Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

worth getting narrower tires? (currently running 40mm)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

worth getting narrower tires? (currently running 40mm)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 05:33 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I have been commuting on 28mm tires for decades. Never an issue with flats or durability. I also have a Miyata 1000 with 38mm tires on it that I use for commuting once in a while. The fit of the two bikes is near identical. The rack, bags, lights, pedals, and drive train are identical. The different tire size makes a slight difference in the commute time. 15 miles one way takes about 10 minutes longer on the wider tire bike. Mostly I feel the difference climbing out of the river valley, and the other hills on the route. Comes down to acceleration. When the wheels have to be pushed the narrow tires do it better. I will say, the 38mm tires have never had a flat, whereas the 28mm have had two flats in the last 4000 miles. 28mm tires are the low end Conti Ultra Sport tires, the 38mm tires are Conti City Ride tires.
I believe my road bike 28's are Ultra Sport also, and I'd say this is all on target. Maybe two flats in the last 4000 miles, out of two tires. I have 28's on my single speed commuter also. I might go up to 32's there if they would fit, but not wider.
Old 10-18-20, 06:01 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Narrower tire will FEEL faster because you will bounce more at a given speed. But unless the pavement is 100% smooth, the wider tire will be faster.

Get a tire of the same size with more efficient rubber and tread. However, unless you have knobby tires, tires contribute little to effort required.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 10-18-20, 06:10 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Get a tire of the same size with more efficient rubber and tread. However, unless you have knobby tires, tires contribute little to effort required.
Rolling resistance behaves exactly the same as road slope. I can't tell where your cut off is for a little contribution but I don't think road grade and gravity are something to be ignored. From Robert Chung, "If you're a weight weenie, you should definitely also be a Crr weenie." https://marginalgainspodcast.cc/the-...-robert-chung/ https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...hung_P7086944/
Old 10-18-20, 06:25 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by asgelle
Rolling resistance behaves exactly the same as road slope. I can't tell where your cut off is for a little contribution but I don't think road grade and gravity are something to be ignored. From Robert Chung, "If you're a weight weenie, you should definitely also be a Crr weenie." https://marginalgainspodcast.cc/the-...-robert-chung/ https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...hung_P7086944/
hah. I used to listen to marginal gains podcast. But is too racy for me. I assume OP also is just riding along.

As I said, unless you have an MTB tire, the differences in rolling resistance are small. Especially compared to aero on a hybrid. But I'm a hypocrite, I run Schwalbe Almotion with extremely low resistance. But I have 2.15 in front and 2.0 in rear. Nice comfy and rolls well over imperfect surfaces.
Old 10-18-20, 06:44 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Narrower tire will FEEL faster because you will bounce more at a given speed. But unless the pavement is 100% smooth, the wider tire will be faster.

Actually, it’s common to have tires require a total of 30 to 50 watts, say for road to MTB tires, and for tires of roughly similar size and construction, knobs typically add a few watts per tire.

Otto
Old 10-18-20, 07:10 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by ofajen
Actually, it’s common to have tires require a total of 30 to 50 watts, say for road to MTB tires, and for tires of roughly similar size and construction, knobs typically add a few watts per tire.

Otto
Read the OP. He would go from one hybrid tire to a slightly different hybrid tire. I have a 4.8" fatbike and know very well the huge rolling difference to my hybrid. But that isn't the OP question.
Old 10-18-20, 07:11 PM
altondavis2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Agreed, if you want more performance, pedal faster.
Old 10-18-20, 07:17 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by altondavis2
Agreed, if you want more performance, pedal faster.
How fast one goes depends on the propulsive force provided by the rider balanced against the resistive forces from the environment. It makes no difference if you increase the former or decrease the latter. For an experienced rider, there is usually much more to be gained through reducing resistance.
Old 10-18-20, 07:19 PM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Rolling resistance behaves exactly the same as road slope. I can't tell where your cut off is for a little contribution but I don't think road grade and gravity are something to be ignored.
No kidding. On a recent climb with a 17% grade traveling at 6.3 MPH (34/34@80rpm) 12.8 watts were needed to overcome rolling resistance, 5.6 watts for drag, and 421.3 watts for gravity. Gravity made up 95.8% of the power needed to make that climb at that (low) speed.
Old 10-18-20, 07:27 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by Gary in NJ
No kidding. On a recent climb with a 17% grade traveling at 6.3 MPH (34/34@80rpm) 12.8 watts were needed to overcome rolling resistance, 5.6 watts for drag, and 421.3 watts for gravity. Gravity made up 95.8% of the power needed to make that climb at that (low) speed.
I’m not about to repeat what was explained so well in the podcast. Listen, don’t listen; think about it or not, doesn’t matter to me.
Old 10-18-20, 07:36 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts

If you're not riding on gravel 40mm Schwalbe G-One All arounds are much slower. If you're riding solo for exercise it doesn't make a difference how fast you go but if you're commuting or trying to keep up with a group some 28mm slicks would be significantly (~2mph) faster.
Old 10-18-20, 08:16 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
No. Bicycle tire calculators say that is right for my weight. Years of riding experience tell me that is the right pressure for my weight. Frankly, I see any thing less than that to be far too low. I’ve never had problems with pinch flats nor with rim damage. I’ve ridden on tires that are going flat and could never stand the wallowing feel that goes along with flat tires.
No. If you need 40psi to avoid pinch flats you need bigger tires. Or tubeless. I barely run half that in 33mm cx tires. 40psi in ANY mtb tire is crazy. If it's bigger than 2.1 or 2.2" it's ridiculous.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-18-20, 10:16 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Ridden Colnago on sew ups. Everything in between. Currently on a Cross Check with 42c Conti Speedrides. Rolls as well as anything I’ve had, and rides incredibly well. I run them a little soft. Just go by feeling. Never going back!
Old 10-18-20, 10:31 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
No. If you need 40psi to avoid pinch flats you need bigger tires. Or tubeless. I barely run half that in 33mm cx tires. 40psi in ANY mtb tire is crazy. If it's bigger than 2.1 or 2.2" it's ridiculous.
I don’t agree. Less than 40 psi for my weight with 2.1” tires will result in not only pinch flats...an annoyance...but also damage to the rims when the rim bottoms out which is a much worse problem. Tubeless doesn’t solve that problem, it just takes away the symptoms of the problem. I’ve seen many expensive wheels that have been ruined from people running essentially flat tubeless tires.

And, as I said above, tires run at 20 psi feel like flat tires to me. I’ve ridden on tires that are going flat and hate how they feel on corners. It feels like the tire is folding off the rim which it is. I’ve been running this pressure for most of 4 decades without issues. I don’t experience pinch flats because I don’t ride flat tires. I don’t bend rims because I don’t ride flat tires. I ride off road just fine with the pressure I use.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-19-20, 12:47 AM
Sembikes
Sembikes

Bikes: AM/XC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it depends on road conditions or deep sections wheels...
Old 10-19-20, 02:07 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Think quality not width..
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 10-19-20, 10:01 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by gorillimo
Ridden Colnago on sew ups. Everything in between. Currently on a Cross Check with 42c Conti Speedrides. Rolls as well as anything I’ve had, and rides incredibly well. I run them a little soft. Just go by feeling. Never going back!
The Speed Rides are a very good choice. If I had a Cross Check running 40/16 SS with those Speed Rides and my usual touring/swept bars, that would be my only bike. 👍

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 10-19-20 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-19-20, 10:32 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Sembikes
it depends on road conditions or deep sections wheels...
What are you talking about? Explain...
Old 10-19-20, 10:40 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by cxwrench
40psi on a mountain bike?!? How do you stay upright? That's crazy high.
It’s really going to vary based on total weight, tire size and construction, riding surface and so on.

With a total weight of 200 lbs, I run almost 40 psi on the rear with a 26x2.0 Contact Speed on road and dry crushed stone trails, but more like 32 front 34 rear on 26x2.2 Race Kings on gravel and slightly soft trails. If it were messy, I’d be running lower. YMMV.

Otto
Old 10-19-20, 11:15 AM
gorillimo

The Speed Rides are a very good choice. If I had a Cross Check running 40/16 SS with those Speed Rides and my usual touring/swept bars, that would be my only bike. 👍

Otto
This one *is* my only bike.....

Last edited by gorillimo; 10-19-20 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-19-20, 12:29 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'm 165lbs. I run the following:
33mm CX tubulars are usually around 20psi for racing.
33mm - 35mm clinchers are usually around 30-45psi for training and gravel
32mm tubeless road tires are 50psi

When I used to run 28mm clincher road tires, I'd air them up to around 65-70psi. I didn't notice any difference in speed between 28mm and 32mm. I do notice a pretty big difference in speed (on pavement) between 32mm road tires and 35mm gravel tires.
Old 10-19-20, 06:45 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

This one *is* my only bike.....
Actually I have a basically similar bike with touring bars and 42/16 SS built from a vintage MTB and running 26x2.0 or 2.2. The only benefit to switching would be more selection of tires.

It’s mainly for nostalgia that I keep a 700x32 roadish bike built up: it gives me a use for nice caliper brakes, road cranks, etc that I bought long years ago. Of course that bike is also a few pounds lighter and typically at least 1/2 mph faster, at least on routes I’m willing to ride a “skinny tire” bike.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-19-20, 07:51 PM
gorillimo

It’s mainly for nostalgia that I keep a 700x32 roadish bike built up:
Otto
Id been leaning towards more versatile bikes. A Grant Peterson fanboy. Was about to hit the button on a demo Riv. The next day the CC came up local. Very similar, but 1/3 the price. Goes anywhere, does anything. Trails. Road. Errands. Just for fun. A half century. A really good bike!
Old 10-20-20, 06:55 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Id been leaning towards more versatile bikes. A Grant Peterson fanboy. Was about to hit the button on a demo Riv. The next day the CC came up local. Very similar, but 1/3 the price. Goes anywhere, does anything. Trails. Road. Errands. Just for fun. A half century. A really good bike!
I really like that one. What kind of bars are you running?

The guy who sold me the RockHopper MTB frame a few years back runs one of our local bike shops. A year ago he was selling his CC frame and wheels to go with it, if needed. But it was a 23” frame and I’m tall enough to really want something around 25” in 700C.

If I do buy another frame, it will be something about like that, to run Speed Rides in that size. About the only new parts I would need other than what’s on the Schwinn would be brakes. That would be a little sad, as I’ve run the Superbe brakes for over forty years and they are probably good for at least another forty.

Otto
Old 10-20-20, 07:12 AM
gorillimo

I really like that one. What kind of bars are you running?
Otto
The bars are Noirette plus, from Amazon.
Pretty funny. The bike previous to this was a modded Rockhopper!
Likes For gorillimo:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.