Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Pinarello Cadore rolls out of the shop in it's black and neon glory

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 05:14 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts

Build:
1989/90(?) Pinarello Cadore frameset
Campagnolo 1991/2 first-gen Ergo brifters, Record/Chorus/Athena
Campagnolo Chorus RS RD
Campagnolo Chorus RS FD
Campagnolo Chorus RS crankset, 175mm
Campagnolo Chorus RS monoplaner calipers
Campagnolo 8-speed cassette, 12-23
Unknown (Galli?) headset
Campagnolo Gamma clincher rims
Campagnolo Chorus RS rear hub/Shimano 600 front
Cinelli XA stem, 26.4, black anodized, 100mm
Cinelli Giro D'Italia bars, 26.4, 40mm, no groove
Mavic 330/SSC seatpost, 27.2
Selle Italia Turbo SLG saddle
Shimano 600 pedals, Dura-Ace steel clips
Pariba Triathlon tires (120 PSI)
Jagwire Ergon Green cable housing
Fizik black suede Microtex tape

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 09-21-10 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 05:42 PM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts
That's a hot looker! I'd love to see a lettering restoration on that beaut!
Old 09-21-10, 05:45 PM
Lapdanceinlyrca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looking good.
Old 09-21-10, 06:08 PM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looking good Kurt. Tis the season for Italian steel!
Old 09-21-10, 06:12 PM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well done Sir!

Cheers,
Chris
Old 09-21-10, 06:12 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Sweet. I hate to say it, though, but I feel it would look better with black housing. Not sure I can explain why, because the match looks really good; I just find the cables a bit distracting. But maybe that's what you were going for.

[edit] However, if you could find bar tape in that same color, that would be a different story.
Old 09-21-10, 06:23 PM
BentLink

Bikes: '86 Cannondale SR400, '86 Pugeot PX10, '92 Bianchi Axis, '95 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, '00 Fondriest X-Status, '08 Specialized Roubaix, '13 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
While it's a bit much on the neon, that is one nice looking ride! Great job...
Old 09-21-10, 06:26 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I wouldn't have so much hate for brifters if they all looked like those. How well do they work?
Old 09-21-10, 06:31 PM
DRietz

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Grand Bois, out of my personal experience, the older Campy brifters are phenomenal lookers and they work really well. I think some people mention disliking them because of how sharp the shifts are, but I don't notice it.

Oh, also, beautiful bike Kurt!
Old 09-21-10, 08:05 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by The Thin Man
That's a hot looker! I'd love to see a lettering restoration on that beaut!
That's the final detail on the agenda - I only wish I could find some that are the right size and font.

Originally Posted by due ruote
Sweet. I hate to say it, though, but I feel it would look better with black housing. Not sure I can explain why, because the match looks really good; I just find the cables a bit distracting. But maybe that's what you were going for.

[edit] However, if you could find bar tape in that same color, that would be a different story.
I've always felt that way about chrome Schwinns done up with red cable housing - yeeech - the cables upstage the chrome like a bunch of blood-red earthworms crawling over your frame.

I was dead certain on doing this combo though; the neon panels look out of place when you see this machine as a frameset. Doing the saddle and bar tape in that same color would have been amusing (in a 1980's Zunow sort of way), but I knew that I wouldn't find either. Furthermore, I can't stand black hoods on anything but black bar tape. Hence, this combo.

You might find it a better looking combo if you see it in person. That said, 1980's neon detractors will never like it, frame or built.

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I wouldn't have so much hate for brifters if they all looked like those. How well do they work?
They operate as well as they look. Every shift is flawless, and the RD feels very positive and solid - it reminds me of an indexing Nuovo Record without the chainwrap problems. Very different in comparison to the Shimano 600 STI tri-color set I once used, which had that traditionally Shimano spongy lever "feel."

Originally Posted by DRietz
Grand Bois, out of my personal experience, the older Campy brifters are phenomenal lookers and they work really well. I think some people mention disliking them because of how sharp the shifts are, but I don't notice it.

Oh, also, beautiful bike Kurt!
The folks who don't like them are probably used to Shimano. To each their own; I don't like indexed Hyperglide. HG feels too vague and sloppy for my tastes, especially 8-speed. 7-speed is quite reliable by comparison, but all Shimano indexing systems seem prone to incomplete shifts if you let off the lever too quickly.

Some folks love that. I don't - give me a positive push-and-clunk any day of the week.

This said, I was sold on Campag 8 speed a few months ago, when a friend brought a LOOK KG 66 in with a reasonably early Mirage group (8-speed) on it. He was running a 6-speed chain on the thing. A Shimano 7-speed system would have balked at that in an instant, much less an 8-speed system. The Mirage group - with that '70s Regina chain - worked flawlessly. I couldn't believe it.

-Kurt

Old 09-21-10, 08:06 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i want this frame...
Old 09-21-10, 08:16 PM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Fantastic build. That's not to much neon, that's not enough! It looks great the way it is, but if you could find a neon saddle and bar tape, it would send it over the top. In a good way.
Old 09-21-10, 09:12 PM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice one, if I was in the director seat I'd do my best to dig up some old stock or lightly used all dark anodized rims with no "braking surface" from the late 80s (even if they would get ugly over the years with brake use!), matrix made a nice one, with a sorta aero shape even, the silver ones don't work, plus the all black rims look great with tan sidewalls.
Old 09-21-10, 09:12 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Very nice, Kurt.
Old 09-21-10, 09:34 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by divineAndbright
Nice one, if I was in the director seat I'd do my best to dig up some old stock or lightly used all dark anodized rims with no "braking surface" from the late 80s (even if they would get ugly over the years with brake use!), matrix made a nice one, with a sorta aero shape even, the silver ones don't work, plus the all black rims look great with tan sidewalls.
I've got a box-section Mavic, and a GP4 pair. Neither of the hard-anodized rims look that good on a black frame; the anodizing is a greyish brown color which doesn't compliment it.

The best thing to do is go straight to truly black-anodized rims. I have a pair of box-section Ambrosios that fit that description, but they're a mix of high flange and low flange Campag Record.

-Kurt

Old 09-22-10, 04:04 AM
Maanster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks very pretty, and I bet it rides just as well as it looks. I happen to use a setup almost exactly similar to yours on my old italian steel, and can only agree with you on the early 8speed ergos. Shifting is so accurate and responsive, no spongyness whatsoever and just the amount of gear ratios I need.

Personal opinion: While the Mavic seatpost is a rare bird, I think a polished campy aero would do the frame more justice and suit the gruppo better. Right now it almost gives the impression of an extended seat tube, but maybe that's what you want.

/maans
Old 09-22-10, 08:23 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Very nice!
A question: why did you exit the cables before ending the wrap? Do they work better that way or it's for looks?
Old 09-22-10, 09:39 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Maanster
Personal opinion: While the Mavic seatpost is a rare bird, I think a polished campy aero would do the frame more justice and suit the gruppo better. Right now it almost gives the impression of an extended seat tube, but maybe that's what you want.
An extended seattube would be what I saw on a local Merckx MX Leader. Yech - went up 3", the same effect you are seeing with that Mavic post.

That said, one of my fundamental rules of build-ups is to match stem color with the seattube, no exceptions. I tried an all-black post; it clashed with the clear anodized bar sleeve. The Mavic balanced it out. Seatpost and saddle is black/silver/black; handlebar, stem, and bar wrap is black/silver/black.

Originally Posted by Reynolds
Very nice!
A question: why did you exit the cables before ending the wrap? Do they work better that way or it's for looks?
For looks. I'm adamant about always leaving a perfect edge between the bar tape and handlebar sleeve.

Old 09-22-10, 10:26 AM
junkfoodjunkie
@$#!?&!!$

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking bike Kurt!

-Jake
Old 09-22-10, 10:29 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I wouldn't have so much hate for brifters if they all looked like those.
I couldn't agree more. Shimano Brifters look like clunky garbage...those campy levers don't look much different from normal brake levers.

Those campy brifters are Probably the only reason why I'm compelled to build a bike with a campy drivetrain
Old 09-22-10, 11:02 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
I couldn't agree more. Shimano Brifters look like clunky garbage...
I didn't mind the way the 600's looked. A bit large, but reasonably pleasing; they complimented my Giro D'Italia bars nicely:

I wish I could say something positive for the way they operated.

I rather like the current SRAM design - particularly as you can get gum HUDZ hoods for them. If I had to pick out modern brifters, they'd be my first choice. Campag's SR-11 design is flat out disgusting, their previous hood was boxy, and everything Shimano has put out recently looks as if it came out out of the drafting board's trash can.

-Kurt

Old 09-22-10, 11:04 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
I couldn't agree more. Shimano Brifters look like clunky garbage...those campy levers don't look much different from normal brake levers.

Those campy brifters are Probably the only reason why I'm compelled to build a bike with a campy drivetrain
+1 Those Shimano brifters are terribly unappealing to me. The early Campy Ergo levers, however, are pretty sharp. I'd put them on one of my rides. They have nice lines and look to follow the curvature of the bar exactly on Kurt's Pinarello.
Old 09-22-10, 11:09 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
+1 Those Shimano brifters are terribly unappealing to me. The early Campy Ergo levers, however, are pretty sharp. I'd put them on one of my rides. They have nice lines and look to follow the curvature of the bar exactly on Kurt's Pinarello.
The first-gen Campagnolo Ergos look even better on Campione Del Mundo's, but you can't downshift from the drops on one of those bars.

-Kurt

Old 09-22-10, 12:21 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Sharp looking bike. I don't find the neon too much. It's a plus that the neon is contained in the more classic-looking bands, versus the fade patterns which were popular in the 80s. I recently saw a bright purple faded Pinarello at a garage sale at a decent price, but the paint scheme on that bike was just a little too much for me. Not at all the case here.

+1 on black rims.

Btw, those black anodized Campy parts would also look great on this bike:

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 09-22-10, 12:53 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I'm half tempted to trade my cranks, derailers, and brakes for your Century bits.

-Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.