Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

East Coast Greenway in Baltimore?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-22, 09:46 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts

Hey all, my son in Baltimore might be getting a job that would require him to get from where he lives in Hampden, out to Hopkins/Bayview. I was researching bikable routes, and I see there's this "East Coast Greenway" thing. I can't tell from Google Maps what that's really like, but in this section it looks like just regular street, maybe with some protected bike lanes.

Can anybody on the ground tell me what this Greenway is like, between 29th and Monument?

Also, after Patterson Park, what's Eastern Ave like? Or would it be quieter to pop up to Bank or Gough?
Old 04-29-22, 09:35 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
2-part answer, and neither part really answers your questions.

First, you might consider re-posting your query in the mid-Atlantic sub-group.

Second, about the East Coast Greenway, it / they have never built an inch of anything. The ECGW is a notional route from Key West in Florida to Calais in Maine. Where it exists, ECGW signs can be helpful for wayfinding. My own experience: if I'm clueless about a locale, the ECGW can be a good resource for starters.

The ECGW is a 501(c)(3) entity. They're funded by contributions and contributions are more likely forthcoming from e.g.: recreational horseback riders than bicycle commuters. This, in no small way, affects their orientation and priorities.

None of this really answers your questions; sorry.
Old 04-29-22, 11:26 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

thx for offering your insight, I had no idea it was completely private thing

Maybe is there a mod that can move this thread into the mid-Atlantic sub-group for me?
Old 04-30-22, 04:07 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
I live in Hampden, and my suggestion would be for him to reconnoiter some Saturday or Sunday, preferably by car, to see whether he's willing to ride through what are some of the most bike-unfriendly areas in Baltimore.

That said, I'd take University Parkway and then side streets to Lake Montebello and then ride the paved bike trail in Herring Run Park. He should plot out additional side streets for the last couple of miles to Bayview. He should definitely avoid Edison Highway.
Old 04-30-22, 04:18 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Biking through bmore sounds awful. It's all ****ed up or under construction.
Old 04-30-22, 05:28 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I've biked all but the end of the route Trakhak mentions. The Herring Run trail is very nice and it is not too hard to get to it if you find the right side streets. This way will add some time to the commute, but the most direct way would be though some very nasty downtown traffic. The way to find the right side streets is to use the Strava Global Heatmap. In Baltimore either you know someone that can tell you the magic link-up or you suffer for months looking for it or you cheat and use the Heat Map. I took a look in the Heat Map and the whole route appears doable with the right side streets..

https://www.strava.com/heatmap#13.84....30928/hot/all
Old 04-30-22, 07:15 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Thanks all for useful suggestions. No car, so he'd have to reconnoiter by bike. I also think he should consider moving; he's just renting a room and according to CL could easily find a similar situation close to Bayview