Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Summer Streets NYC - strategies

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-15, 07:29 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I decided to ride the Summer Streets route @ 7:00 am this morning. The route starts at E 72nd and ends at the entrance to the Brooklyn Bridge. Having done this route in 2013 - I decided to give it another whirl. Fun. Nice to take in the sights without cars on Park Avenue. I stopped at most of the venues and got a free cold coconut drink near City Hall.

At City Hall there is a fun inflatable slide for kids. And there is a wire slide near the court houses. Long lines even at 8:00 am. The doggie area near Astor Place is fun if you like seeing dogs quas-playing and there was some activity even at 8:15 am. There are all manner of riders and I even a few hot rodders on their carbon bikes. If you are after some speed you might manage a decent pace after 59th st. and up to the upper East Side before 9:00 am. Other than that there were too many joggers, little kids on their bikes, plus idiots not paying attention crossing the intersections without looking @ 8:30 am.

What gets me is that there are so many people riding with cell phone in hand - videotaping their ride, or talking and weaving. Isn't Summer Streets to disconnect a little and enjoy the scenery and people?
Old 08-08-15, 08:00 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Summer streets is a mess. It's not fun to ride with thousands of inattentive people. I'll pass!
Old 08-08-15, 09:57 AM
Essex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Summer streets is a mess. It's not fun to ride with thousands of inattentive people. I'll pass!
Yes. This is/can be true - but you can get a free Coconut drink which makes all the nuts out there tolerable.
Old 08-09-15, 02:20 PM
Recumbomatic

Bikes: 2005 Performer Toscana, RANS V3 steel, RANS Citi, Kona Hoo-Ha

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The route needs to be longer to spread people out over a greater area... and of course attract more people. Lived in NYC 1999-2007 before Summer Streets
Old 08-09-15, 02:24 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
"I have never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude." - Henry David Thoreau

CREDIT

I look for big events, then plan my day at an area where such an event sucks all the people AWAY from. Like the minute NFL football kicks off Sunday afternoon, I go for a bike ride in a deserted city. Maybe Summer Streets would make Central Park better for cycling for a few hours?

Last edited by JoeyBike; 08-09-15 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-09-15, 04:59 PM
Essex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
"I have never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude." - Henry David Thoreau

CREDIT

I look for big events, then plan my day at an area where such an event sucks all the people AWAY from. Like the minute NFL football kicks off Sunday afternoon, I go for a bike ride in a deserted city. Maybe Summer Streets would make Central Park better for cycling for a few hours?
Cheers. It makes sense that a large event would draw away people - but Summer St. lasts only from 7-1pm. I saw a large numbers around the 9:00 am mark. While # of cyclists in Central Park may drop - it is highly populated by tourists all summer and well into Fall and early winter. Also, there a tons of aggressive pedicab operators selling their services on top of the large, horse-drawn carriages. There are also several bike rentals companies near the periphery of the park renting bikes to multitude of tourists who wobble about in Manhattan traffic and amid the throngs of joggers, walkers and people who seem determined to walk in bike lanes vs. ped walkways.

Overall, the total # of people in Manhattan & road traffic drops during the summer weekends as wealthier Manhattanites migrate to their other homes. If anything, the city is trying something different. For what reason - I am not really sure as I have not looked into the metrics of this program and its desired effects.
Old 08-15-15, 10:45 AM
Essex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided to observe and ride Summer Streets again. This time at 12:00 PM. What a zoo. And it is hot. I think what Lost Architect said prior holds true for hours past 9:00 am. Too many bikes, too many Speed Demons and kids who weave in and out.

What gets me is seeing higher % of idiots making cell calls, taking selfies, or holding those stupid video poles while riding their bikes.
Old 08-15-15, 02:25 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
After my first time maybe 2 years ago I decided it's not worth it. But anyway, I did this morning mostly one-way. Just as usual, families, kids on scooters, ... I had to keep my hands on the brakes most of the time. Even on the few downhill parts you have to slow down and even brake becaues the crowds were too slow there. on my way back I didn't take the Park Ave, what a difference, quiet and fast all the way. It's also no fun when it's so hot. I think I did it maybe last year on a rainy day, and it was much better with less people. Usually people who normally never ride on the streets with vehicles around take advantage of this program, as well as those learning to ride.

Instead of 3 Saturdays 7am-1pm, how about every day, say, at dusk, for a few weeks?

Last edited by vol; 08-15-15 at 02:29 PM.