Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Leaving Car Free Far Behind; Increasing Bike Theft & Even Jacking Changes The Reality

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Leaving Car Free Far Behind; Increasing Bike Theft & Even Jacking Changes The Reality

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 09:25 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Im not sure if I was about to be bikejacked , or a random little 'hoodrat wanted to fight with me, but in Riviera Beach(FL version of Oakland) a little kid started chasing me and yelling violent stuff, totally unprovoked. I only got away because I was on bike and he on foot, but he got close before I realized what was going on. After that, I learned that whenever you hear "HEY, THATS MY BIKE" from a gang of 'hoodrats on the corner, start to ride like your life depends on it, cuz it might. also, the first time I gave hand signals, a car pulled up in front of me and asked what I wanted. Nice
It changed my opinion of carrying weapons, and I never left home without a 2', 800,000 volt stun pole.
Old 08-03-13, 01:22 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You are right, it doesn't matter, so why bring it up?
Are you arguing for the sake of argument or do you believe that it should be acceptable to steal property because it is of less perceived value, by yourself or some other entity?
Old 08-03-13, 03:05 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
Are you arguing for the sake of argument or do you believe that it should be acceptable to steal property because it is of less perceived value, by yourself or some other entity?
I'm not clear on what you're saying. I'm pretty sure that ILTB was not saying it's ok to steal anything. No reasonable person would ever believe that or argue that!

But presently, there are degrees of severity in theft laws that are often based on the value of the stolen item. For example, if the value of a stolen bike--or most other items--is less than $100 (or some other value, depending on the jurisdiction) the penalty for petty larceny might be a small fine or a few weeks in the county jail. If the value of the stolen bike is more than $100, the penalty will be much harsher.

But some items fall under different laws. If a car is stolen, there is a different charge of grand theft auto. No matter the value of the car, there is a very harsh penalty. Similarly, if you steal $5 worth of candy from a gas station, you will get a light penalty. If you drive away with $5 worth of gas, you will get a harsher sentence because gas drive-always fall under a stricter law.

So are you saying that bike theft should be changed to fall under the second category, where the penalty is based on something other than the money value of the stolen item? In other words, a crime category like "grand theft bicycle" with a heavier charge. If that's what you mean, I think it's worth considering. There's plenty of precedents for this--including grand theft auto and cowboys hanging horse rustlers.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-03-13, 05:49 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I'm not clear on what you're saying. I'm pretty sure that ILTB was not saying it's ok to steal anything. No reasonable person would ever believe that or argue that!

But presently, there are degrees of severity in theft laws that are often based on the value of the stolen item. For example, if the value of a stolen bike--or most other items--is less than $100 (or some other value, depending on the jurisdiction) the penalty for petty larceny might be a small fine or a few weeks in the county jail. If the value of the stolen bike is more than $100, the penalty will be much harsher.

But some items fall under different laws. If a car is stolen, there is a different charge of grand theft auto. No matter the value of the car, there is a very harsh penalty. Similarly, if you steal $5 worth of candy from a gas station, you will get a light penalty. If you drive away with $5 worth of gas, you will get a harsher sentence because gas drive-always fall under a stricter law.

So are you saying that bike theft should be changed to fall under the second category, where the penalty is based on something other than the money value of the stolen item? In other words, a crime category like "grand theft bicycle" with a heavier charge. If that's what you mean, I think it's worth considering. There's plenty of precedents for this--including grand theft auto and cowboys hanging horse rustlers.
Of all the improvements we could come up with one of the ones that would impress me the most, and add to my willingness to cycle even more than I do, bike security would help. The police don't seem too interested even if my bike might cost more than some cars. when I rode Motorcycles they were considered a object of interest to the police even if it was as small as a Honda 90. Scooters were the same. But it seems as if the police see "All" bikes as a toy and unless they are doing a sting don't seem too interested in catching or prosecuting theft. I believe, but have no proof, if bicycle theft were taken seriously cycling would be taken more seriously. Stiffer penalties and more enforcement would do go a long way to getting people to bike I believe.
Old 08-03-13, 07:17 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rrg
I have been attacked while riding on my bicycle at night, after I yelled at a woman who turned right within inches of my bike; some guy at her house heard me and him and another guy came after me, in cars, on dark streets. They of course eventually got me and sent me to the hospital (didn't steal my bike or even my backpack -- idiots).

So, if I had a gun with me, I think I could have injured or killed at least one of them (I'm 58 years old). That instant my life would effectively be over: I would have killed a man, would certainly have stood trial, and even if cleared, would be in civil court of 10 years. I would have lost my job, lost my professional license probably, and would be completely bankrupt. My daughter would see me through this incident, as would everyone I know. Us alpha males can howl all we want and beat our chests, but like someone said in an earlier post, life isn't Hollywood.
Depends on the laws of the state you are in...

In NC if you are defending yourself on your own property you cannot be sued in civil court if it was determined that it was self defense. Supposedly this extends to your vehicle. I do agree that in your case it may have been a different outcome.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-03-13, 08:41 PM
kevistopheles

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Sport, 93 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
Me too...if you think you can reliably defend yourself against 3 committed, reasonably fit attackers...you may know less than you think.
I really feel for someone that has had to deal with this. I was bullied as a kid...it sucks. I can't imagine how much worse it is to be bike-jacked. I know I'm fortunate to have not had to ever deal with it. I've had someone try to mug me years ago but that was just one person and I managed to talk my way out of it. He was a real big guy with some sort of training and while I might have been able to get away I would've been hurt.

I've got 25 years of training...and it's POSSIBLE defend yourself against multiple attackers but you gotta be committed to it and that means willing to do some serious damage to another human being. Even if they're unarmed and you're REALLY REALLY good you still stand a good chance of getting badly hurt and/or critically injuring your attackers (or worse). It's not like the movies. People are pretty fragile. If they've got weapons (even sticks or knives) you're screwed.

I don't now about how other folks feel about that but I'd just as soon give them my bike. It's not worth it. I can go get another bike. I want to be around so see my son have kids someday (he's 10). If by some stroke of luck everything goes my way and I manage to fight them off I don't want to carry around the knowledge that I put someone in the ground to do it.

I'd do it to protect my wife or son from physical harm but not my bike. It's just a thing.

Last edited by kevistopheles; 08-03-13 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-04-13, 10:08 PM
seventies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading this thread has really opened my eyes. I have never run into any trouble as serious as mentioned here (either actual or just the fear of)- and I commute to and from work at all hours of the day. The worst so far has been some kids hurling insults at me from their parents' SUV. Oh ya and a guy who got out of his Jag to confront me in downtown traffic haha. But that's it, have never had to actually worry about the threat of an attack.

Also, some of you guys carry a gun while riding a bicycle??? Are you mad? It sounds like a terrifying world out there, I just can't comprehend...Oh well, maybe I have just been fortunate enough up until now to not have any serious confrontations . Stay safe everyone.
Old 08-20-13, 03:01 AM
Sangetsu

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
In America I owned a car, but generally lived car-free. My bike racked up the miles, and my car accumulated dust. I was never "bike jacked", though I did sometimes go up against aggressive drivers. I worked for law enforcement at the time, and carried a gun at all times (even on weekend group rides), and I came out on top in altercations with drivers. It was funny to watch them lose their sneers and their anger when I showed them my ID and ordered them to get out of their cars. They quit their cursing and threatening, and then begin aplogizing. I always wore a badge on a lanyard tucked into my jersey.

Now I don't own a car, and I commute between my home and my office by bicycle. Japan is a much different place to ride than America, here the larger vehicle is considered at fault in accidents, and all accidents are classified as crimes, rather than infractions, so drivers tend to be very careful around bikes and pedestrians.
Old 08-20-13, 03:23 PM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rrg
Good point. I wasn't on my own property, so who knows. I've revisited that incident many, many times in the past year.
But you were 'in' your vehicle you don't necessarily need to be on your property. In many places (Texas for sure, but Florida and NC as well I believe) if you were found to have been acting in self defence you would be immune from civil liabilities as well (as it should be).

The only complication in your story is you might not have been found to have used self-defence because it might be argued that you initiated the conflict by yelling at her in the first place. A VERY good reason to avoid expressing ones natural anger, particularly if armed (with anything)... Being armed tends to involve a greater requirement to avoid conflicts.

Last edited by PlanoFuji; 08-20-13 at 03:37 PM.