Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

SRAM SX Eagle shifting - fix or upgrade?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-22, 06:31 PM
geo8086

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi. I recently purchased a 2021 Specialized Rockhopper Expert from Craigslist. It has an SRAM SX Eagle 1x12 drivetrain. It is barely ridden and basically new. I am disappointed in the quality of the shifting. Using the barrel adjuster on the shifter, I can get it shifting well in the high gears or (with a different adjustment) in the low gears, but not both high and low gears at the same time. I have read that the SX derailleur & shifter are problematic and seen recommendations to upgrade to the NX or GX derailleur & shifter. But at the same time, I'm surprised that Specialized would sell a bike at this price that wouldn't shift well out-of-the-box.

Does anyone have any opinion on whether it is worth paying a shop to work on the SX derailleur & shifter? Or, should I just give up on the SX and order an NX or GX derailleur & shifter, which are supposed to be compatible with my cassette. I suspect getting a shop to work on the SX would be a large fraction of the cost of just upgrading to an NX or GX. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old 01-09-22, 07:01 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 715 Times in 368 Posts
I would at least have a shop check it out. Could easily be something as simple as a misaligned hanger or kinked/damaged cable.
Old 01-09-22, 07:19 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
In addition to reply above, the limit screws may need to be adjusted properly. It also could be and may sound strange, the derailleur cable was pulled through too tightly.

I had installed a SRAM Apex system on my hybrid bike. I like others pulled the cable too tightly and could only shift properly within a few gears.

I would first suggest checking out many YouTube video's on how to adjust this derailleur before spending money on a new one.

If the bike was sold to you with the bike shop sticker still on it, it's possible the LBS may provide a free adjustment for you. Some shops I know of provide this free of charge for a few years, some for life, as long as that sticker is still on bike and may not matter if you are the original owner. If it's still on, check with the shop to see if they offer the service.
Old 01-09-22, 07:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
In addition to reply above, the limit screws may need to be adjusted properly. It also could be and may sound strange, the derailleur cable was pulled through too tightly.

I had installed a SRAM Apex system on my hybrid bike. I like others pulled the cable too tightly and could only shift properly within a few gears.

I would first suggest checking out many YouTube video's on how to adjust this derailleur before spending money on a new one.

If the bike was sold to you with the bike shop sticker still on it, it's possible the LBS may provide a free adjustment for you. Some shops I know of provide this free of charge for a few years, some for life, as long as that sticker is still on bike and may not matter if you are the original owner. If it's still on, check with the shop to see if they offer the service.
I don't know of any shops that will provide free service for anyone just because of a sticker? My last shop did it for the original owner and now they are closed (though that wasn't the whole story and they had many other issues unrelated to the bikes). We do two free tune ups and certainly help out our regulars for small stuff but it is rare for anyone to go beyond original purchaser.

Like others have said I would at the very least have someone professional look it over. SX isn't great but it is a modern drivetrain and decently built. It should be able to be fixed and work just fine and if not then you look at replacement stuff but I doubt it is that screwed up that it is unfixable for a reasonable amount.
Old 01-09-22, 07:53 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I don't know of any shops that will provide free service for anyone just because of a sticker? My last shop did it for the original owner and now they are closed (though that wasn't the whole story and they had many other issues unrelated to the bikes). We do two free tune ups and certainly help out our regulars for small stuff but it is rare for anyone to go beyond original purchaser.

Like others have said I would at the very least have someone professional look it over. SX isn't great but it is a modern drivetrain and decently built. It should be able to be fixed and work just fine and if not then you look at replacement stuff but I doubt it is that screwed up that it is unfixable for a reasonable amount.
Germantown Cycles in MD had offered this when I owned my Specialized bike and it was transferable. Not to say they still do this today, but as long as that decal was on, they gave free adjustments.

OP, like I said, check with your LBS on what they do offer. With the way the market is, it's doubtful anyone is offering much of anything for free anymore.
Old 01-10-22, 06:00 AM
Daniel 62
Old Peddler

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had the same setup on a new Trek Marlin. Didnt much care for the Sram Shifting.
Simple solution. Replaced the Rear Der and shifter with Shimano Deore. Pricing for both was about 100$
I did the install. Easy. You can do it, The end result is perfectly smooth & quiet shifting.
Dave
Old 01-10-22, 09:00 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
The SRAM Eagle system shifting is clunky and fnicky. I have it on 2 of my 3 mountain bikes and I'm not a fan. The one bike with the Shimano is way better. Smooth as butter. When the SRAM stuff wears out, I'll be replacing it with Shimano XT.
Old 01-10-22, 04:53 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
The SRAM Eagle system shifting is clunky and fnicky. I have it on 2 of my 3 mountain bikes and I'm not a fan. The one bike with the Shimano is way better. Smooth as butter. When the SRAM stuff wears out, I'll be replacing it with Shimano XT.

Yes --- Have XX1 with Gripshift on my recent "Grail bike" build (love Gripshift from an intuitive shifting standpoint ) --- but as much as i prefer that style of shifter, the rest of the SRAM stuff that comes with it is getting annoying.

Everytime i ride it i keep thinking "How much is it going to cost me to get a Microspline setup and XTR?" LOL My backup bike (an old Santa Cruz Superlight 26" ) has a combination of Shimano Zee and Deore and shifts far smoother
Old 01-10-22, 10:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Germantown Cycles in MD had offered this when I owned my Specialized bike and it was transferable. Not to say they still do this today, but as long as that decal was on, they gave free adjustments.

OP, like I said, check with your LBS on what they do offer. With the way the market is, it's doubtful anyone is offering much of anything for free anymore.
How long ago was that? I have doubts they would still do it and transfer it to someone else. That just seems insane. A shop should offer some free tune ups or at least a check up after purchase just not free tune ups over a sticker.
Old 01-11-22, 01:51 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
OP, what you describe is exactly what we deal with at work. The problem is just the Sram ****. We struggle to get it to work well half the time on brand new bikes. Pull the cables, put some "cable magic" or light grease on them, put them back in the housings, check your derailleur alignment(everything has to be Perfect for that sram crap to work worth a damn), and when you put the cable back on and tighten the derailleur bolt, click the shifter through the first 3-4 gears without pedaling or actually shifting the gears. Basically you're tensioning the cable. Then shift it back down. Do that a few times. Then start using the barrel adjusters to dial in your shifting. You might be able to get it to work through the full cassette range.

Ultimately the answer is to put on a Shimano shifter/derailleur so that your bike will work well.

My shop offers free basic shift and brake adjustments for bikes with our sticker on them. *shrug* Basically it includes barrel adjuster adjustments. If we have to loosen a bolt to adjust a cable then it starts counting as a labor charge. Though really if we have a bike in the stand working on something else anyway, and the bike is from our shop, and it just needs a quick adjustment that requires undoing a bolt, we'll likely go ahead and just do it real quick and not even mention it. The shop has been in business for years, and has grown to 4 locations over the years, so it must work out alright.
Likes For 3speed:
Old 01-11-22, 12:04 PM
travbikeman

How long ago was that? I have doubts they would still do it and transfer it to someone else. That just seems insane. A shop should offer some free tune ups or at least a check up after purchase just not free tune ups over a sticker.
Honestly, it has been nearly 5 years since I last went to the store for any adjustments. Especially since I moved away from that area and now do my own adjustments.

BUT, was curious and did call them. They still do offer lifetime adjustments to their bikes, although, they told me to only the original owner. So not sure if they used to with second owners, nor did I care to ask.

Performance Bikes in the region "used" to offer lifetime adjustments.....BUT....we did see how that ended...... Maybe they should have charged.

You all do have me worried though, my teenage son put a new FS mtn bike on Layaway and it has the SRAM SX groupset. Wondering if I should try to change his mind on that......

Last edited by travbikeman; 01-11-22 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-11-22, 01:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Honestly, it has been nearly 5 years since I last went to the store for any adjustments. Especially since I moved away from that area and now do my own adjustments.

BUT, was curious and did call them. They still do offer lifetime adjustments to their bikes, although, they told me to only the original owner. So not sure if they used to with second owners, nor did I care to ask.

Performance Bikes in the region "used" to offer lifetime adjustments.....BUT....we did see how that ended...... Maybe they should have charged.

You all do have me worried though, my teenage son put a new FS mtn bike on Layaway and it has the SRAM SX groupset. Wondering if I should try to change his mind on that......
Yeah it is not a great business model, certainly more reasonable for original purchasers but not sustainable.

What shocks does the bike have? What sort of other parts are on it? If those parts are good quality the bike will be fine but if the SRAM SX gruppo is the nicest part of it, I might skip but if the other parts are of good quality I wouldn't worry so much about it. Ideally I would want NX or GX ideally but SX is passable and could be upgraded.
Old 01-11-22, 02:27 PM
travbikeman

Yeah it is not a great business model, certainly more reasonable for original purchasers but not sustainable.

What shocks does the bike have? What sort of other parts are on it? If those parts are good quality the bike will be fine but if the SRAM SX gruppo is the nicest part of it, I might skip but if the other parts are of good quality I wouldn't worry so much about it. Ideally I would want NX or GX ideally but SX is passable and could be upgraded.
I wonder if the shop since it is in the DC region receives enough business that they put this as a perk for people to buy from them. dunno...but I do remember when I typically went in for these, I usually walked out with other purchases, where it was tubes at time, gloves or other stuff. But the guys there were super friendly and it made for a great atmosphere, so I'm hopeful they will continue on unlike other shops.

My 17yr old son went with me when I purchased my Giant Trance, so he test rode a Stance 1 and he is totally in love with it. Even though I warned him, it has quick release rear wheels rather thru axle.....on a $2200 bike.....

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-29-1

But he does make a good point that it will help him with taking wheels on and off since he puts his bike in the trunk of his big car.
Old 01-11-22, 02:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I wonder if the shop since it is in the DC region receives enough business that they put this as a perk for people to buy from them. dunno...but I do remember when I typically went in for these, I usually walked out with other purchases, where it was tubes at time, gloves or other stuff. But the guys there were super friendly and it made for a great atmosphere, so I'm hopeful they will continue on unlike other shops.

My 17yr old son went with me when I purchased my Giant Trance, so he test rode a Stance 1 and he is totally in love with it. Even though I warned him, it has quick release rear wheels rather thru axle.....on a $2200 bike.....

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-29-1

But he does make a good point that it will help him with taking wheels on and off since he puts his bike in the trunk of his big car.
I would skip for sure if it is still QR nothing against QR but modern MTB is far beyond that and the benefits of thru-axles are well proven. I can still remove a wheel pretty quickly and honestly I would want to carry a tool with me anyway and would keep one in my car as well just in case. If I was really desperate I would just take the Bosch Electric Screwdriver and the right bits and be fine. That thing is quite awesome and certainly a boon for removing 6b rotors and stem face plates quickly.

I would go with a Specialized Stumpjumper or maybe something a little more exotic like an Ibis Ripley AF or Santa Cruz Tallboy which will cost a bit more but are really great bikes. There is probably some other stuff out there that would be a good bet but that odd QR "boost" spacing thing is just silly and makes it useless for upgrades and with a cheap loose ball hub I would want to upgrade. If it were 135 QR it is at least easier to find wheels but I would rather have boost so I can upgrade wheels or at least 142 spacing at the rear though a lot of stuff has gone boost and honestly when building my hardtail didn't matter in the end I don't need cross compatibility with anything and if I have it cool good stuff.
Old 01-11-22, 03:12 PM
travbikeman

I would skip for sure if it is still QR nothing against QR but modern MTB is far beyond that and the benefits of thru-axles are well proven. I can still remove a wheel pretty quickly and honestly I would want to carry a tool with me anyway and would keep one in my car as well just in case. If I was really desperate I would just take the Bosch Electric Screwdriver and the right bits and be fine. That thing is quite awesome and certainly a boon for removing 6b rotors and stem face plates quickly.

I would go with a Specialized Stumpjumper or maybe something a little more exotic like an Ibis Ripley AF or Santa Cruz Tallboy which will cost a bit more but are really great bikes. There is probably some other stuff out there that would be a good bet but that odd QR "boost" spacing thing is just silly and makes it useless for upgrades and with a cheap loose ball hub I would want to upgrade. If it were 135 QR it is at least easier to find wheels but I would rather have boost so I can upgrade wheels or at least 142 spacing at the rear though a lot of stuff has gone boost and honestly when building my hardtail didn't matter in the end I don't need cross compatibility with anything and if I have it cool good stuff.
I'm trying to get him to see the value of spending $300 more for this instead:

https://www.bikesonline.com/2022-pol...on-mountain-bi

Stumpjumpers are difficult to find at moment. There is a Trek Fuel EX located over an hours drive away.

I need to just take him to some more shops so he can actually see the bikes. It's difficult to get the boy to understand when he doesn't see it.

Anything above this price range is not something he will be able to afford, especially since his Dad is loaning some of the money to assist.
Old 01-11-22, 06:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I'm trying to get him to see the value of spending $300 more for this instead:

https://www.bikesonline.com/2022-pol...on-mountain-bi

Stumpjumpers are difficult to find at moment. There is a Trek Fuel EX located over an hours drive away.

I need to just take him to some more shops so he can actually see the bikes. It's difficult to get the boy to understand when he doesn't see it.

Anything above this price range is not something he will be able to afford, especially since his Dad is loaning some of the money to assist.
That looks like a better deal minus warranty but the parts are better in many places. Love the color though.

Most bikes are hard to get these days.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-11-22, 07:42 PM
geo8086

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OP here. Thanks for all of the advice. I took the bike in to a shop today. They recommended trying a new derailleur hanger but didn't have one in stock (they were not a Specialized dealer). The hanger is also sold out on the Specialized site, so I ordered an aftermarket derailleur hanger from Amazon. I'll let you know how it goes. It seemed like a pretty soft recommendation. When I install the new hanger, I'll also pull the cable, lubricate & stretch it per 3speed's advice. I'll let you know how it goes!
Likes For geo8086:
Old 01-14-22, 09:27 AM
geo8086

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OP here with an update on my progress:

1. I installed a new derailleur hanger. This did not help. I still can't find a barrel adjuster setting that lets me shift smoothly through all 12 speeds. I basically have to choose if I want high gears or low gears to work.
2. I stretched the cable using 3speed's technique. This also did not do much for my problem.
3. I haven't lubed the cable yet, but the lube I ordered should arrive today, so I'll try that tonight and report.

In anticipation of #3 also not working, I have also taken Daniel 62's advice and ordered a Shimano Deore SLX derailleur and shifter (RD-M7100-SGS & SL-M7100). I would have preferred to upgrade with higher-end SRAM Eagle components (NX or GX) so the components in my drive train would be maximally compatible, but this experience with SRAM SX Eagle has made me skeptical about investing in more SRAM drivetrain components. I'll report back with my lube and Shimano experience later.
Old 01-14-22, 10:31 AM
MTB_Fallout

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would definitely get it check out. Since its new you should see if it can fix it, but if not you could upgrade
Old 01-16-22, 09:16 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
FWIW, my wife's Salsa fat bike came with an SX Eagle RD that never shifted well, so I swapped the RD as well as the shifter out for the GX models and it made a significant improvement.
Old 01-16-22, 12:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I haven't heard anything nice about SX, while NX is solid if not special. I knew SX had some plastic but didn't realize there was no clutch. The clutch usually makes shifting harder... it's not for that, it's for chain slap and retention, and if you have one that can be turned on or off, you can feel the difference.

I found this on "bikeperfect.com"

SRAM SX Eagle and NX Eagle rear derailleurs compared

The SX Eagle rear derailleur is made out of stamped steel and injection moulded plastic, and it’s held together with rivets as opposed to the pins and clips of more expensive models. Like NX, its ‘cage lock’ feature can click the mech into a forward position to make wheel removal easier, and like NX Eagle it can handle ranges of 11-50 and 10-50.

Confusingly there are actually two versions of the SX Eagle mech: a lower-spec ‘A1’ version which tends to be fitted to cheaper bikes as an OE part, and a ‘B1’ version, which tends to be available aftermarket, but it’s worth checking what you’re getting.

The SX B1 version is quite close to the NX mech, with a pulley entry point for the cable to make shifting smoother, and ball-bearing jockey wheels. The main differences are that the NX Eagle mech has a built-in clutch mechanism, to help keep the chain stable and minimize dropped chains, and features higher-grade alloys in places.

The SX A1 version is a bigger step-down, with no pulley entry for the cable, and simple self-threaded adjustment screws in the plastic body. Earlier models also had simple bushings on the jockey wheels rather than bearings.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-16-22, 07:34 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I haven't heard anything nice about SX, while NX is solid if not special. I knew SX had some plastic but didn't realize there was no clutch. The clutch usually makes shifting harder... it's not for that, it's for chain slap and retention, and if you have one that can be turned on or off, you can feel the difference.

I found this on "bikeperfect.com"
WOW! So many new mountain bikes over $2000 has the SX drivetrain and it doesn't even have a clutch to it! I had no idea! Heh, my son and I had gone to several bike shops this past few days and the SX is on many bikes from Giant, Trek and few others.

I even had to check on Sram's website and sure enough, they don't put any information for the SX as having a clutch mech. Strange that an inexpensive Sram Apex 1 I put on my hybrid does have a clutch and metal material, but Sram cheaped out so badly on the SX.

The Giant LBS was straight up with us that this is the most likely first upgrade to replace the SX right away. The LBS was suggesting to spend a few dollars more and get the GX over the NX.

I feel fortunate to have shown my son to skip some of these bikes and get something better.

Last edited by travbikeman; 01-16-22 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-16-22, 07:55 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
WOW! So many new mountain bikes over $2000 has the SX drivetrain and it doesn't even have a clutch to it! I had no idea! Heh, my son and I had gone to several bike shops this past few days and the SX is on many bikes from Giant, Trek and few others.

I even had to check on Sram's website and sure enough, they don't put any information for the SX as having a clutch mech. Strange that an inexpensive Sram Apex 1 I put on hybrid does have a clutch and metal material, but Sram cheaped out so badly on the SX.

The Giant LBS was straight up with us that this is the most likely first upgrade to replace the SX right away. The LBS was suggesting to spend a few dollars more and get the GX over the NX.

I feel fortunate to have shown my son to skip some of these bikes and get something better.
Yeah, in the case of my wife's bike as noted above - a carbon Salsa Beargrease - it came stock with SX components with the intention of keeping a carbon-framed bike more affordable for entry-level riders. Compared to the GX I replaced it with, the SX was absolutely horrible.
Likes For jim_pridx:
Old 01-16-22, 08:01 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by jim_pridx
Yeah, in the case of my wife's bike as noted above - a carbon Salsa Beargrease - it came stock with SX components with the intention of keeping a carbon-framed bike more affordable for entry-level riders. Compared to the GX I replaced it with, the SX was absolutely horrible.
Yea, this is kind of blowing my mind at moment.....We found a Stumpjumper alloy being built at a LBS. It comes with the SX and Specialized wants $2650 for this bike.....
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 01-16-22, 10:26 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Yeah, the steel parts on carbon frames lately is a head scratcher!

For high volume models there's usually a 2nd level alloy bike that has way better components all around. IF you can find it for sale
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-16-22 at 10:48 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.