Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Awesome Jacket

Old 04-10-20, 03:52 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Blah, blah, blah.

It's great that you like it so much.

Remarkable, isn't it? Even by the very low standards of teh Biek Forms, one is tempted to paraphrase: never, in the history of humankind, has so much been said, and with so much vitriol, about something so utterly trivial.

Apparently, the act of buying a jacket has become a feat of heroic defiance in the face of all odds. This one puts 'waving' and 'MUP' threads to shame. It is destined to become a Spring Classic.
Likes For badger1:
Old 04-10-20, 04:20 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
It is about having good clothing in adverse weather conditions.
Old 04-10-20, 04:52 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Dang, just went to look at and buy one from Amazon .. but it's only the Small that's available for the sale price. When I changed it to a Medium, the the price went back up to the regular $300. Kind of a shock, so I quickly backed out. Will keep an eye on stuff like this, thought.My last "good" rain jacket is now really just a windbreaker.
Old 04-10-20, 05:34 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
Dang, just went to look at and buy one from Amazon .. but it's only the Small that's available for the sale price. When I changed it to a Medium, the the price went back up to the regular $300. Kind of a shock, so I quickly backed out. Will keep an eye on stuff like this, thought.My last "good" rain jacket is now really just a windbreaker.
It's an end of season sale so some sizes might be added as the sale goes on. What they are doing right now doesn't make much sense but for some reason some of the jackets had great prices on them and at least one person was able to get a North Sea Blue color in XL for $87. Not bad. Especially for this jacket. Did you go through all of the colors in your size? It changes.
Old 04-10-20, 05:41 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by badger1
Remarkable, isn't it? Even by the very low standards of teh Biek Forms, one is tempted to paraphrase: never, in the history of humankind, has so much been said, and with so much vitriol, about something so utterly trivial.

Apparently, the act of buying a jacket has become a feat of heroic defiance in the face of all odds. This one puts 'waving' and 'MUP' threads to shame. It is destined to become a Spring Classic.
When I figure out your point I will let you know. But if you have this genius BCDrums agreeing with you it makes me very dubious. Maybe you two would make a good pair.
Old 04-10-20, 06:39 PM
Gconan

58.36 for a medium in bright orange.
Old 04-10-20, 06:53 PM
mjac

I was just going to post the same thing but Gconan beat me to it. He is a little quicker then me.

If you can live with it, they have the high vis Orange in medium or $58.36. The steal of the century. That is cheaper then Gconan got his.

They also have the solid black in medium for $194.

And the black with slight yellow/ green highlights (you can not see it in the pictures) in medium for $165. This is the one I have.

Maybe you can hold out or take a shot at one of these.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-10-20, 07:03 PM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
It's an end of season sale so some sizes might be added as the sale goes on. What they are doing right now doesn't make much sense but for some reason some of the jackets had great prices on them and at least one person was able to get a North Sea Blue color in XL for $87. Not bad. Especially for this jacket. Did you go through all of the colors in your size? It changes.
I was able to get one in black in a xl size placed the order last Saturday it was 87.00!bucks checked today same jacket from amazon was 300.00 so hope when it arrives it is a good jacket in any event for the price should be just fine
Old 04-10-20, 07:16 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Have you reapplied the DWR treatment? NikWax sells it, you just toss the jacket in the washer with some of the product.
Old 04-10-20, 07:31 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Like I said, since you seem to fail to listen
If you can refute Helly Hansen's numbers in their ratings,refute them. You and the others do not want to admit it because not a positive word comes out of your mouths. You are misinformed and uneducated.
Did you have toys when you were growing up?
All of this is BS, The only thing I regret is that the element on BF that finds it necessary to find something negative about every single thing that is presented on BF. There were five different people on this "thread" alone that denied the existence of a functionally waterproof and breathable garment here in the 21st century That alone was worth putting up with the uninformed, uneducated sarcasm.
When I figure out your point I will let you know. But if you have this genius BCDrums agreeing with you it makes me very dubious. Maybe you two would make a good pair.
It's only a jacket, Your Honor. We plead insanity. The defense rests.

Last edited by BCDrums; 04-10-20 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-10-20, 08:09 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by mjacoff
When I figure out your point I will let you know.
Not holding my breath.
But if you have this genius BCDrums agreeing with you...
Thankya, thankya vurry mush.
it makes me very dubious.
You were dubious when you got here.
Maybe you two would make a good pair.
Thanks, but I'm all set.

Since the moderators seem to be off for the weekend (and all best to them, and to you), I am treating this thread as comedy now.

Last edited by BCDrums; 04-10-20 at 08:16 PM.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 04-10-20, 08:13 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by ridingfool
I was able to get one in black in a xl size placed the order last Saturday it was 87.00!bucks checked today same jacket from amazon was 300.00 so hope when it arrives it is a good jacket in any event for the price should be just fine
You mean from last Saturday until today, the same size and color jacket went from $87 to $300? This is even crazier then I thought. I wonder what the reasoning is behind this madness. Maybe it's just alogorithms but it has got me. This just enforces the idea that you have to keep monitoring this Amazon page because anything can happen.
Old 04-10-20, 08:21 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
Have you reapplied the DWR treatment? NikWax sells it, you just toss the jacket in the washer with some of the product.
Ferrouscious is right, it is only a light weight shell, it has no liner. The DWR is the only waterproofing. DWR has to be reapplied to even the most expensive jackets. Grainger also makes one that is highly regarded.
Old 04-10-20, 08:30 PM
mjac

It's only a jacket, Your Honor. We plead insanity. The defense rests.
Not holding my breath.

Thankya, thankya vurry mush.You were dubious when you got here.
Thanks, but I'm all set.

Since the moderators seem to be off for the weekend (and all best to them, and to you), I am treating this thread as comedy now.
I got my point across. Maybe not the way you like, but I got it across to shut ya'll up while you were trying to derail a thread that did not belong to you. There is a method to the madness. Now back to helping people find a great deal on a great jacket while ya'll have done nothing but make snarky comments mr. Waterproof and Breathability don't exist together. Pure genius.
Old 04-10-20, 08:37 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
I don't get your motivation to defend this jacket so fiercely

have you ridden in it? what temps/conditions and how many miles or minutes/hours? what results did you experience?

finally do you have some pics or even a video where you wear this amazing jacket?

post your evidence please
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 04-10-20, 08:42 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by mjacoff
I got my point across. There is a method to the madness.
You're half right.

Last edited by BCDrums; 04-10-20 at 08:56 PM.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 04-10-20, 09:16 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
I don't get your motivation to defend this jacket so fiercely

have you ridden in it? what temps/conditions and how many miles or minutes/hours? what results did you experience?

finally do you have some pics or even a video where you wear this amazing jacket?

post your evidence please
I do not know where you got this impression. I am not defending this jacket. I am letting you know that it is a great jacket for what it is made for and it is on sale that makes it a great value for the money if not an out and out steal and I back up the first conclusion with evidence of its construction and performance. I see nothing wrong with that. If you read the thread the same question was asked about what experience I have had with this jacket and I answered it. What sold me on the jacket was I went out on a very overcast, humid day with the temperature 26 F on a bike path located on top of a levee on a lake with the wind blowing 15 - 20 mph with quite a wind chill and I was wearing a Tesla Compression Shirt, a light weight Helly Hansen thermal insulating shirt, this Jacket, the Vanir Slidr and the HH Odin Skarstind Pant. The bike ride was not only bearable but completely comfortable without any sensation of being clammy. The Jacket worked and functioned beautifully in cutting the wind and breathing very well. It is a great fit, very flexible for the protection it provides and has very good range of motion. I will kayak in it. You add this up and some of these sizes and colors are available on Amazon for $57 - $87 with this season ending sale I want people to be aware of it and be able to take advantage of it and at least one has.
Old 04-10-20, 09:32 PM
mjac

You're half right.
Peel away all of the generalities and repeating what other people have said and passing judgement on it, you have made one declarative statement in this whole discussion, that a garment can not be breathable and waterproof at the same time. That one declarative statement lacks so much understanding it eliminates you from any consideration.
Old 04-10-20, 10:42 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Hey, I like good gear, and good deals as much as the next guy. More, maybe, since a lot of my stuff has to meet very specific requirements that the vast majority of people haven't ever thought of, and acquiring a bunch of mission-specific gear gets expensive.
And as useful as it is to have a few pieces of multi-role kit, sometimes you have a certain need, property or feature that only purpose-designed things will provide.
Trying to find "The One Perfect" (bike, shoe, car, jacket...) is a noble cause, but really all it needs to do is 'work well enough for when i need it' rather than be the 'Perfect Thing for All Things"

I think we're just slightly bemused by the effusive praise heaped upon this jacket, and the repeated scripturization of the technical 'specification' of it's catalog entry, as well as the vigorous reproachment mounted by the OP when anyone says 'Meh' Glad that jacket's waterproof; I hear hair shirts get really itchy when they get wet.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 04-11-20, 04:59 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Hey, I like good gear, and good deals as much as the next guy. More, maybe, since a lot of my stuff has to meet very specific requirements that the vast majority of people haven't ever thought of, and acquiring a bunch of mission-specific gear gets expensive.
And as useful as it is to have a few pieces of multi-role kit, sometimes you have a certain need, property or feature that only purpose-designed things will provide.
Trying to find "The One Perfect" (bike, shoe, car, jacket...) is a noble cause, but really all it needs to do is 'work well enough for when i need it' rather than be the 'Perfect Thing for All Things"

I think we're just slightly bemused by the effusive praise heaped upon this jacket, and the repeated scripturization of the technical 'specification' of it's catalog entry, as well as the vigorous reproachment mounted by the OP when anyone says 'Meh' Glad that jacket's waterproof; I hear hair shirts get really itchy when they get wet.
Nice generalization, now let's get down to some actual facts. I have shown the specifications, construction details and ancedotal performance in reviews by pretty serious outdoor people at Helly Hansen of this jacket. Oso Polar provided a link to a sale on Amazon where this pretty descent harsh weather jacket is available for $57 - $87 in certain sizes and colors. Show me any jacket with the same specifications and construction that can be had for anything remotely close to that price. Go ahead. I am waiting.
Old 04-11-20, 05:14 AM
BCDrums

Peel away all of the generalities and repeating what other people have said and passing judgement on it, you have made one declarative statement in this whole discussion, that a garment can not be breathable and waterproof at the same time. That one declarative statement lacks so much understanding it eliminates you from any consideration.
I'm hoping you'll eliminate me from further comment.

Last edited by BCDrums; 04-12-20 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-11-20, 06:25 AM
mjac

I'm hoping you'll eliminate me from further comment.
You can not defend your statement, you are irrelevant.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-11-20, 05:18 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Nice generalization, now let's get down to some actual facts. I have shown the specifications, construction details and ancedotal performance in reviews by pretty serious outdoor people at Helly Hansen of this jacket. Oso Polar provided a link to a sale on Amazon where this pretty descent harsh weather jacket is available for $57 - $87 in certain sizes and colors. Show me any jacket with the same specifications and construction that can be had for anything remotely close to that price. Go ahead. I am waiting.
How about No.
I don't really have the time (Ok, I do, but I don't feel the need to) to get into the weeds about the lab test values of the waterproof ability of a jacket. I don't wear my jacket in the lab. Ok, I do, but only if I've just come inside.

None of us really have a quarrel with the jacket itself, it seems like a nice enough jacket, good price for the brand, but nothing you couldn't also get from labels like TheNorthFace, Mountain HardWear and even L.L.Bean. Some of us are pretty serious outdoor people, too, and our requirements for a cycling rain jacket, or our definition what severe weather entails might be different than yours.

It's just that the effusive, florid prose in praise of this jacket, and your strangely congratulatory, yet relentless pursuit of the members who expressed interest in it, coupled with the righteous indignation leveled at the intelligence of those who had the temerity to say 'Meh,' is just, well, really over the top for something as mundane as a jacket.

I mean, since your crusade to become a martyr in defense of Gatorbacks didn't work out, this is the hill you've chosen to die on?
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 04-11-20, 06:17 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
How about No.
I don't really have the time (Ok, I do, but I don't feel the need to) to get into the weeds about the lab test values of the waterproof ability of a jacket. I don't wear my jacket in the lab. Ok, I do, but only if I've just come inside.

None of us really have a quarrel with the jacket itself, it seems like a nice enough jacket, good price for the brand, but nothing you couldn't also get from labels like TheNorthFace, Mountain HardWear and even L.L.Bean. Some of us are pretty serious outdoor people, too, and our requirements for a cycling rain jacket, or our definition what severe weather entails might be different than yours.

It's just that the effusive, florid prose in praise of this jacket, and your strangely congratulatory, yet relentless pursuit of the members who expressed interest in it, coupled with the righteous indignation leveled at the intelligence of those who had the temerity to say 'Meh,' is just, well, really over the top for something as mundane as a jacket.

I mean, since your crusade to become a martyr in defense of Gatorbacks didn't work out, this is the hill you've chosen to die on?
I accept the premise of what you have to say.

Some observations:

In regards to the half hearted challenge to you, you can not find a jacket constructed like this particular Helly Hansen Jacket, the Vanir Slidr, with these specifications at The North Face, Mountain Hardweare or L.L. Bean at this price of this sale, $57 - $87 for certain sizes and colors. Not only you couldn't find one, you wouldn't even come close, not even in the ballpark. That is why I emphasized things so much, to try and get people interested, which is hard to do on BF because of so much skepticism here. This is truly a great deal without any exaggeration. I think you lump all HH gear together in their fashion model lines. I do not think you are familiar with this particular jacket and are heavily underestimating it. This is a really competent, professional jacket.

Again, my descriptions of the jacket and agreeing with those that developed an interest in it was to get them to try the jacket, because I truly believe it is well made and well designed, much better then you may think, at a tremendous deal. I have never seen a deal like this. I would like to see some people take advantage of it. As to your other point you are wrong. I did not express righteous indignation at the intelligence of those who said Meh, I did at those who made irrelevant comments trying to derail the thread. Two quick examples, the guy who said I was trying to personally sell him a jacket after he came onto the thread of his on free will and I did not even know he was there. This is the one you agreed with. Then we had the gentleman who said you can not have a breathable and waterproof jacket. That was enough.

I was a martyr for Hard Case Gator Skins.

We shall see what happens when Gconan receives his jacket.
Old 04-13-20, 08:54 AM
Gconan

Fantastic jacket! Got to actually use it yesterday. At the end of my ride it was threatening to rain. I stopped to eat a pizza before making it to the house. Started raining and the wind picked up as well. The hood covered my helmet easily. Also the jacket covered up my hip pack completely keeping it dry. No wind got through the jacket. Fantastic jacket!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.