Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pictures Of Your Route

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pictures Of Your Route

Old 02-26-20, 12:23 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Pictures Of Your Route

How about some pictures from your Route, whether a Rec. Ride, Commute or Trip Ride.

This is my daily Rec. Ride on the bike path on top of the levee on the lake, every Sunrise and Sunset I can catch.The sun sets beautifully over the Lake and rises just South of the Lake over the Tree line. Wind whips up, like in the pictures,white caps as far as the eye can see. Nine foot wide concrete bike path about 8 miles in length up and back. Most interesting experience, 6 - 8 foot Alligator sauntering down the bike path up against the sea wall.

What's your ride like?

Last edited by mjac; 02-28-20 at 10:39 AM.
Likes For mjac:
Old 02-26-20, 12:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,303 Times in 7,232 Posts
A sampling of some of the dirt I have ridden during tours over the last 6 or so years. At home I have enough photos from my trips to crash this site.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-26-20, 12:55 PM
indyfabz

Melrose Bench Rd., MT.

Wise River, MT.

End of a long day.

Old Darby Rd., Hamilton, MT.

Yaak Falls, MT.

Wind Cave N.P., SD.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-26-20, 02:13 PM
JenGQ

Bikes: Giant Escape 3, Giant Expressway, Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Have you ever felt threatened by any of those animals? Asking because I mainly ride in an urban setting. The threat for me is usually from a loose dog or the two legged animals.
Old 02-26-20, 03:40 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by indyfabz
A sampling of some of the dirt I have ridden during tours over the last 6 or so years. At home I have enough photos from my trips to crash this site.

I don't know about the pictures you have at home but those are some nice photographs. Beats the heck out of mine. What did you ride these dirt roads with and why didn't you call me?
Likes For mjac:
Old 02-26-20, 06:17 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
How would you commute on this?

One mile long oozing parking lot.

I left work early today and the parking lot was only about a mile long. Thirty minutes later it goes to 1-1/2 miles.

It's been this way for several months due to construction pinch down from 3 to 2 lanes.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 02-26-20, 06:41 PM
mjac

What do you do when someone posts pictures better then the OP's?
Old 02-26-20, 06:50 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Indy,
I think we rode down Old Darby Rd. in Hamilton, MT! We visited an acquaintance there on our cross country ride. It was a great road!!
Old 02-26-20, 07:01 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by flangehead

I left work early today and the parking lot was only about a mile long. Thirty minutes later it goes to 1-1/2 miles.

It's been this way for several months due to construction pinch down from 3 to 2 lanes.
You gotta white line.
Old 02-26-20, 07:03 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Amazing spectacles of pastoral beauty, collated out of years of photographs? Nope. Snapshots of the roads I ride every single day, year in and year out? Yep.

Old 02-26-20, 07:13 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Amazing spectacles of pastoral beauty, collated out of years of photographs? Nope. Snapshots of the roads I ride every single day, year in and year out? Yep.

That, was one of the genuine purposes of this thread. To give the gut feeling of your personal route that you endure on a regular basis, with all of its warts.
Likes For mjac:
Old 02-26-20, 07:13 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
My new digs (retired and moved), Hundreds of miles of (mostly flat) connected paved trails.

Likes For GeneO:
Old 02-26-20, 09:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I mostly take screencaps from my videos. Occasionally I'll stop and snap proper photos. But photography has been my hobby and sometime job for so long, I try to get away from that on bike rides.

Friends fixing a flat during our big summer 3-week long group ride to coincide with the Tour de France. Probably close to 200 cyclists this ride, a few summers ago. We were way off the back.

Pokemon hotspot, 2016.

Homeless district. Sometimes the shelters are full. Other times folks can't deal with the noisy, aggressive vibe inside the shelters but want to be close to the available resources for food, mental and physical health clinics, etc.

Homeless district. My usual transportation too, although my bikes are closer to my size.

Me (l) and local busker Russ (r) during one of his impromptu streetside concerts. Alas, the police finally banned buskers here. Sanitizing this gentrifying old neighborhood hasn't been a good thing for everyone.

Me, about to tackle a KOM attempt on a 6 mile time trial segment. I had to settle for 2nd. That was a couple of years ago. I've since been bumped way down the top ten list.

Aodhan O'Farrell, a former paramedic who was badly injured and disabled when a car struck him while he was attending victims of an earlier collision. Despite a badly damaged neck, after a yearlong recovery he decided to tackle a cross-USA ride from east to west coasts. He wanted to finish the ride before his neck condition worsened. He rode as much he could, as many days as he could handle. Sometimes 5-10 miles, sometimes 50 or so. His girlfriend drove their RV ahead to meet him each ride.

Turnaround point of a favorite nearby training loop, a fast roller coaster access road with little traffic.

I was ticketed for slow rolling a right turn. Nobody else around... except the police officer. Turned out from my rear facing video he'd been shadowing me for almost a mile, waiting for me to make a mistake. I did full stops at three previous intersections, which he saw, but gigged me for this one.

Amazon driver nearly clobbered me a couple of weeks ago, rolled through a stop sign, never looked up from his phone or navigation device. I caught up with him and ... actually had a quite civil and constructive chat. Didn't turn out too badly.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 02-27-20, 12:38 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

Likes For woodcraft:
Old 02-27-20, 03:44 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Some of you people are very fortunate. My commute to work is almost unrelentingly boring with lots of traffic. I have a short hop through Hyde Park in central London and another across Clapham Common, but that's about it. I see the occasional grey squirrel, Once or twice I've seen an uncommon goose (i.e. not a Canada Goose, which I see a lot of) and on one occasion I startled a sparrowhawk.
Old 02-27-20, 06:18 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mjac
What did you ride these dirt roads with...?
Two of them are bike trails: The Mickelson and NorPac.

Ridden on some configuration of this. Racks and bags are the same, but the tent has changed over time.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-27-20, 08:02 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I mostly commute in Colorado Springs...
Here are some videos...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5TfAHK4EOymjDg
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 02-27-20, 08:12 AM
mjac

Dirt Tracks

Two of them are bike trails: The Mickelson and NorPac.

Ridden on some configuration of this. Racks and bags are the same, but the tent has changed over time.

After looking at everything, I thought you were just bombarding down these Dirt Tracks with a Mountain Bike on day trips. You were long distance touring on unimproved trails and roads with down tubes, not even straight handle bars? How long were the rides and how did you not get fatigued?

I don't remember if you had the pictures labeled. Did you identify what each track was?

What did you use that held up under these conditions, the bike, the rims, the number of spokes, the tires, even the seat. You were self contained over dirt trails and roads over distance. I would not have even imagined that. I even saw a light on the bars, you were doing this at night too? Must have been nice.

Last edited by mjac; 02-27-20 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-27-20, 08:27 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I mostly commute in Colorado Springs...
Here are some videos...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5TfAHK4EOymjDg
I did not think I would enjoy the videos but they gave a real feel of the ride with the visual and the sound. When I get time I will get through all of them. I had no idea a (go pro?) had such high quality images and sound. The Lime Green gets it, love that color when riding,invigorating.
Likes For mjac:
Old 02-27-20, 09:05 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mjac
After looking at everything, I thought you were just bombarding down these Dirt Tracks with a Mountain Bike on day trips. You were long distance touring on unimproved trails and roads with down tubes, not even straight handle bars? How long were the rides and how did you not get fatigued?

I don't remember if you had the pictures labeled. Did you identify what each track was?

What did you use that held up under these conditions, the bike, the rims, the number of spokes, the tires, even the seat. You were self contained over dirt trails and roads over distance. I would not have even imagined that. I even saw a light on the bars, you were doing this at night too? Must have been nice.
The one of the tunnel and the one before it are from the east slope of the NorPac Trail, whish in 9 miles in western Montana up to Lookout Pass at the border with Idaho. (Rode I-90 down from the pass instead of continuing down on the trail. The two above that are from the Mickelson Trail in the Black Hills area of SD.

Most of my "modern trips" out west have been two weeks long. (Back in '99 I rode across the U.S. In '00 I did a seven week tour from the PNW down to SW Colorado.) The bike is a Surly LHT, which is designed for heavy loads. 36H RhynoLite rims. The originals wore out after 7 years. Conti Top Touring II tires in 35c size. (The actually measure 37c.) Terry Men's Liberator saddle. The bike is not designed for singletrack, but does reasonably well on things like unpaved Forest Service roads. I have been incorporating more and more dirt into my tours. Getting off the highway often offers more nature opportunities (See below from 2019.) And, of course, usually less traffic. Have a flight booked to Missoula again this June. A good amount of dirt is planned.

I usually don't ride at night when I tour, but I do sometimes start at dawn. A headlight can also come in handy in bad weather/fog. But I needed it for that trip because I rode the Route of the Hiawatha Trail that has numerous tunnels, including the St. Paul Pass Tunnel, which is 1.66 miles long and completely dark.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-27-20 at 09:25 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-27-20, 09:41 AM
mjac

The one of the tunnel and the one before it are from the east slope of the NorPac Trail, whish in 9 miles in western Montana up to Lookout Pass at the border with Idaho. (Rode I-90 down from the pass instead of continuing down on the trail. The two above that are from the Mickelson Trail in the Black Hills area of SD.

Most of my "modern trips" out west have been two weeks long. (Back in '99 I rode across the U.S. In '00 I did a seven week tour from the PNW down to SW Colorado.) The bike is a Surly LHT, which is designed for heavy loads. 36H RhynoLite rims. The originals wore out after 7 years. Conti Top Touring II tires in 35c size. (The actually measure 37c.) Terry Men's Liberator saddle. The bike is not designed for singletrack, but does reasonably well on things like unpaved Forest Service roads. I have been incorporating more and more dirt into my tours. Getting off the highway often offers more nature opportunities (See below from 2019.) And, of course, usually less traffic. Have a flight booked to Missoula again this June. A good amount of dirt is planned.

I usually don't ride at night when I tour, but I do sometimes start at dawn. A headlight can also come in handy in bad weather/fog. But I needed it for that trip because I rode the Route of the Hiawatha Trail that has numerous tunnels, including the St. Paul Pass Tunnel, which is 1.66 miles long and completely dark.

Will get back to you later tonight. The day is late getting started. This response alone made it worthwhile starting the thread.
Likes For mjac:
Old 02-27-20, 02:15 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Summer/Fall shots of typical local MUP trail through NW suburbs. These trails run through wetlands, wooded areas and park lands and until the trees go bare you would never know there are houses less than 100 yards away.

Likes For MNebiker:
Old 02-27-20, 02:58 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by MNebiker
Summer/Fall shots of typical local MUP trail through NW suburbs. These trails run through wetlands, wooded areas and park lands and until the trees go bare you would never know there are houses less than 100 yards away.

I hope more people post about the fall leaves.
Likes For mjac:
Old 02-27-20, 04:03 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead

I'd rather your parking lot than my 50-60 mph highway.
Old 02-27-20, 05:14 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by canklecat
I mostly take screencaps from my videos. Occasionally I'll stop and snap proper photos. But photography has been my hobby and sometime job for so long, I try to get away from that on bike rides.

Friends fixing a flat during our big summer 3-week long group ride to coincide with the Tour de France. Probably close to 200 cyclists this ride, a few summers ago. We were way off the back.

Pokemon hotspot, 2016.

Homeless district. Sometimes the shelters are full. Other times folks can't deal with the noisy, aggressive vibe inside the shelters but want to be close to the available resources for food, mental and physical health clinics, etc.

Homeless district. My usual transportation too, but although my bikes are closer to my size.

Me (l) and local busker Russ (r) during one of his impromptu streetside concerts. Alas, the police finally banned buskers here. Sanitizing this gentrifying old neighborhood hasn't been a good thing for everyone.

Me, about to tackle a KOM attempt on a 6 mile time trial segment. I had to settle for 2nd. That was a couple of years ago. I've since been bumped way down the top ten list.

Aodhan O'Farrell, a former paramedic who was badly injured and disabled when a car struck him while he was attending victims of an earlier collision. Despite a badly damaged neck, after a yearlong recovery he decided to tackle a cross-USA ride from east to west coasts. He wanted to finish the ride before his neck condition worsened. He rode as much he could, as many days as he could handle. Sometimes 5-10 miles, sometimes 50 or so. His girlfriend drove their RV ahead to meet him each ride.

Turnaround point of a favorite nearby training loop, a fast roller coaster access road with little traffic.

I was ticketed for slow rolling a right turn. Nobody else around... except the police officer. Turned out from my rear facing video he'd been shadowing me for almost a mile, waiting for me to make a mistake. I did full stops at three previous intersections, which he saw, but gigged me for this one.

Amazon driver nearly clobbered me a couple of weeks ago, rolled through a stop sign, never looked up from his phone or navigation device. I caught up with him and ... actually had a quite civil and constructive chat. Didn't turn out too badly.
No offense Canklecat, no harm intended, but that does not look like a 29" waiste. Just sayin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.