Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike infrastructures created positive impact for local economies

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 07:30 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts

"9 instances in which bike infrastructure created positive impacts on the local economy":

https://momentummag.com/bike-infrast...iness-impacts/
Old 04-08-16, 04:28 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very interesting. Thanks. I had a cursory look at the NYC DOT data - have to see if there is any baseline data there?
Old 04-08-16, 07:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
The first paragraph of the Memphis part is somewhat analogous to the revitalization of one part of Philly: The Manayunk section. Once home to some textile places and other blue collar industries, the place declined mucho. One common site were old, drunk men in various states of stupor, and many of the storefronts were vacant. There is an old canal path behind Main St., but it's the bike trail that was built a few miles further west that helped with the areas revitalization. The natural way for people living in and around "center city" Philadelphia to get to the trail is to ride Main St. through Manayunk. As more and more sections of the trail were completed and the trail grew in popularity, more and more people were passing through Manayunk. A few years ago, work was done on the unpaved canal path, which connects with the trail, to make it rideable even with skinny tires. Today, the trail and canal path are bike super highways on the weekends, and Manayunk is filled with businesses. Urbanites and suburbanites use the trail and path to come to the area for things like brunch and coffee. There is one coffee shop in particular that is extremely popular with cyclists. On a nice early Saturday afternoon it's not uncommon to see a dozen or more cyclists there at any given moment. While the trail and canal path were not the only reasons Main St. came back to life, they were certainly big contributors.
Old 04-08-16, 10:18 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
If you build it they will come. Same thing here in Rhode Island with the East Bay Bike Path. It is used not only for recreation, attracting locals and visitors even from out of state. Early in the morning before light, commuters are out on their was to work in Providence. R.I. and other nearby states are busy planning other bike paths and extensions of current paths. Eventually it will be possible to ride to Cape Cod.
Old 04-08-16, 01:02 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some business owners finally accepted them here.

Vancouver's bike lanes finally accepted by downtown business group - British Columbia - CBC News
Old 04-08-16, 02:47 PM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
If you build it they will come. Same thing here in Rhode Island with the East Bay Bike Path. It is used not only for recreation, attracting locals and visitors even from out of state. Early in the morning before light, commuters are out on their was to work in Providence. R.I. and other nearby states are busy planning other bike paths and extensions of current paths. Eventually it will be possible to ride to Cape Cod.
Did a quick image search. What a nice pathway. Would be very cool when it connects to the Cape!
Old 04-09-16, 10:54 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Eventually it will be possible to ride from Provincetown on Cape Cod to Rhode Island and north on the Blackstone River Bikeway on on up to Wooster in Massachusetts, a distance of about 125 to 150 miles or so. The desire by government is there, just the money to do it all in one shot is missing. It will happen piece by piece as funds become available.
Old 04-09-16, 12:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I'm sure there are many other examples.

If you consider the Katy Trail in Missouri. There are a few sections that don't get a lot of use, but perhaps the length of the trail helps attract users. Around the St. Louis area, the beginning of the trail in St. Charles attracts a lot of people, many may stop in town for a little shopping too. And, then head down the trail, and Defiance, for example, I think has bike rentals, shops that sell ice cream and treats, a small restaurant, and etc, all receiving customers related to the trail.

Perhaps trickle-down economics too as their ice cream (custard?) is bought from elsewhere.

Marthasville also had a great ice cream shop on the trail. I didn't see a lot of riders heading out that far, but a few dollars a day can give a welcome boost to any business.

Plus the occasional bike shop along the route. Bed and Breakfasts?
Old 04-09-16, 12:26 PM
CliffordK

I wonder if bicycles will help revitalize some city centers as bikes head to the center, and cars head out to suburban shopping malls.
Old 04-09-16, 02:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I wonder if bicycles will help revitalize some city centers as bikes head to the center, and cars head out to suburban shopping malls.
Revitalize city centers? In what manner, shopping, night life, demand for housing? I suspect that outside of a few bars patronized by hipsters, few center city areas or establishments will be revitalized by bicycles heading to the city either for commuting or shopping.
Old 04-09-16, 04:14 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Revitalize city centers? In what manner, shopping, night life, demand for housing? I suspect that outside of a few bars patronized by hipsters, few center city areas or establishments will be revitalized by bicycles heading to the city either for commuting or shopping.
Here in the USA, people think nothing of jumping in the car and driving 10 miles to pick up some groceries.

In Europe, many people walk or ride their bikes those 3 blocks to the nearest grocery store. And the night life of people getting out and walking around is very different.

The number of people who get out and ride their commuter 40 miles a day are few and far between here. Yet, 5-10 miles total (several trips) is well within the realm of possibility for many people.

Many cities are, in fact, experiencing some revitalization of an old-town center where people are actually within walking distance to many local shops, often catering to an upscale crowd.
Old 04-09-16, 05:14 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Here in the USA, people think nothing of jumping in the car and driving 10 miles to pick up some groceries.

In Europe, many people walk or ride their bikes those 3 blocks to the nearest grocery store. And the night life of people getting out and walking around is very different.

The number of people who get out and ride their commuter 40 miles a day are few and far between here. Yet, 5-10 miles total (several trips) is well within the realm of possibility for many people.

Many cities are, in fact, experiencing some revitalization of an old-town center where people are actually within walking distance to many local shops, often catering to an upscale crowd.
Is that what you meant, revitalizing European center cities? How much do you believe bicycles have played (or will play) in revitalization of old-town centers of large cities in the USA? Maybe in small villages along a tourist trail but in city centers? Doubtful IMO.
Old 04-09-16, 06:27 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
There's a bunch of restaurants and stores around here where drives have to circle for twenty minutes to find a parking spot and then walk a few hundred yards to get to the place. I admire the grit and determination displayed by these local motorists but I'm too lazy to join them -- I go there by bike.
Old 04-10-16, 08:56 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by PaulH
There's a bunch of restaurants and stores around here where drives have to circle for twenty minutes to find a parking spot and then walk a few hundred yards to get to the place. I admire the grit and determination displayed by these local motorists but I'm too lazy to join them -- I go there by bike.
Do you think those stores and restaurants and/or the area in which they are located are being "revitalized" by the business generated by cyclists?
Old 04-10-16, 10:22 AM
carmen9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what causes it economically feasible? I do not understand
Old 04-11-16, 11:58 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Do you think those stores and restaurants and/or the area in which they are located are being "revitalized" by the business generated by cyclists?
These establishments are fairly new and were built with insufficient parking. There are some new bike lanes feeding them now, so I may be able to see what really happens. There are also bikeshare stations nearby. I think that it requires a combination of convenient, "hop on and go" bikes to complete the equation. The key is that bicycling must be more convenient than driving, because people will ALWAYS take the easiest mode.
Old 04-12-16, 09:49 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts

That is one of the things I have missed now that I am back in the states. When I lived in China I would walk, or rode, to the market, or to dinner, or to just to walk or ride, in the evenings. Here in the states is just isn't part of the culture. I think there are several factors, misplaced fear of crime, lack of infrastructure and city planning that clusters places to go to in the evenings far from where people live, long commutes leaving people to tired to do anything in the evenings, and many other reasons. It just isn't part of the American culture, and I do miss it.
Old 04-12-16, 12:24 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Ontario, Oregon is stuck between I-84 and Highways 20-26 and 30, and as a result it's like a small town fed by heavy traffic. Housing density is packed and the business zone is pretty much limited to the areas that are connected to or near those arterials. We built a bypass to take heavy truck traffic out of the middle of town, and they are serviced by truckstops on the east side and at the beginning of the Yturri Beltway (bypass) The S. Oregon St. access to I-84 and other foothills roads was cut off and the bypass made the new route to them, now there is a curve in to it at the new terminus of Oregon Street.

As a result of this modification all truck traffic now goes to 20-26, 30 and I-84 from the beltway.

It's murder getting to the beltway even with the traffic lights but now the heavy traffic is all CARS.

That is some improvement I guess.

Nighttime bike traffic? There's me and a few people working late but then again the car traffic is dead on most nights except for weekends, when the younger crowd always used to drive the main drag in their cars all night.
Old 04-13-16, 03:29 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What I'd like to also suggest to businesses and communities that want to attract not only more bicycle but also more foot traffic is to offer either free or low cost delivery. Again, give the people what they want and they'll be back.