Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Help a big sister OUT

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-22, 10:07 AM
Poggi

Bikes: State

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help a big sister OUT

Hello,
As stated in the title I'm a large woman (340lb). I have started my journey to lose weight on a fixed gear. State Core-line Pigeon,32c Vittoria Zaffiro pro graphene 2.0 tires, stocks wheels,upgraded seat and pedals.
My biggest concern right now is my tires. Max psi on those tires are 70. I would like to fill them up to about 90, but I'm concerned of blowouts. These tires have been the smoothest ride I've had since I've got the bike so I'd like to keep them. Also, how frequent are you truing your wheels?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-22, 08:08 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I wouldn’t advise going that far over the max pressure listed on the sidewall, but I’m sure someone, somewhere has probably done it already. It would be better to go with wider tires, but the max size listed for the frame is 28’s so your 32’s are already probably close to max. Measure the frame and you might be able to go even wider.

I true pre-built wheels on day one. A well tensioned and trued wheel should stay true almost indefinitely with normal use. Have a good wheel builder in your area take a look at your wheels, and then make it a habit to check your spokes regularly - especially the rear wheel. If you’ve tuned and trued your wheels and still break a spoke or twist a rim, don’t throw good money after bad. Buy a new wheel with a higher spoke count and a quality build.
Old 05-03-22, 12:42 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Yeah, don’t bother exceeding the maximum pressure listed on the tire sidewall, just get another pair of tires. You don’t want trouble like the tire blowing off the rim, or the tire being more susceptible to damage. You can find some 32c tires that’ll take higher pressure, like the Panaracer Gravelking Slick, which will take 95psi. I used that tire for many years on my “daily driver” bike, and it’s a really nice road tire. Besides hauling my 250lbs or so pounds around, I used it for cargo, and to pull kids in a trailer and a sidecar, sometimes both at the same time! I think it would be a good choice for you.

Gravelking 32s not pictured above, but rather Vittoria Randonneur 32, but they’re only rated to 75psi and really don’t ride all that nicely anyway, although they are durable.
Old 05-11-22, 09:50 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Fixed gear bicycles are very attractive to novice riders because of their simplicity, but I cannot imagine an Athena getting a good enough workout on one to achieve any significant weight loss. Gears are a very necessary evil when you don't have the legs of a Category 4 road racer which makes living with a 76" gear 24/7 a possibility. Not knowing anything more, I would risk putting 90psi in those tires but I don't think it is necessary. 80psi is probably a good target. A 32c (is it really?) 'should' be able to take more than 70psi so this is an indication of tire quality. On the other hand, recentish trends are to lower pressures overall. The tire labeling may be a nod to the reluctance of Rene Herse disciples to willingly put more than 40psi in a tire.
Old 05-11-22, 09:58 AM
Poggi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Fixed gear bicycles are very attractive to novice riders because of their simplicity, but I cannot imagine an Athena getting a good enough workout on one to achieve any significant weight loss. Gears are a very necessary evil when you don't have the legs of a Category 4 road racer which makes living with a 76" gear 24/7 a possibility. Not knowing anything more, I would risk putting 90psi in those tires but I don't think it is necessary. 80psi is probably a good target. A 32c (is it really?) 'should' be able to take more than 70psi so this is an indication of tire quality. On the other hand, recentish trends are to lower pressures overall. The tire labeling may be a nod to the reluctance of Rene Herse disciples to willingly put more than 40psi in a tire.

Thanks for the reply. I do around 10miles on these tires at 70 psi currently. Vittoria zaffiro pro graphene 2.0 32c max pressure is most definitely 70 psi. I'm most worried about long term riding currently. It handles 10 miles fine, but as I'm increasing miles I don't want pinch flats happening in the future.
Old 05-11-22, 09:59 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
You do realize that more PSI equates to harsher ride? You might lose the comfort from those tires that you're now enjoying. Welcome to the forums. Hope to hear more from you as your riding experience progresses.
Old 05-11-22, 10:02 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
Hey Poggi, I have those tires in 28mm on one of my bikes and they've proven to be a very reliable tire. Good luck to ya,
Old 05-11-22, 10:07 AM
Poggi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
You do realize that more PSI equates to harsher ride? You might lose the comfort from those tires that you're now enjoying. Welcome to the forums. Hope to hear more from you as your riding experience progresses.
I definitely have considered the comfort of the ride and im willing to experiment to see how much more I can add with out it being a disaster of a ride.
Old 05-11-22, 10:08 AM
Poggi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Hey Poggi, I have those tires in 28mm on one of my bikes and they've proven to be a very reliable tire. Good luck to ya,
So far I'm enjoying them!
Old 05-11-22, 10:15 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Generally speaking, 70 psi is plenty for 32mm tires, even for heavier riders. Just be sure to keep the tires pumped up to or lose to the max.

However, if you want something that can handle higher pressure, tires are a 'wear item' and need to be changed occasionally. This means there are two possibilities - you can buy some higher pressure 32mm tires now and keep the current tires as spares or to use in the future when you've lost some weight, or you can keep riding with the intent of wearing out the current tires as soon as possible then reward yourself for all the hard work by buying yourself a new pair of tires.

Some 32mm tires I know of that have higher pressure ratings are Conti Gran Prix (various versions - GP 5000, 4 season, etc) and Panaracer Paselas (also various versions - foldable or wire bead, lightweight or with flat protective layers) - all depending on what is available, and there are many options.
Old 05-11-22, 10:22 AM
Poggi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Generally speaking, 70 psi is plenty for 32mm tires, even for heavier riders. Just be sure to keep the tires pumped up to or lose to the max.

However, if you want something that can handle higher pressure, tires are a 'wear item' and need to be changed occasionally. This means there are two possibilities - you can buy some higher pressure 32mm tires now and keep the current tires as spares or to use in the future when you've lost some weight, or you can keep riding with the intent of wearing out the current tires as soon as possible then reward yourself for all the hard work by buying yourself a new pair of tires.

Some 32mm tires I know of that have higher pressure ratings are Conti Gran Prix (various versions - GP 5000, 4 season, etc) and Panaracer Paselas (also various versions - foldable or wire bead, lightweight or with flat protective layers) - all depending on what is available, and there are many options.
I like the idea of rewarding myself with new tires once these wear out. Thanks for that idea! I will keep the tires you've listed in mind as well.