Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

88' ST400 27" cannondale build out (extended crank arms)

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 07-22-22, 10:57 AM
EJS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all, still new here and stoked to be a part of the community! I'm a larger rider at a little over 6'7 and 240-260lbs depending on my lifestyle choices lol. I was lucky enough to come across a vintage Cannondale and am looking to build it out. I'm curious if anyone can confirm that longer crank arms either will/won't work with this particular frame (88' ST400 27") assuming the bottom bracket has enough clearance? i was thinking around 200mm range for custom crank arms. thanks to all who can contribute, the build is going to take me some time due to lack of finances atm but I'm trying to get my posts up so I can post some pictures.... an additional note, any advice on crank sets? I've been looking at King and zinn cycles mostly, and am willing to spend more for components I know will be bomberproof.
Old 09-13-22, 07:12 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by EJS
Hi all, still new here and stoked to be a part of the community! I'm a larger rider at a little over 6'7 and 240-260lbs depending on my lifestyle choices lol. I was lucky enough to come across a vintage Cannondale and am looking to build it out. I'm curious if anyone can confirm that longer crank arms either will/won't work with this particular frame (88' ST400 27") assuming the bottom bracket has enough clearance? i was thinking around 200mm range for custom crank arms. thanks to all who can contribute, the build is going to take me some time due to lack of finances atm but I'm trying to get my posts up so I can post some pictures.... an additional note, any advice on crank sets? I've been looking at King and zinn cycles mostly, and am willing to spend more for components I know will be bomberproof.
Driveline out of Taiwan make some fantastic crank arms in sizes up to 220mm, and will mail them to you for much cheaper than Zinn cycles, just so you know.

It would depend on your bottom bracket clearance. I've ridden 190mm crank arms on a standard road bb height and had to be very mindful of striking. it still would happen here and there. on a standard height of 275mm from the ground to centre of spindle, I would not go longer than 190mm..
Old 09-16-22, 02:00 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Like Moisture said, it'll clear fine when going straight or into lighter corners when pedaling, but if you're leaned over decently, and depending on pedals, you'll just have to coast and keep the inside pedal at 3:00/9:00 or in the upright and locked position. If running platforms/flat pedals, definitely be wary of pedaling through tighter corners that necessitate leaning over a good bit.

Another way to give yourself some buffer is by running larger tires than stock or what it came with, if possible. That can give back some important mm's.