Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Awesome Jacket

Old 04-09-20, 07:37 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Not to mention that it has a hood, which would act like a parachute brake while riding.
Pretty difficult to have an expedition jacket without a hood. This jacket is made for the most ectreme conditions. If you are in those conditions you will be very happy you have a hood. If you are riding and at the time do not need the hood, you tuck it. Takes about 30 seconds.
Old 04-09-20, 07:47 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Steve B.
That might be the case if there was no head on your shoulders, but I’ve never found a hood catches the wind. Maybe if I was racing and had the bar slammed.
Lets see, an expedition jacket made to protect you from the harshest elements with no hood so your head gets soaked on a very cold, rainy day, or one with a hood so your head does not get soaked on a very cold,rainy day. That is a tough choice...

Maybe you can talk to him.
Old 04-09-20, 07:54 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Gconan
They are running out of sizes on the awesome jacket.
Gconan, you have been following things pretty closely, were you able to make a move on the jacket?

Last edited by mjac; 04-09-20 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-09-20, 08:30 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Yes thank you mjac! 87.78$.The HH website said for me to go with an extra large but were out but Amazon has them. North sea blue.

Last edited by Gconan; 04-09-20 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-09-20, 01:34 PM
mjac

[QUOTE=Gconan;21408934]Yes thank you mjac! 87.78$.The HH website said for me to go with an extra large but were out but Amazon has them. North sea blue.[/

Way to go, you got a hell of a deal. You can thank Oso Polar. Now, I hope I did not over sell the jacket. It's a great jacket though. A little hot for high activity in the summer but can be used in a rain storm and it will get you through any winter condition. I hope it works out.

Last edited by mjac; 04-10-20 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-09-20, 02:18 PM
Gconan

I had fantasized about this very thing. I did not even know you could get all three (rain, wind and breathable) in the same package. Last summer I went for a long ride when it was 85-90 degrees when a brutal thunderstorm appeared. I found myself shivering in the woods for protection. I could have really used this then. Last winter I had thought I dressed appropriately but the wind picked up and was brutal. This awesome jacket will occupy my front or saddle bag forever. Thank you again for the recommendation! And thank you Oslo Polar for the Amazon link!
Old 04-09-20, 03:09 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
You're working pretty hard to sell me this jacket. I already have a rain jacket. I wear it when it rains. It works good.
Likes For Ferrouscious:
Old 04-09-20, 04:09 PM
mjac

I had fantasized about this very thing. I did not even know you could get all three (rain, wind and breathable) in the same package. Last summer I went for a long ride when it was 85-90 degrees when a brutal thunderstorm appeared. I found myself shivering in the woods for protection. I could have really used this then. Last winter I had thought I dressed appropriately but the wind picked up and was brutal. This awesome jacket will occupy my front or saddle bag forever. Thank you again for the recommendation! And thank you Oslo Polar for the Amazon link!
I will lay odds you are going to love it. It will keep the elements off of you and keep you comfortable by breathing exceptionally well. You still have to layer under it for warmth but it will keep out the wind, wind chill and rain. Like I said, it is a little hot for high activity in the summer but if you are caught in a rain storm or thunder storm in the summer it is wearable. But it really functions in harsh winter conditions.

I went to Amazon to see what the heck North Sea Blue looked like and the funniest thing, in the same color, the medium and the large were $300. The XL that you bought was $87. Go figure. Not too long ago this jacket was sold at Helly Hansen for $400. Think you might have gotten a good deal? I brought the jacket up, but Oso Polar made the deal practical.

I

Last edited by mjac; 04-10-20 at 08:13 AM.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-09-20, 04:21 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
You're working pretty hard to sell me this jacket. I already have a rain jacket. I wear it when it rains. It works good.
I resent the insinuation and anyone that agrees with you. I am merely providing accurate and honest information for anyone who might be interested in taking advantage of this great deal and it appears that at least one has and is happy to have found out about it. That alone makes up for snarky remarks coming from people like you and those liking your post. I had no need to convince you to buy severe weather gear. If you already have rain gear, which this is much more then just rain gear, then there is no need for you to be part of this discussion. You have invited yourself and eliminated yourself at the same time.
Old 04-09-20, 05:25 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I like your idea of severe weather gear. It's cute.

Seriously, though. HH is like NorthFace. They do make some Professional level equipment, but most of their 'civilian' line, while it's nice stuff, you're just paying for the label.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 04-09-20, 06:01 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Not credible

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Extreme waterproof and extreme breathability? Miracles do exist!
Your joke is lost on the OP.

Originally Posted by mjac
Lab verified.
Right. Water/windproof is the opposite of breathable. Pick one or the other, and move along.
Old 04-09-20, 06:05 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I like your idea of severe weather gear. It's cute.

Seriously, though. HH is like NorthFace. They do make some Professional level equipment, but most of their 'civilian' line, while it's nice stuff, you're just paying for the label.
I could give a damn what you think is cute. If you do not think the Vanir Slidr Jacket is severe weather gear then you are showing your intelligence like the guy whose post you liked. It is their triple layer professional grade fabric with polyamide in exposure areas. It is lab rated at 20,000 grams/meter squared windproof, 15,000 grams/meter squared moisture vapor permeability and 20,000mm waterproof in the column test. On top of that the exterior is extremely durable making it practical for climbing. Severe weather gear enough for you? Want more information? Cute?

You may be right about their civilian,casuel line. This is not part of their civilian, casuel line. This is the beginning or entry level into their professional grade line which has quite a reputation world wide for over 123 years. And to think you can get a jacket at this level for $60 - $87 in certain sizes and colors because of some crazy end of season sale and have to listen to snarky comments from the fella whose post you liked, is asinine.
Old 04-09-20, 06:22 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by BCDrums
Your joke is lost on the OP.

Right. Water/windproof is the opposite of breathable. Pick one or the other, and move along.
There are laboratory tests that rate these variables figuratively. This particular jacket is rated 20,000 grams/meter squared windproof, 15,000 grams/meter squared moisture vapor permeability (breathable) and 20,000mm waterproof in the column test. This is exceptionally high windproof, breathable and waterproof. Now I am sure if you clamped a piece of fabric to a fire hose you may get some leakage, but I doubt you would get that type of pressure in a rain storm. Those are verifiable numbers, you are talking semantics.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-09-20, 06:38 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
I did a little more digging on this particular jacket, both in its specs and overall reviews. I couldn't find any on this jacket from outlets that I would usually trust. Powder magazine praised it here generically, which doesn't mean anything. On Helly Hansen's website, they mention "15,000gm moisture vapor permeability", which without seeing their breathability testing setup, can only be compared to other products in their own lineup. I am slightly skeptical about the membrane HH chose to use as they brought no attention to it. For kicks and giggles, I looked up some breathability ratings and found a nice write-up on evo.com. For high intensity activities, they recommend jackets in the 20,000g plus range.

In addition, the "52 reviews at Helly Hansen by serious outdoor people" (mjac post 19) seem more like average joes who happen to like the jacket. To play devil's advocate, the jacket features 3 layer construction (it better for $300!), fully taped seams (another expected item for the price), and is (hopefully) decently breathable. It seems like a nice jacket, but this is a cycling specific forum. Some of the most highly praised shell jackets come from Showers Pass as they feature cycling specific cuts and are exceedingly water resistant and breathable.
Old 04-09-20, 06:42 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I could give a damn what you think is cute. If you do not think the Vanir Slidr Jacket is severe weather gear then you are showing your intelligence like the guy whose post you liked. It is their triple layer professional grade fabric with polyamide in exposure areas. It is lab rated at 20,000 grams/meter squared windproof, 15,000 grams/meter squared moisture vapor permeability and 20,000mm waterproof in the column test. On top of that the exterior is extremely durable making it practical for climbing. Severe weather gear enough for you? Want more information? Cute?

You may be right about their civilian,casuel line. This is not part of their civilian, casuel line. This is the beginning or entry level into their professional grade line which has quite a reputation world wide for over 123 years. And to think you can get a jacket at this level for $60 - $87 in certain sizes and colors because of some crazy end of season sale and have to listen to snarky comments from the fella whose post you liked, is asinine.

Yes, cute. Especially if i have to spend a 13-hour watch on a boat deck 200 miles from shore in October, when it's 40* with a 28-kt wind.
My Bulwark jacket doesn't have a name, it has a Rating. And you don't get to pick the color.

Last edited by Ironfish653; 04-09-20 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-09-20, 06:48 PM
BCDrums

This particular jacket is rated 20,000 grams/meter squared...15,000 grams/meter squared moisture vapor permeability ... 20,000mm waterproof in the column test.
I wonder who paid the "lab" for these positive test results. Could it be...Helly Hanson? What could they possibly have to gain?

I am talking experience. A waterproof garment is windproof and does not breath. A breathable garment is not waterproof. A breathable garment trades off between breathability and windproofness. This is common sense.

Last edited by BCDrums; 04-09-20 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-09-20, 09:33 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
I wonder who paid the "lab" for these positive test results. Could it be...Helly Hanson? What could they possibly have to gain?

I am talking experience. A waterproof garment is windproof and does not breath. A breathable garment is not waterproof. A breathable garment trades off between breathability and windproofness. This is common sense.
agree
Old 04-10-20, 09:09 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
I did a little more digging on this particular jacket, both in its specs and overall reviews. I couldn't find any on this jacket from outlets that I would usually trust. Powder magazine praised it here generically, which doesn't mean anything. On Helly Hansen's website, they mention "15,000gm moisture vapor permeability", which without seeing their breathability testing setup, can only be compared to other products in their own lineup. I am slightly skeptical about the membrane HH chose to use as they brought no attention to it. For kicks and giggles, I looked up some breathability ratings and found a nice write-up on evo.com. For high intensity activities, they recommend jackets in the 20,000g plus range.

In addition, the "52 reviews at Helly Hansen by serious outdoor people" (mjac post 19) seem more like average joes who happen to like the jacket. To play devil's advocate, the jacket features 3 layer construction (it better for $300!), fully taped seams (another expected item for the price), and is (hopefully) decently breathable. It seems like a nice jacket, but this is a cycling specific forum. Some of the most highly praised shell jackets come from Showers Pass as they feature cycling specific cuts and are exceedingly water resistant and breathable.
Not a bad write up, pretty informative, well researched and cogent actually. Much better then the ignorant, irrelevant original post you made that Ironfish653 saw fit to like.

Now down to business. You have actually verified all of the claims I have made about this jacket by after doing rather extensive research not being able to refute a single one. As some of your research led you to the evo.com article that was pretty good which recommended 20,000 grams/meter squared rating for high level activity, that is attainable in light weight shells within reasonable price ranges but not very attainable in a three layer professional grade winter jacket at an approachable price. Show me another jacket in this price range that has 15,000 grams/meter squared vapor,moisture permeability. That is exceptional breath ability for a jacket with this high of a waterproof rating and windproof rating not to mention in this price range ven at its regular price of $300. You add all that up and realize this man Gconan was able to purchase this jacket off of Amazon at an end of season sale for $87 with probably no taxes, free shipping and Rene returns there is not a negative thing you can say despite your best efforts because you hate to see something positive happen.

I believe you did some selective reading of the reviews at Helly Hansen. They included reviews from Alpinests and Expeditionists from around the world who were verified purchasers. Again, a refusal on your part to acknowledge anything positive.

There may be som excellent cycling specific apparel at Showers Pass. Show me a jacket that has these windproof, waterproof and moisture,vapor permeability ratings for $60 - $87 that this sale provides in the Vanir Slidr Jacket. Which is the point of this whole thread which you have apparently missed.
Old 04-10-20, 09:27 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Yes, cute. Especially if i have to spend a 13-hour watch on a boat deck 200 miles from shore in October, when it's 40* with a 28-kt wind.
My Bulwark jacket doesn't have a name, it has a Rating. And you don't get to pick the color.
Like I said, since you seem to fail to listen, the Vanir Slidr Jacket is not the top of the line Helly Hansen Severe Weather Jacket, it is their entry level Professional Grade Jacket, not your Bulwark. I will be the first to admit that companies like Helly Hansen have become fashion shows which is what you are trying to say compared to Bulwark Gear and you are right. But that being said, you layer properly under the Vanir Slidr Jacket I can handle your watch. Not as well as your Bulwark, but it can handle it. You add to that you can pick up one of these jackets right now for $60 - $87 in certain sizes and colors on an Amazon sale you can not say a ad thing about it. It is not a Bulwark and it does not cost as much as a Bulwark and an not handle some of the things a Bulwark can, but it is an exceptional jacket that can handle anything a laymen would come across at an exceptional price. There is definitely a place for it.
Old 04-10-20, 09:56 AM
mjac

If you can refute Helly Hansen's numbers in their ratings,refute them. Do the research and show the discrepancies. Show any evidence whatsoever of Helly Hansen inflating their fabric ratings at any time. I am sure if this was occurring you should be able to find something in the 123 years Helly Hansen has been in existence. They caught Volkswagon inflating EPA numbers, catch Helly Hansen. If you can't, then you have to leave Helly Hansen alone. You and the others do not want to admit it because not a positive word comes out of your mouths, but Helly Hansen is a reputable company.

You are misinformed and uneducated. It is widely accepted throughout the textile, outdoors and testing protocol industries that a 15,000mm waterproof rating in the column test is virtually waterproof in naturally occurring environments. The Vanir Slidr Jacket is rated at 20,000mm waterproofing in the column test. Now is that technically as waterproof as a 3/4" plate of glass? No of course not. But for all practical purposes it is waterproof under any conditions a human being will encounter in the natural environment. Which is all that matters. So they achieve this level of acceptable waterproof while still maintaining the highest level of water vapor permeability that they can. Which in the case of the Vanir Slidr is 15,000 grams/meter squared which is an exceptionally high number for a jacket with this level of waterproof and windproof rating. Add to this you can get this jacket on an end of season sale on Amazon for $60 - $87 in certain sizes and colors.

Last edited by mjac; 04-10-20 at 12:18 PM.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-10-20, 10:23 AM
BCDrums

If you can refute Helly Hansen's numbers in their ratings,refute them... misinformed and uneducated ... widely accepted ... textile, outdoors and testing protocol industries ... 15,000mm waterproof rating ... virtually waterproof ... naturally occurring environments...
Blah, blah, blah.

The Vanir Slidr Jacket ... 20,000mm waterproofing... 15,000 grams/meter squared ... exceptionally high number... end of season sale ... $60 - $87 in certain sizes...
It's great that you like it so much.

and none ofyour little gang has a single positive thing to say, says a lot about you.
Old 04-10-20, 11:24 AM
mjac

Blah, blah, blah.

It's great that you like it so much.

Did you have toys when you were growing up?
Old 04-10-20, 01:34 PM
mjac

A little note to "Gconan":

All of this is BS, even my virtuous informing, though it is somewhat helpful for initial impressions. The only thing that matters is when you put your hands on the jacket and you put it through your own personal test, how it measures up. The only thing I regret is that the element on BF that finds it necessary to find something negative about every single thing that is presented on BF, for whatever reason, would prevent someone like Gconan from even giving the jacket a try. But Gconan pulled the trigger on the jacket despite this negative attitude and I have great respect for that. There were five different people on this "thread" alone that denied the existence of a functionally waterproof and breathable garment here in the 21st century and Gconan saw his way through that group think and thought for himself.That alone was worth putting up with the uninformed, uneducated sarcasm.
Old 04-10-20, 01:50 PM
Gconan

Again, thank you mjac for the recommendation! To have this on hand when the weather turns unexpectedly for the worse is something that I have greatly needed in the past and come this Sunday I will have in my front bag or saddle pack. I simply could not afford a $300 one but $87-150 was just to good of an opportunity to pass up for quality clothing like this.
Old 04-10-20, 02:04 PM
mjac

Again, thank you mjac for the recommendation! To have this on hand when the weather turns unexpectedly for the worse is something that I have greatly needed in the past and come this Sunday I will have in my front bag or saddle pack. I simply could not afford a $300 one but $87-150 was just to good of an opportunity to pass up for quality clothing like this.
Say thanks when it meets your expectations, that's the only time that counts and proves the naysayers wrong. You had the guts to do the deal, you deserve a lot of credit. Amazon never has Helly Hansen gear on sale, never. I don't even look there for deals anymore. But for some reason even though he had no skin in the game Oso Polar looked. The deal would not have happened without him.
Likes For mjac:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.