Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Stream Pepper Spray

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ultimate Stream Pepper Spray

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-20, 10:42 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Highly inappropriate comment. I suggest you re-think your path.
And I suggest you develop a sense of humor. You can dish it but you don't want any.

Last edited by mjac; 03-13-20 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-13-20, 11:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
And I suggest you develop a sense of humor. You can dish it out but you don't want any.
I never suggested harm to you or any other forum member. Not even in jest.
Old 03-13-20, 11:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Always interesting following a thread where the OP is on my ignore list. Thanks for reminding me why he got there.
Old 03-13-20, 11:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Always interesting following a thread where the OP is on my ignore list. Thanks for reminding me why he got there.
Just about to add him.
Old 03-13-20, 12:03 PM
mjac

...and I didn't either. It was a joke. Carefully phrased to ask "IndyFabs", not to do to "IndyFabs." Surely you see this being in the realm of semantics.
Old 03-13-20, 12:18 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
If all your efforts to implement your pepper sauce fail, just choot em.

mango/ pineapple/habanero...now we are getting somewhere.
I could always just carry a taco around with me and offer it to an attacker. Might work on aggressive dogs, too.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 03-13-20, 12:20 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Strain or filter out those chunks and/or thick parts?

A strong Tabasco sauce solution in a water pistol?

Cheers
That could actually work. I could strain it through a coffee filter.
Old 03-13-20, 12:20 PM
Jicafold

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Getting back on track, have you tested it with an honest human volunteer? or a dog? And does it really shoot that far?
Old 03-13-20, 12:26 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Just about to add him.
Goodbye...Can't take the heat...
Old 03-13-20, 12:48 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Jicafold
Getting back on track, have you tested it with an honest human volunteer? or a dog? And does it really shoot that far?
I just got it and I know it by reputation only. This company, Fox Labs, has been making defensive sprays for the military, LEOs, the Secret Service and the Prison System for a long time. They absolutely swear by it. Go to a police supply store and ask about it. They have a good reputation but just nit all the marketing of Sabre and Mace. They claim a range of 18 - 20 feet even for the 1.5 oz. size. I think they are a legitimate company and make honest claims because of the realm of business that they do. You are not going to be able to make exaggerated claims to those agencies. Unless I miss my guesse, I think they concentrated on that market and are now opening up to the consumer market. The contact person I have for over there is Cinthia Ray at 586-480-2843 if you have any questions. I have. I want to clear up this whole heavy stream, gel idea about range and especially wind resistance. I might call her today.
Old 03-13-20, 12:54 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I could always just carry a taco around with me and offer it to an attacker. Might work on aggressive dogs, too.
Bribery, I never thought of that. We may be on to something here. The Tacos are that good? Might be better then Chooting them.
Old 03-13-20, 01:27 PM
Milton Keynes

Bribery, I never thought of that. We may be on to something here. The Tacos are that good? Might be better then Chooting them.
No, the taco would be loaded with Carolina Reaper sauce. While their mouth is burning from the taco I make my getaway.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 03-13-20, 01:45 PM
mjac

No, the taco would be loaded with Carolina Reaper sauce. While their mouth is burning from the taco I make my getaway.
You are a lot smarter then me. I was going to buy you a food truck.

Last edited by mjac; 03-13-20 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-13-20, 11:07 PM
mjac

I do not know if this violates forum rules, but FWIW this is the set up.

Last edited by BillyD; 03-14-20 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Don’t start!!!
Old 03-14-20, 06:32 AM
mjac

Would you please show a picture how you secure the lethal taco to the bike?
Old 03-14-20, 08:46 AM
Milton Keynes

Would you please show a picture how you secure the lethal taco to the bike?
With a taco bag, naturally.

Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 03-14-20, 09:11 AM
mjac

With a taco bag, naturally.

I should have known.
Old 03-14-20, 12:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
I think we worry too much about what "might" happen when a honest person arms himself with some type of defensive weapon and not enough about what the criminal element does to honest people. There is nothing untoward about defending yourself, it is a right granted by your founding document and no reason to be self conscious about it. As you say though, I have reconciled the carry of this extremely powerful stream spray by considering it an absolutely last resort when every other option is exhausted.

Fox Labs also offers self defense classes that if like everything else they do should be very professional. They supply the military, LEOs, the Secret Service, the prison system, on and on.
The U.S. bill of rights doesn't really say anything clearly about arming oneself. People interpret it to help themselves or their cause but really I don't think it is clear enough to use for any real argument. I personally enjoy shooting sports (non-living and inanimate targets) and support self defense so I am not anti I just am practical and realize grasping at straws doesn't help the cause.

As far as criminal elements I cannot control them but I can say being armed with no training or practice could end up worse for you. I do not recommend just arming yourself and thinking you will know what to do. That is a dangerous proposition which could end up with you or someone innocent hurt or in worse shape then if you hadn't. I am not saying one shouldn't carry something but one should learn how to use it especially with ranged weapons like a pepper spray or firearm or bow and arrow or anything like that.

I figured Fox might also offer, I knew that Sabre did but glad others are as well.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-14-20, 06:36 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by veganbikes
The U.S. bill of rights doesn't really say anything clearly about arming oneself. People interpret it to help themselves or their cause but really I don't think it is clear enough to use for any real argument. I personally enjoy shooting sports (non-living and inanimate targets) and support self defense so I am not anti I just am practical and realize grasping at straws doesn't help the cause.

As far as criminal elements I cannot control them but I can say being armed with no training or practice could end up worse for you. I do not recommend just arming yourself and thinking you will know what to do. That is a dangerous proposition which could end up with you or someone innocent hurt or in worse shape then if you hadn't. I am not saying one shouldn't carry something but one should learn how to use it especially with ranged weapons like a pepper spray or firearm or bow and arrow or anything like that.

I figured Fox might also offer, I knew that Sabre did but glad others are as well.
It clearly does. In the vernacular of the time Militia did not have the same connotation it has today. Back then Militia refered to the people. It was closer tied to the general population because it was the people who rose up and overthrew the British. They were the Militia.

I have a responsibility to know what I am doing if I engage in self defense with a weapon. I also have a responsibility to defend myself and those around me. I am good. But I intend on being very good. Much better then anyone I will face. Because the better I am will not only keep me from getting into trouble but will also make me better at protecting myself and others. I trust my abilities. I am very good with my hands. But the bottom line is I or anyone around me,whether I know them or not, will not be a victim of crime. That outweighs everything. Even the concern that something can go wrong. It outweighs that.
Old 03-14-20, 06:59 PM
Payton1221

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Apologies if this has been discussed (I didn't read every post), but I think the OP did a good job of stating for those who want to go this route "here's a good tool." For those who don't want to go this route, I've had good luck so far with a loud air horn. I initially bought a small one but they don't last very long. So I then bought one that's refillable with a simple bike pump (https://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Ecob...233692&sr=8-22). The only downside is size but I have a drink holder attached to my handlebars and it's always instantly accessible.

MY issue with the pepper sprays is that I ALWAYS ride the same route and I don't want some pissed off dog owner looking for revenge at some point in the future . . . you can't outpedal a vehicle
Old 03-14-20, 10:01 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Ah no to the illegal weapon and no to the "excessive force" which isn't a crime FFS. If you were to spray someone without justification, you could certainly be charged with whatever your states low level assault or battery charge is.
Old 03-15-20, 02:12 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by veganbikes

Originally Posted by rebel1916
Ah no to the illegal weapon and no to the "excessive force" which isn't a crime FFS. If you were to spray someone without justification, you could certainly be charged with whatever your states low level assault or battery charge is.
I will never understand that every time this topic comes up the preaccupation with what if you misuse a personal self defense weapon and something goes wrong. Well, what happens when a criminal assaults you or someone around you and you have no way of protecting yourself or them? This idea that there will be widespread abuse of self defense is just not true. Sure there are incidences,nothing is perfect. But according to very sophisticated studies a particular self defense weapon, not allowed to be mentioned in this forum, is used over 3 million times a year to stop a crime. It is one of the reasons violent crime, outside of urban cities, has been dropping significantly nation wide for years. Florida has over 13 million CC holders, so we are not talking about a small sample here, and the revocation rate is .17%. That is point one. seven per cent with the point in front. I don't want to sound like a fanatic here, but you have to be realistic here and face the truth. Not what the press tells you.
Likes For mjac:
Old 03-15-20, 02:38 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
The 5.3 refers to 5.3 million Scoval Heat Units. The most powerful pepper spray/gel in the world ... I am am not advocating for this type of self defense, but if this is your thing, this is the best.
Well, it certainly has the highest Scoville rating.

The Fox Labs products are fairly highly regarded by many "in the business." Haven't needed to use it myself, and it's been years since I self-tested a spray of any kind in order to get an idea of how efficacious it would likely be. (Painful, but a worthwhile one-time experiment, for anyone who's interested in knowing what you've got in the pocket there.)

Definitely an option, for those wanting something above and beyond just "winging it" in a situation requiring active defensive steps. Whether defending against two-leggers or four-, a decent pepper spray can be a useful tool to have among the tools one carries.

My only concern with such puny spray containers is: 1.5 - 2oz isn't all that much. Doesn't last long, at all. There are certainly ones with greater capacity, but those get big fast (ie, in the pocket). On a bike, nicely, we have other carrying options than on a vest, jacket or pocket, which affords the choice of carrying one of the larger units. Used to frequent more-remote trails and paths in the woods, and out there one could occasionally find puma and other tenacious predators that often viewed humans as food. Nice to have something more than 1.5oz at hand, in such situations.
Old 03-15-20, 03:55 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Well, it certainly has the highest Scoville rating.

The Fox Labs products are fairly highly regarded by many "in the business." Haven't needed to use it myself, and it's been years since I self-tested a spray of any kind in order to get an idea of how efficacious it would likely be. (Painful, but a worthwhile one-time experiment, for anyone who's interested in knowing what you've got in the pocket there.)

Definitely an option, for those wanting something above and beyond just "winging it" in a situation requiring active defensive steps. Whether defending against two-leggers or four-, a decent pepper spray can be a useful tool to have among the tools one carries.

My only concern with such puny spray containers is: 1.5 - 2oz isn't all that much. Doesn't last long, at all. There are certainly ones with greater capacity, but those get big fast (ie, in the pocket). On a bike, nicely, we have other carrying options than on a vest, jacket or pocket, which affords the choice of carrying one of the larger units. Used to frequent more-remote trails and paths in the woods, and out there one could occasionally find puma and other tenacious predators that often viewed humans as food. Nice to have something more than 1.5oz at hand, in such situations.
1.5 has its uses. It is a pocket carry for general use and compact for bike carry. It has a little more capacity then most people give it credit for especially being from a quality manufacturer. That is why you buy the best.Much more then a key chain spray and adequate enough for most situations you will encounter on a bike. If you were only going to buy one, the 1.5,is the most useful and versatile. Now, if you are going camping or are in bear country we are talking a different matter. But 1.5 is adequate for self defense from this company.
Old 03-15-20, 04:38 AM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by aabb
Doesnt seem to be available on Amazon Canada :/
Self defense is illegal in Canada, unless your an LEO.
Likes For CoffeedrinkerNC:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.