crit every Tuesday and have been a bit surprised by my max heart rate. Tonights was max 206, avg 165, last weeks was max 205 avg 170, I forget the week before......

I am 39 , 5'8", 155lb and I am racing the faster more elite paced race, of the 2 this evening. Its pretty fast and I attacked for 2 laps and held on after I dropped back.
sorry to be so long winded, just trying to give a little backdrop of info, but is a max of 206 dangerous? My resting is about 60-62bpm.

thx
no, everyone's different, and max HR really doesn't mean anything

better question to ask is: what's your avg HR when you do a ftp effort? that's HR is a much better indicator for training purposes
Old 07-27-10, 10:21 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^

this
Old 07-28-10, 08:55 AM
pretzelface
Cat 4 roadkill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure it's even possible to measure a true maximum heart rate on a bike - it'd require pushing yourself to the actual point of collapse, and possibly heart failure.
Old 07-28-10, 09:00 AM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich
no, everyone's different, and max HR really doesn't mean anything

better question to ask is: what's your avg HR when you do a ftp effort? that's HR is a much better indicator for training purposes

+1... any trainer, article or book that mentions max HR as a guide, is about 25 years out of date. It's useless for our purposes. Threshold is what matters when you're training with HR.
Old 07-28-10, 09:07 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by pretzelface
I'm not sure it's even possible to measure a true maximum heart rate on a bike - it'd require pushing yourself to the actual point of collapse, and possibly heart failure.
There are many reasons for heart failure. Pushing too hard on a bike isn't one of them if you have a normal heart without some underlying condition.

To the OP: It's OK to observe your max HR but it doesn't provide much info. It will fluctuate with outdoor temp, hydration level and fitness and a few other factors.