Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Success w/alternative cotton bar tape

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20, 09:32 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts

If you’ve ever wondered what a 72 yard roll of 3/4” wide cotton twill tape looks like, here you go...

Recently arrived from twilltape.com (no affiliation). It was a tad under $17 plus $7 or so for shipping. The tape is much like Newbaum’s except that it is plain tape, no adhesive.

I’ve wrapped both bikes with it now. I used purple, disappearing school glue sticks to glue the tape on. The tape feels great and is staying in place just fine. I wrapped from both ends and tucked the end under the outer side of the lever hood. Takes a few inches less than my wingspan to go bar end to lever and a few inches more than my wingspan to go from clamp area to lever, assuming almost 50% overlap.

So far it seems to be quite a successful experiment! And I still have enough tape to re-wrap both bikes about 7 or 8 more times!

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 09-20-20 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-20-20, 09:39 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I figured as much was available somewhere.

3M sticky spray would have been my choice under the tape.

I've been wanting to teach myself how to do the fancy diamond wrap, mosaic or whatever it's called. That takes 4 rolls per bike and once it's shellacked, almost permanent (for a while anyway). Something like this would be great to practice with. I'm certain smaller quantities are available at the fabric store by the foot.
Old 09-20-20, 09:50 PM
amillhench
TXHC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
If you’ve ever wondered what a 72 yard roll of 3/4” wide cotton twill tape looks like, here you go...

Recently arrived from twilltape.com (no affiliation).
I see they have custom printing on their tape.

The gears are turning...
Old 09-20-20, 09:51 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by rosefarts
3M sticky spray would have been my choice under the tape
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll keep that in mind next time. The glue sticks were handy, so that’s what I went with. And yes, this would be handy to experiment with.

Also, this is the version they sell in lots of colors (36 colors, IIRC). I think it’s middle weight by their reckoning. They also sell a light weight and a heavy weight version in only basic colors like black, white and natural.

Otto
Old 09-20-20, 10:00 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Looks good. Fwiw for estimating - Newbaum’s tape is 10’ rolls and seems plenty generous.
Old 09-21-20, 06:29 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by due ruote
Looks good. Fwiw for estimating - Newbaum’s tape is 10’ rolls and seems plenty generous.
I used some Newbaum tape the last time. It’s enough to tape bars, but I have 45 cm bars, and I like to overlap almost halfway and tape all the way up next to the wider center region, so I seem to use nearly 12’ if I have it.

Perhaps more important to a cheerfully low end person like myself, I can get 72 yards for about the same price as less than 7 yards (two rolls) of Newbaum’s!

Otto
Old 09-23-20, 12:31 AM
luns

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I figured as much was available somewhere.

3M sticky spray would have been my choice under the tape.

I've been wanting to teach myself how to do the fancy diamond wrap, mosaic or whatever it's called. That takes 4 rolls per bike and once it's shellacked, almost permanent (for a while anyway). Something like this would be great to practice with. I'm certain smaller quantities are available at the fabric store by the foot.
The last harlequin wrap that I did was Newbaum's tape over a base of tattered used cork tape, and turned out much nicer than I expected. The cork provides cushioning that the cotton tape didn't, while the cotton was somewhat more durable against cuts and scrapes than the cork. I'd thought of shellacing the tape, but imagine that would either crack and flake off from the flex the cork allows, or stiffen the tape enough to defeat the cushioning.

I did contemplate trying out liquid latex instead of shellac, but never did get to give it a try. I think I'd actually want to soak the tape in liquid latex before wrapping rather than applying it afterwards. I suppose I'd have to find some sort of drum to wind it onto for drying, but this also offers a chance to mix some pigments into the latex that are hopefully more colorfast than Newbaum's dyes.
Old 09-23-20, 12:44 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
that looks a lot cheaper than what people are selling on evilbay! thanks for that!

Spence Wolf at Cupertino Bike Shop used to sell neoprene strips that you would put underneath the tape on the tops and drops. What a difference!.

I believe it was 1/4 inch, so when you compressed it with the tape a bit, it would be a little stiffer.
Old 09-23-20, 06:19 AM
WT160

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by luns
The last harlequin wrap that I did was Newbaum's tape over a base of tattered used cork tape, and turned out much nicer than I expected. The cork provides cushioning that the cotton tape didn't, while the cotton was somewhat more durable against cuts and scrapes than the cork. I'd thought of shellacing the tape, but imagine that would either crack and flake off from the flex the cork allows, or stiffen the tape enough to defeat the cushioning.

I did contemplate trying out liquid latex instead of shellac, but never did get to give it a try. I think I'd actually want to soak the tape in liquid latex before wrapping rather than applying it afterwards. I suppose I'd have to find some sort of drum to wind it onto for drying, but this also offers a chance to mix some pigments into the latex that are hopefully more colorfast than Newbaum's dyes.
I'd like to try your idea of wrapping with Newbaum's over cork. Anything to look out for?

Last edited by WT160; 09-23-20 at 06:20 AM. Reason: typos