Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your Motobecane Grand Record

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your Motobecane Grand Record

Old 05-10-12, 06:34 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts

what a beaut'.
Old 05-10-12, 07:27 PM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Here is mine.

12 001 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

12 002 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

12 003 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

12 005 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

8 027 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr
Old 05-10-12, 10:05 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
^ that Ol' Yeller is one of my favorites, if I didn't already have a Blk&Red I'd be hunting for one just like it.
Probably a very long hunt.
Old 05-11-12, 07:49 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 74 Posts
^ +1

The black/red GR on eBay I linked to above, with red *lugs* on the headtube rather than the headtube itself being red, must be of the same vintage, very early 70s or before. I hadn't seen one like that before but maybe you veterans have.

I think mine is impolite and is going to jump the queue to get worked on before some other projects.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 05-11-12, 08:37 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
^ that Ol' Yeller is one of my favorites, ....
+1

I could never ride a bike like FTW's though, because seeing those 'crazy' lugs makes my knees weak!

Old 05-11-12, 09:07 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
My friend in college had one of those yellow and black GRs until he ran into the back of a car while messing with his toe strap...
Old 05-11-12, 09:10 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

If we're going to discuss these bikes like they are works of art, we have to start calling that 'craquelure.'

Why not, we already talk about 'patina.'

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 05-11-12, 09:19 AM
rootboy 

Or, though not nearly French, I like the term I learned in China, Al, when I did a lot of searching for old, wooden things while I lived there.
Pi Ke. Pronounced "pee ker", it literally means "skin shell".

Why I've added that here I have no idea.

Anyway, nice Pi ke on that yellow Moto Frank.
Old 05-11-12, 04:50 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here is what I think is a '73 Grand Record. I picked it up last weekend, and I can't stop staring at this French beauty!

-Record hubs
-NR derailleurs (I assume the front is the same as the rear)
-TA crank
-Universal brakes
-Stronglight headset
-SR post
-Brooks Professional
-Tubular rims
-Atom pedals
-Pivo bar/stem

The ST is a much larger than I usually ride, but the TT is spot on. I'm hoping it's nice and comfy I can't wait to get some tires on it, clean it, and go for a ride!

Old 05-11-12, 05:20 PM
Chicago Al 

^ Wow!

Just the paint texture we were talking about. Also, the red lugs/black headtube is just like the bike from eBay last week. The ribbed cable housings almost look like woven cloth rather than plastic...are they? Also they have held color really well compared to plastic...clearly that bike has not sat in a dark room for the last forty years.

If you don't mind, please post the SN...the more of them we can gather, the better the chance of finding a pattern to help in dating. Assuming one exists.

I got the 1978 catalog off velobase this evening, the French rather than US/Export one. It has a much wider range of bikes than were exported, and though the familiar models are in there they are not called the same things, rather the ones we see in the US appear to be a few select models from the racing/radonneur/'sport' lines.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 05-11-12, 05:40 PM
YoKev
hi

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks

The paint texture/color you see is what the whole bike is. There is not one spot of glossy paint anywhere that I can see, but perhaps under the clamps it's shiny. I really like the matte finish.
The cable housings are plastic with the metal spiral underneath, and they certainly look original I suppose.

The SN as best as I can tell is 1750656

*** Rear derailleur says Pat. 72 **

Last edited by YoKev; 05-12-12 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-11-12, 06:13 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Very nice pickup, YoKev.
Old 05-11-12, 06:24 PM
auchencrow

Wow Yokev ! What a nice bike!
Old 05-12-12, 05:12 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
YoKev, done well man.. that will clean up nice. I love a complete find. Great Pi Ke.
Old 06-02-12, 10:22 AM
DsmBerg

Bikes: 72 Motobecane GR, 88 Schwinn Circuit, 72 Schwinn SS, Cannondale Synapse 5, Raleigh Tamland 1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's one I just picked up. No clue on date other than early 70s based on the headbadge and script style decals. RD says pat 71. Paint is bad but components and hubs are all there/original (minus .5 of the front caliper) and very decent. Pivo stem & bars, campy derailers and shifters, TA 52/40 crank, Normandy luxe competition hubs, weinmann 27 rims, stronglight competition headset, atom pedals and skewers, weinmann vanquer brakes and levers, Reynolds 531 (very little left of a single sticker on the seat tube and some triangle gunk outlines on the forks), and campy dropouts and fork ends.

Serial on the non drive side dropout is 1882774, stamp inside the driveside dropout is 64316.

The black paint is pristine but the clear coat on the silver has turned to dust which can be freely removed with a fingernail. Anyone have any tips on getting this off? I would like to make an attempt at getting it off and just trying to shine up and wax the underlying paint. Rubbing compound applied to the underlying paint makes it a couple shades darker and enhances the skin-diseased look, unfortunately. The disease can be seen in this pic the best.

Anyway, it rides great. If I can make the paint presentable I will get it serviced/rebuilt and on the road asap.
Old 06-02-12, 05:51 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 53 Posts
I've posted this before & in another recent Thread, but here 'tis once again...!

Took me a few years to nail down the year it was made, but thx to the Forum & the internet, I'm led to believe it's a '74 model. Serial # stamped on the BB is 3892415. I purchased it as a frame only, maybe in '78 or '79, as it was a new frame hanging in a shop & never built up. It did have a Stronglight BB & Headset already installed. I removed those & replaced the headset w/ an Edco Competition & later installed a Titanium BB spindle & a Campy Aluminum Freewheel. The stem's a 1-record & the handlebars bars are Cinelli Champione Del Mondo's. Mavic GP4 32 hole rims w/ Vittorio Tubulars. I did have to use a drop-bolt to for the rear brake & the front brake just makes it. I put the stitched leather bar wrap on & it's held-up all these years. Last month I did put a new Edco Comp headset in (I bought 4 or 5 of them, all black, when a LBS was closing them out years ago). The former one was pretty chewed-up from years of wrenching on it, but the races are actually still OK. Great Headsets! It's really a light bike & weighs less than 20 lbs & in exclt conditon...

The shop owner was a Frenchman & had been a racer back in the day. He was keen on Motobecane bikes at the time. Pierre was his name & he owned Velo Club Bike shop in San Carlos, CA (long gone). IIRC...I pd $275 for it. I took my time putting it together because I wanted to use all Campy Super Record parts. Yes, they were pricey back then. When done, I rode it for years all through the hills of Woodside, CA. Not necessarily a great hill climber, but what a comfortable cruising bike. I only fell from it once & that was at a stop sign because I couldn't get out of the toe-clips fast enough. No damage done. Still can't stand those things...

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 10-29-12 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-02-12, 06:50 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
That's really a sweet looking ride, Lugnut!
Old 10-29-12, 05:02 PM
Motomadness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paint Formulation

To all on this thread with red-on-black mid-70's Motos:

Awesome bikes and now I want mine back...

I am in the midst of a total renovation of a mid-70s GR on which some time ago was I creamed and unfortunately need to repaint due to road rash. I stripped it year's ago in prep and never got around to it, which presents a problem that I hope someone one this thread can help with. Whereas black is pretty much black, has anyone done or is willing to do a spectrophotometric scan of the red so I can get a proper paint mix?

Also--and now I am stretching my luck with this thread--might anyone know where I could pick up a head badge for this vintage and does anyone have experience with the refabricated decals that are out there?

Thanks to all.
Old 10-29-12, 05:16 PM
rootboy 

Depending on the year, you can get the decals from either Cyclomondo web site, or Velocals. As for the head badge, well...good luck. Which kind was it? Plastic? Metal? Foil?
Old 10-29-12, 05:20 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by DsmBerg
Here's one I just picked up. No clue on date other than early 70s based on the headbadge and script style decals. RD says pat 71. Paint is bad but components and hubs are all there/original (minus .5 of the front caliper) and very decent. Pivo stem & bars, campy derailers and shifters, TA 52/40 crank, Normandy luxe competition hubs, weinmann 27 rims, stronglight competition headset, atom pedals and skewers, weinmann vanquer brakes and levers, Reynolds 531 (very little left of a single sticker on the seat tube and some triangle gunk outlines on the forks), and campy dropouts and fork ends.

Serial on the non drive side dropout is 1882774, stamp inside the driveside dropout is 64316.

The black paint is pristine but the clear coat on the silver has turned to dust which can be freely removed with a fingernail. Anyone have any tips on getting this off? I would like to make an attempt at getting it off and just trying to shine up and wax the underlying paint. Rubbing compound applied to the underlying paint makes it a couple shades darker and enhances the skin-diseased look, unfortunately. The disease can be seen in this pic the best.

Anyway, it rides great. If I can make the paint presentable I will get it serviced/rebuilt and on the road asap.
Nice find. Great bike. Too bad about the clear coat. I'm working on an old Moto right now and the clear has yellowed some. I removed if from the chrome fork ends with citrus stripper. On the paint? Be careful and be sure to check it in an inconspicuous place like under the down tube, but I noticed that alcohol removed part of the clear coat on mine. You need the strong stuff. 90% rubbing alcohol, but try 70% first. May work. The problem will be around the decals, which were actually silk screened, not decals at all. You can't do those as the alchohol would probably remove them. A dilemma. Good luck. That's a cool bike.

BTW. That foil head badge is exactly the same as on the 74-75 Le Champions. I would think a 72 or so would probably have a plastic or metal head badge. But the script letter and painted seat stay caps certainly seem to indicate early 70's
Old 10-29-12, 06:50 PM
Motomadness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Depending on the year, you can get the decals from either Cyclomondo web site, or Velocals. As for the head badge, well...good luck. Which kind was it? Plastic? Metal? Foil?
Metal--destroyed in accident unfortunately. Looking through bike graveyards but no luck as of yet.
Old 10-29-12, 06:52 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
bravo on the photos, gentlemen.

i finished the facelift of my '76/'77. it's easily my best overall ride.

Last edited by eschlwc; 06-29-13 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-29-12, 07:07 PM
Chicago Al 

^Nice!

I will get photos up of mine soon, 'done' as much as we're ever really done with these projects. It looks very much like yours, eschlwc: black Brooks Pro (Team), red bar tape, red cable housings, aero levers for comfort, though I went with the old reliable Tektro R200 as the newer style (R340?) didn't look quite right to me. It looks like you may have the MKS pedals modeled on the old Specialized platforms, and I just got a pair of the latter to try out.

At the recent North Shore Century, C&Ver Night Tiger had his GR, slightly earlier, similar silvery paint as seen in DSM Berg's bike, and in his case it didn't seem so much that the clearcoat was peeling as that the original paint was fading and cracking. It doesn't have that cool 'aged' look as YoKev's or FTW's though, maybe just because of the lighter color. He loves the bike though, and he has had plenty.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 10-29-12, 07:39 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I have to laugh about the GR snobbery, what's with that? Nice Moto B's are uncommon, it appears nice owners might be rarer? Anyway my GJ has something few GR or GJ's will ever have. The original owner (me), purchased new from the Bike Stand in Olympia, Wa..1973. Ridden cross continent in '76 by me. Still ridden by me. Reynolds 531 3 main tubes. Has original bars (Pivo), original Saddle (Ideale), original brake levers (Weinmann), original derailleurs (Huret Jubilee), original crank (SL 49d & SL headset) shorter stem (TTT), and...for the really wild...MaFac cantilevers, Super Champion rims, Avocet hubs. Gorgeous red with black accent and gold pinstriped Nervex cutout lugs. Time Criterium pedals. A sweet smooth ride.

As I barely recall, in '73 a GR I looked at had all 531 DB, including front fork. My GJ was about $214 and the GR was well over $300 (like $375?) and Campy equipped. I also recall that the bottom bracket lugs were cutout on the GR but not on the GJ.
Old 10-29-12, 08:50 PM
Chicago Al 

^ Well, as the guy who started this thread, I'd be glad to go root out any evidence of snobbery or 'not playing nicely with others' if it were pointed out to me. However I can't recall any, nor can I recall anyone saying anything at all negative, until today. Mostly we have been sharing info, complimenting each others' bikes and pictures, and some of have swapped some parts: the usual C&V camraderie.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 10-31-12 at 06:43 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.