Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pictures Of Your Route

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pictures Of Your Route

Old 02-27-20, 05:19 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
Summer/Fall shots of typical local MUP trail through NW suburbs. These trails run through wetlands, wooded areas and park lands and until the trees go bare you would never know there are houses less than 100 yards away.

Okay, you win, best fall picture.
Likes For mjac:
Old 02-27-20, 06:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
No offense Canklecat, no harm intended, but that does not look like a 29" waiste. Just sayin.
Oh, it is. Under the belly pudge.
Old 02-27-20, 07:03 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by canklecat
Oh, it is. Under the belly pudge.
You cannot have a "Belly Pudge" and a 29" waiste. These two things are mutually exclusive.

Folks, if you are wondering what this is all about, "Canklecat " here was practically boasting he wants to get a small Przewalski Bike Short to better fit his 29" Waiste. Take a look at them pictures and you tell me if I should be listening to this.
Old 02-27-20, 09:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

You cannot have a "Belly Pudge" and a 29" waiste. These two things are mutually exclusive.

Folks, if you are wondering what this is all about, "Canklecat " here was practically boasting he wants to get a small Przewalski Bike Short to better fit his 29" Waiste. Take a look at them pictures and you tell me if I should be listening to this.
Which photo are we talking about?
Old 02-27-20, 09:47 PM
mjac

Which photo are we talking about?
Oh, that is Aodhan O'Farrell.

But really number six. But after closer inspection those could be food and tool pouches at the bottom of the riding jersey filled to give the wrong impression. Still pushing the 29 though. If you got 29, how did you do it?
Old 02-27-20, 09:55 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Some of you people are very fortunate. My commute to work is almost unrelentingly boring with lots of traffic. I have a short hop through Hyde Park in central London and another across Clapham Common, but that's about it. I see the occasional grey squirrel, Once or twice I've seen an uncommon goose (i.e. not a Canada Goose, which I see a lot of) and on one occasion I startled a sparrowhawk.
No ride is boring, your riding.
Likes For mjac:
Old 02-27-20, 11:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Oh, that is Aodhan O'Farrell.

But really number six. But after closer inspection those could be food and tool pouches at the bottom of the riding jersey filled to give the wrong impression. Still pushing the 29 though. If you got 29, how did you do it?
Aodhan was lean and muscular before his injuries from being hit by a car on the job as a paramedic. He gained a lot of weight during his long rehab, but was losing it little by little during that cross country ride.

He's a former Marine too. Tough guy, and one of the nicest folks I've met along the road. He stopped at as many emergency responder stations as he could during that journey. Lots of photos online.

Yeah, that grey jersey is my cool weather fleece jersey. It's kinda baggy. Probably carrying my usual stash:a few gels, couple of Clif bars, Kool Stop bead jack, spare bandana, asthma inhaler ("I'm not doping! I'm Frooming."), pepper spray, lip balm. Wallet and keys too - I don't leave my ID or keys in the saddle bag. Too easy to get separated if there's an accident or collision.

I always carry way too much stuff. Probably cost me a few seconds on that PR that day.

I've switched to more aero jerseys with minimal pockets to discourage me from over-packing for a 20-50 mile ride.

But even with full aero kit I wouldn't get the KOM. The guy who owns most KOMs in that area is a beast. He's in his 50s and faster than most of the younger guys in the area, including some rookie pros from the local team.

I'm 5'11", with skinny bird legs, even when I weighed over 200 lbs about 20 years ago. In that photo from early 2018 I was closer to 160 lbs. I'm around 150 now. I could get down to 145 and still be at a healthy weight, but I like sugar in my coffee and occasional junk food like cookies and donuts.

I'd still have a saggy waistline from being overweight years ago. But it was 29 when I measured a few months ago when I ordered the size small P brand shorts.

Those were size medium Aero Tech Pro shorts, always a little baggy on me.

The Przewalski shorts fit better. The small offers just a wee bit more compression on my thighs without being too tight in the waistband.
Old 02-28-20, 03:04 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
No ride is boring, your riding.
This is true. On occasion it gets very exciting, though not the sort of excite I'd choose. I do get fed up with the constant traffic, though.
Old 02-28-20, 05:48 AM
mjac

This is true. On occasion it gets very exciting, though not the sort of excite I'd choose. I do get fed up with the constant traffic, though.
I can only speak for myself. I can not project myself onto another human being. Every person is different. But in my experience which carries on to today the very act of riding is exciting which is why I would like to see more people do it for their physical and even emotional benefit. Each ride has its purpose. None are wasted. In your case you have fulfilled the utilitarian purpose. The act of your ride being useful is satisfying and you should get a great deal of satisfaction from that. Scenic rides offer great beauty and fresh air. But they do not serve a utilitarian purpose. If you only do one or the other then it is lacking. You are already doing the hard one,utilitarian. Plan some really scenic day trips or tours to balance and you will be a more fulfilled rider then most...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-28-20, 06:31 AM
mjac

Aodhan was lean and muscular before his injuries from being hit by a car on the job as a paramedic. He gained a lot of weight during his long rehab, but was losing it little by little during that cross country ride.

He's a former Marine too. Tough guy, and one of the nicest folks I've met along the road. He stopped at as many emergency responder stations as he could during that journey. Lots of photos online.

Yeah, that grey jersey is my cool weather fleece jersey. It's kinda baggy. Probably carrying my usual stash:a few gels, couple of Clif bars, Kool Stop bead jack, spare bandana, asthma inhaler ("I'm not doping! I'm Frooming."), pepper spray, lip balm. Wallet and keys too - I don't leave my ID or keys in the saddle bag. Too easy to get separated if there's an accident or collision.

I always carry way too much stuff. Probably cost me a few seconds on that PR that day.

I've switched to more aero jerseys with minimal pockets to discourage me from over-packing for a 20-50 mile ride.

But even with full aero kit I wouldn't get the KOM. The guy who owns most KOMs in that area is a beast. He's in his 50s and faster than most of the younger guys in the area, including some rookie pros from the local team.

I'm 5'11", with skinny bird legs, even when I weighed over 200 lbs about 20 years ago. In that photo from early 2018 I was closer to 160 lbs. I'm around 150 now. I could get down to 145 and still be at a healthy weight, but I like sugar in my coffee and occasional junk food like cookies and donuts.

I'd still have a saggy waistline from being overweight years ago. But it was 29 when I measured a few months ago when I ordered the size small P brand shorts.

Those were size medium Aero Tech Pro shorts, always a little baggy on me.

The Przewalski shorts fit better. The small offers just a wee bit more compression on my thighs without being too tight in the waistband.
In no way would I refer to Mr. Aodhan O'Farrell in a disparaging way. I was just trying to get you to believe I had him and you mixed up and see what was your response. I was just going to say picture number seven and leave it alone but I chickened out. I wish him well after what he has been through, getting hurt while trying to help someone else. There is no higher calling in addition to serving as a marine. We take service people for granted and they should be appreciated. I hope he has as full a recovery as possible, the body has remarkable rejuvenation ability. My apologies to him and you.

But I nailed it. I said why would he be carrying a lot of junk while pursuing a PM and trying to become KOM at a freaking Time Trial. That is a spare tire. Twenty Nine inches my rear end. Then you started pushing back and questioning me so I had to take another look. Turns out it was a perfect storm. It was a heavy fleece riding jersey adding bulk, lined with pouches carrying everything but the kitchen sink. No wonder you looked heavy. I am to be forgiven. The only thing that didn't fit the image was the baggy riding shorts. I said, how could he be heavy and have baggy riding shorts. Why were you wearing AeroTech anyway? I thought you were a Przewalski man. I thought you were going to say that was a picture before you got in shape.

What type of Mace product do you carry? That is the next addition to my riding accessories. I am going to get some police grade, 2,000,000 Scovel Units, pepper gel. To be supplemented by something else...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-28-20, 07:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
A couple of places I am slated to revisit in June.

Alpine meadow section of the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway in MT.

Me after panning for sapphires at Gem Mountain before heading up Skalkaho Pass.

Skalkaho warning.

Skalkaho Highway

Skalkaho Highway.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-28-20, 07:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
I haven't seen great fall colors while riding in these parts in a long time.

Blueberry bushes in their fall colors in Hammonton, NJ.

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area on my favorite local-ish long weekend routes.

Somewhere along the Delaware River in either PA or NJ.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-28-20, 07:25 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

I can only speak for myself. I can not project myself onto another human being. Every person is different. But in my experience which carries on to today the very act of riding is exciting which is why I would like to see more people do it for their physical and even emotional benefit. Each ride has its purpose. None are wasted. In your case you have fulfilled the utilitarian purpose. The act of your ride being useful is satisfying and you should get a great deal of satisfaction from that. Scenic rides offer great beauty and fresh air. But they do not serve a utilitarian purpose. If you only do one or the other then it is lacking. You are already doing the hard one,utilitarian. Plan some really scenic day trips or tours to balance and you will be a more fulfilled rider then most...Thanks,mjac
Yes, you're right of course. The ride may not be the best but it's still better than the alternatives. I think, too, that more and more people think so too as the number of cyclists in London does seem to be on the increase. The ride is satisfying in many ways; nevertheless, I wish I had a better one. I'm 63 and my weekly commute takes a lot out of me otherwise I might think about taking a longer route home as there are some nice rides around me. The Surrey Hills, where I live, has some areas of outstanding beauty and whenever I can I do so I do get out there. I have a couple of friends in the local church who are also in to cycling so I sometimes get to go out with them as well. Maybe the next time I go I'll try and remember to take some photos.
Old 02-28-20, 07:31 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Pictures Of Your Route
How about some pictures from your Route, whether a Rec. Ride, Commute or Trip Ride.
So many beautiful rual and scenic vistas. I’m mainly an urban commuter, as a lifestyle, and I have posted:
"Best cycling city in USA?":
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…And [on my commute] I cycle a nice distance of at least 14 miles through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park) in the reverse commuter direction early in the morning, during all four (pleasant to tolerable) seasons.

For training purposes, I can expand my routes to encompass popular high-level cycling outer suburbs (e.g. Dover, for the cognoscenti:
...I have ridden out West in the Desert, Rockies, and vast Plains, and while interesting and scenic, the views are unchanging for miles, and I really enjoy the intimate quirkiness of Metro Boston:
"Empty road ahead photos"

I haven’t looked at all the photos on this thread, but the ones I have are beautiful, and all seem rural. Here’s an urban one that I see often on my daily commute,

It’s on the Avenue Louis Pasteur in Boston, looking toward the Harvard Medical School. I’m intrigued by how the center line bisects the columns of the portico.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-28-20 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-28-20, 07:53 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Longfellow Bridge over the Charles River, outbound to Cambridge (our fair city) MA. Nickname is Salt and Pepper bridge:

The Embarcadero in San Francisco, with a bit of home:

Amsterdam Centrum on a Gazelle:

BikeMS Cape Cod Getaway, the Cape Cod Canal heading from Bourne to Sandwich, with good friends and sunrise:

Taipei, Beining Rd, on a YouBike. The store on the right is one of the many 7/11’s, Taipei Municipal Stadium on the left. Yes, you can hear the crowd cheering:

Boston’s North End. Look at old maps to figure out the name:

Brookline Ave, Landsdowne St on the left. Oh, and Fenway Park:

The Dr. Paul D. White bikepath, with Marcel Hug, who won the Boston Marathon shortly after:

The Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building (was Ferdinand building) in Nubian Square (was Dudley Square) in Dorchester:

Voted early, pic on the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway, on my Kneerover Go Hybrid:

Misc pics above from this thread, currently at 8,616 posts (not all of them have pics, but many have more than one):
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Where'd you ride today?
I slacked off this winter; went skiing, used my trainer and have been out only a little.
What a great weekend! 37 miles Friday, 30 Sat. and 65 miles today. Went Dover, Wellesley, Weston Observatory, Lincoln, Concord, Carlisle and back via Sudbury, Wayland, Natick and Wellesley.

I'm riding Fixed Gear with fenders and 35c tires as long as there is so much runoff, salt, sand and our version of California earthquakes (aka potholes). I came back sans blinky and water bottle.; still great ride.

You?
-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-29-20 at 05:25 AM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 02-28-20, 08:18 AM
mjac

Yes, you're right of course. The ride may not be the best but it's still better than the alternatives. I think, too, that more and more people think so too as the number of cyclists in London does seem to be on the increase. The ride is satisfying in many ways; nevertheless, I wish I had a better one. I'm 63 and my weekly commute takes a lot out of me otherwise I might think about taking a longer route home as there are some nice rides around me. The Surrey Hills, where I live, has some areas of outstanding beauty and whenever I can I do so I do get out there. I have a couple of friends in the local church who are also in to cycling so I sometimes get to go out with them as well. Maybe the next time I go I'll try and remember to take some photos.
There you go. What more do you want? You have a demanding commuter ride that challenges you and serves a useful purpose. You live amongst the Surrey Hills which has some areas of outstanding beauty for rec rides. And you actually have friends who are into cicyling that you can ride with. You have an abundance of riches. Wake up and smell the petunias. Come on.

I thought I would give my perspective since I know you are all broken up over Harry and Meghan leaving the Monarchy and fret about it on a daily basis.
Likes For mjac:
Old 02-28-20, 08:20 AM
jgwilliams

I thought I would give my perspective since I know you are all broken up over Harry and Meghan leaving the Monarchy and fret about it on a daily basis.
What! When did that happen?
Old 02-28-20, 08:33 AM
mjac

You guys have really gotten into this, I appreciate it, some interesting scenes, from everyday workday to country scenery. All just as important as the next.

I want to see some fall colors. Who has some fall colors? We only have one so far.
Old 02-28-20, 08:44 AM
mjac

What! When did that happen?
y

Smart Ass
Old 02-28-20, 09:07 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by MNebiker
Summer/Fall shots of typical local MUP trail through NW suburbs. These trails run through wetlands, wooded areas and park lands and until the trees go bare you would never know there are houses less than 100 yards away.

MNeBiker, this is important to me. Are these two pictures of the same location at different seasons?
Old 02-28-20, 10:07 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Pictures Of Your Route[:
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Misc pics above from this thread, currently at 8,616 posts (not all of them have pics, but many have more than one):
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Where'd you ride today?

I slacked off this winter; went skiing, used my trainer and have been out only a little.
What a great weekend! 37 miles Friday, 30 Sat. and 65 miles today. Went Dover, Wellesley, Weston Observatory, Lincoln, Concord, Carlisle and back via Sudbury, Wayland, Natick and Wellesley.

I'm riding Fixed Gear with fenders and 35c tires as long as there is so much runoff, salt, sand and our version of California earthquakes (aka potholes). I came back sans blinky and water bottle.; still great ride.

You??":
…And [on my commute] I cycle a nice distance of at least 14 miles through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park) in the reverse commuter direction early in the morning, during all four (pleasant to tolerable) seasons.

For training purposes, I can expand my routes to encompass popular high-level cycling outer suburbs (e.g. Dover, for the cognoscent)i:
...I have ridden out West in the Desert, Rockies, and vast Plains, and while interesting and scenic, the views are unchanging for miles, and I really enjoy the intimate quirkiness of Metro Boston:
The title of that thread with the above quoted OP is Metro Boston: Good ride today?,” IMO the de facto Metro Boston subforum on the Northeast Regional Discussion Forum:
...I like to write up my rides, as do others on a local discussion thread {link) here in Boston, and for me, it’s more a journal for myself, than for the amusement of other subscribers, though I hope others would find it interesting.

Of course we in Metro Boston all know the region, and each other, at least electronically, so we are a ready receptive audience for each other.

I have thought of that thread as the cycling equivalent of “apres-ski” after a day on the slopes, where we gather to exchange stories, routes, photos, ribbing, and (?) tall tales
Besides @mr_bill, I tout @rholland1951 as a premier photojpournalist on that thread:.
A local Bostonian subscriber @rholland1951,writes lyrically with beautiful photos about twice a week to a Regional Discussion Forum Metro Boston thread about his travels on the 11-mile long Minuteman Bikepath, and considers it a “community center” in the town of Arlington.

I have referred to him as the “town crier,”or perhaps “wandering minstrel.”
The Minuteman Bikepath is very popular and traverses some of Metro Boston's foremost Revolutionary War History. Maybe mentioning Rod will entice him to post to this thread. .

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-28-20 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-28-20, 11:15 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The one of the tunnel and the one before it are from the east slope of the NorPac Trail, whish in 9 miles in western Montana up to Lookout Pass at the border with Idaho. (Rode I-90 down from the pass instead of continuing down on the trail. The two above that are from the Mickelson Trail in the Black Hills area of SD.

Most of my "modern trips" out west have been two weeks long. (Back in '99 I rode across the U.S. In '00 I did a seven week tour from the PNW down to SW Colorado.) The bike is a Surly LHT, which is designed for heavy loads. 36H RhynoLite rims. The originals wore out after 7 years. Conti Top Touring II tires in 35c size. (The actually measure 37c.) Terry Men's Liberator saddle. The bike is not designed for singletrack, but does reasonably well on things like unpaved Forest Service roads. I have been incorporating more and more dirt into my tours. Getting off the highway often offers more nature opportunities (See below from 2019.) And, of course, usually less traffic. Have a flight booked to Missoula again this June. A good amount of dirt is planned.

I usually don't ride at night when I tour, but I do sometimes start at dawn. A headlight can also come in handy in bad weather/fog. But I needed it for that trip because I rode the Route of the Hiawatha Trail that has numerous tunnels, including the St. Paul Pass Tunnel, which is 1.66 miles long and completely dark.

Just got time.

I finally understand after reading the description of your rides. These dirt roads and trails were segments of a longer tour where you detoured off the main highway route to take the trails and unimproved roads as a plan. I should have realized this, there is not going to be dedicated trails and dirt roads for hundreds of miles.What is the wheel base of the Turly? I can not imagine how a dedicated touring bike set up for long distance road touring would handle on a dirt path for an extended distance loaded for self sustain. It must have been some work, especially with the drop bars. But even with strong touring rims, you wore out a pair in seven years. Did the dirt have anything to do with this? Those rims must have to be very strong for what you put them through. How many spokes are on them. I ask because there was a guy on BF who was trying to do self contained long distance touring on a Cross Bike and was popping spokes and everyone was suggesting a certain style spoke,double butted I think, or telling him to go up to a higher spoke count wheel. I guesse the Turley can accommodate 35mm tires being a pure touring bike. Did you have to make a compromise between effeicency and durability? That must have been a hard choice. You still had to pedal hundreds of miles.

Great Pictures,Great Tours, Interesting Places. With your experience you ought to think about organizing an annual BF Tour for all comers so people can put a face on some of these initials and could try something they would never dream of on their own. The people taking these tours and posting the great pictures have got to give more descriptive descriptions of just where they are and the distances involved so people can place themselves there. Do you have any fall color pictures in your vast museum of photographs. I would like to see some, I am fascinated by that. There has been only one up to now...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-28-20, 11:16 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
MNeBiker, this is important to me. Are these two pictures of the same location at different seasons?
If you look at the two slender trees just to the right of center, they're in both pics. So it's the same spot in the same location in different seasons.
Old 02-28-20, 11:20 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Here are a few from my commute, warts and all. Sorry, we don't have much fall color.

Nice view

Winter sunset

Ah. the open trail

Likes For Korina:
Old 02-28-20, 11:39 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Korina
If you look at the two slender trees just to the right of center, they're in both pics. So it's the same spot in the same location in different seasons.
You sure? I don't see the sign and the two tees I zeroed in on in the fall picture,which I love,yellow leaves strewn on the bike path like a carpet, look closer together. But it would be fascinating the same location having two completely different looks.

So I had to look at your profile since you were interrupting my fall leaves gazing and it said you were born at a very early age. I was born 15.

But it is good we have a female cicyling on the so called "thread." I thought it was all guys.

How seriously are you into teas. I have been trying to find a real robust, full bodied, full flavored green tea preferably with as many health benefits as possible. I mean something that punches you in the mouth for daily drinking so you do not get tired of it. Nothing subtle about it. I am not getting anywhere. The reviews are all over the place. I registered on " Tea Forum" but one of the moderators moved my question to a general forum buried in 642 other posts. Kind of like the ones here do. I have not checked it lately. Ask me how ticked I was. Need my tea.

Nonetheless thanks for being in on the exchange,mjac

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.