Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Should I get it? State 6061 Black Label - new bike time

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 04-12-21, 11:12 PM
Andyota

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Langster, 1997, 1999 and 2000 Schwinn Homegrown, a couple 1990s Mongoose IBOC MTBs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Ok, I'm no lightweight, but I've got plenty of bikes that I can ride without concerns of damage. I'm 6' tall, 305#, and I'm considering a State Bicycle Company 6061 Black Label 700c All-road bike. My Specialized Langster appears to have a comparable frame/fork, and wheels, but I wanted to know if there are any clydes that have ridden this bike or heard horror stories of heavy riders on this bike that may help me make my decision. I love my SS Langster, but I need gears because taking rides with 1000+ feet of elevation gain are killer, and as my rides get longer, the flat spaces get more scarce.

Hope someone can weigh in (pun intended).

Thanks,
Andy
Old 04-13-21, 10:57 PM
Andyota

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Langster, 1997, 1999 and 2000 Schwinn Homegrown, a couple 1990s Mongoose IBOC MTBs.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Doubtful anyone is interested at this point, but they (State) tests with riders up to 300# and have anecdotal evidence/accounts of riders over 300 without issue. I will say I'm still a little wary of the full carbon fork, but we will see in a couple months when mine arrives.

A
Old 04-23-21, 12:56 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
In case nobody said so... Welcome to Bike Forums.

You'll enjoy the gearing of that bike a lot more than the Langster.
It should open up options to take routes in your area you never thought to tackle previously.

NBD can't come soon enough!

All the best

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-30-21, 12:37 AM
Andyota

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I think that any gearing beyond my current 46/16 is an advantage. I've ordered the bike, I'm very excited. By late June when it arrives, I should also weigh less, so win/win. I'll share my experiences as I get to know the new kid. Thank you for your responses, and thanks for the welcome, I'm looking forward to the networking, and maybe I'll find someone in the neighborhood to ride with.
Old 05-13-21, 05:08 AM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I like the State 6061 Black Label geometry and all carbon fork. Would like more info on the wheels and what bottom bracket.
The components are rebranded Sensah 1x groupset. I agree you should like the gearing much more.

Looks like State has a good return policy. 100% satisfaction guarantee
Nothing wrong with aluminium for clydes . I'm 6' 3" now @ 210 but been as high as 270.
I ridden Orbea , Klein and now have a Allez. I did break a few rear spokes in my day mostly when I went with stupid light wheels.
Enjoy your new ride , bummer the wait is so long for so many bikes and accessories.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 05-13-21 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-13-21, 06:20 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have NBD in April. I haven't been a Clyde in a while but the bike does feel very solid. What color did you get? I first got sucked in by the Pacific Blue researching various bikes, then a Pigeon Gray dropped in my lap. LBS showed stock on 4130 so I went see what the Sensah components were like. Sitting right next to it was a 6160 in my size. I thought the gray with black trim looked pretty cool as well, plus it has the SRAM components, got it on the spot. Mine may see gravel some day, I was more interested in something that I was more comfortable with bunny hopping and bounding over bad pavement. I have one hill that's part of every ride up to 30 mph over heavily, poorly patched road. My nearly 40 yr old road bikes feel like there going to come apart at the welds. Combined with at least superficial rust and my age I was beginning to get squeamish about going all out.

Last edited by gear64; 05-13-21 at 06:28 AM.
Likes For gear64:
Old 05-13-21, 11:10 PM
Andyota

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gear64
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have NBD in April. I haven't been a Clyde in a while but the bike does feel very solid. What color did you get? I first got sucked in by the Pacific Blue researching various bikes, then a Pigeon Gray dropped in my lap. LBS showed stock on 4130 so I went see what the Sensah components were like. Sitting right next to it was a 6160 in my size. I thought the gray with black trim looked pretty cool as well, plus it has the SRAM components, got it on the spot. Mine may see gravel some day, I was more interested in something that I was more comfortable with bunny hopping and bounding over bad pavement. I have one hill that's part of every ride up to 30 mph over heavily, poorly patched road. My nearly 40 yr old road bikes feel like there going to come apart at the welds. Combined with at least superficial rust and my age I was beginning to get squeamish about going all out.
I was hooked by the pacific blue, it may show the dust more, but it’s too pretty to pass up. I also decided on 700c rather than 650B, mostly because it will see largely road and very well groomed gravel. I save the more burly stuff for my 27.5x2.25 MTB. It will be nice having a road leaning bike with multiple speeds, but I’m sure the SS will still get love, I love all my bikes.

come on late June!

**8/25/21 - Late June came and went. I received an email from SBC stating that orders wer being delayed until August, which was a disappointment, but what can you do, The money is already spent. Next post for an update**

Last edited by Andyota; 08-27-21 at 07:53 PM. Reason: delivery update
Old 08-27-21, 07:48 PM
Andyota

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
.4.5 months later, and It's finally here! I dropped it at my favorite bike shop for assembly yesterday at lunch (pro assembly required for warranty activation ), they called me at 4pm after finishing it early today, and there you have it.

I already took it for a short shakedown run with my oldest son, and this is an instant hit. size (M) is perfect for me, the monster forks are gorgeous, stiff and sharp handling, the mechanical disks and shifters are smooth and quiet, and even through they are a 28-hole pinned rim, I think they'll be ok for a season or two with a little attention to keeping the spokes tensioned and rims true. I will likely build another set this winter from a higher-quality hoop, but these will be fine for now. These are the widest road tires I've ridden before (700x38c), but I think I'll get used to them (twist my arm) because they ride like I'm on a cloud.

I'm ready to get back in the saddle, my promotion at work and the associated stress eating is taking over.

Here it is, and pardon my clutter I have far too many hobbies .

Last edited by Andyota; 08-27-21 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-29-21, 05:56 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Nice, congrats!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-29-21, 08:55 PM
Windsore

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's a pretty bicycle.
Likes For Windsore:
Old 08-30-21, 09:19 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Enjoy it. I have had a State Warhawk for a couple years. It is a solid bike, just tensioned the wheels when I first got it and changed the cog to get 70-something gear inches.
Old 05-22-22, 10:05 PM
Idontknownothin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is the State allroad doing? I'm asking because I'm looking to purchase one.