Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Hands and feet in the rain

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Hands and feet in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 04:59 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
After your trip, let us know how those neoprene socks work out.
Will do (well, if there's a trip this summer. Things took a turn for the worst...]

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I do not think i have heard of any that were only 0.5mm thick.
Became aware searching for DCF booties on Zpacks' site. I have 3mm (on a boat) but wouldn't consider bringing them on a bike tour -- doesn't pack well, takes ages to dry. But 0.5mm... might do the trick.
Old 04-27-21, 05:08 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
oh, these are the sort of rain shoe covers that I own, mine are the older version, but fairly similar

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5029-5...er-Shoe-Covers
Old 04-27-21, 08:50 PM
gauvins

hmmm... neoprene socks work differently -- you get wet, but not cold. Whereas booties try to keep you dry.

Those I've settled on are the NRS. Notice that they are called wetsocks. 80g/300ml. For the record, the Raidlight mitts (synthetic shell designed to keep you dry) weigh 20g and should pack at well under 100ml. I'll update when I receive them (as is usually the case, easy to find the weight, but limited to no information on packed size).

Last edited by gauvins; 04-27-21 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-27-21, 09:22 PM
djb

Originally Posted by gauvins
Will do (well, if there's a trip this summer. Things took a turn for the worse.
I hope you just mean the general covid situation, and not anything specific for you.
Old 04-27-21, 09:29 PM
djb

Originally Posted by gauvins
hmmm... neoprene socks work differently -- you get wet, but not cold. Whereas booties try to keep you dry.

Those I've settled on are the NRS. Notice that they are called wetsocks. 80g/300ml. For the record, the Raidlight mitts (synthetic shell designed to keep you dry) weigh 20g and should pack at well under 100ml. I'll update when I receive them (as is usually the case, easy to find the weight, but limited to no information on packed size).
of course, I didn't think my response out well.
yes, do let us know how these socks work out, and the thin waterproof overmitts. I have an old pair, made from goretex, and I love them-- really more for cold riding as they help immensely to keep my hands from the cold air.
Old 04-27-21, 10:48 PM
gauvins

Originally Posted by djb
I hope you just mean the general covid situation, and not anything specific for you.
Yes, the general situation. Personally aOK.
Old 04-28-21, 02:34 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Waterproof socks have a real technical fault, the big hole in the top where your foot goes in. Unless you wear rainpants that come down over the top of 'em they will inevitably fill up with water. And really you can only wear rain paints when it's really cold, otherwise even the most breathable will see sweat filling your socks up instead of rain. Where they are useful is if your shoes are wet in camp, but then if it's cold you can't fit enough warm sock under them to keep your feet warm. Better off with a couple of quality plastic bags. takes up way less room in your panniers and your shoes and does the same job. My partner and I discussed making sock shaped plastic bags for bike tourers but figured that most would be too tight to cough up any bux for what are effectively reasonable shopping bags.
As for hands: Gore Windstopper or the equivalent Chinese knock offs from ebay, and then thin merino thermal gloves under if it's really cold. Neither waterproof, but the Windstopper really helps and the knock offs are only a few dollars on ebay.
I'm having a hard time trying to imagine a situation where rain socks are necessary but pants aren't.

For me it goes from up to down so first jacket, then pants if necessary and then socks if necessary. Cold legs will freeze toes quickly.
Old 04-28-21, 08:01 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I'm having a hard time trying to imagine a situation where rain socks are necessary but pants aren't.

For me it goes from up to down so first jacket, then pants if necessary and then socks if necessary. Cold legs will freeze toes quickly.
​​​​​ Anywhere warmish I suppose. Can be cold and wet on your feet and hot on your legs.
Kind of academic as they don't work without rain pants anyway, on account of the hole in the top.
Old 04-29-21, 07:43 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by Doug64
I bought a new bike off Craig's List, and wanted to try it out before I decided if I would to keep it, so I did not put fenders on it. My wife and I went on an over night ride, and we hit heavy rain on the way home.

My wife's bike has fenders and a good mud flap. This was from about 6 hours of riding on pavement. Our legs side-by-side.
Thanks for this side-by-side comparison. Made me re-install my front fender, as I expect several rainy days, many on dirt roads.
Old 05-05-21, 12:03 PM
gauvins

Originally Posted by djb
[... snip ...]do let us know how these socks work out, and the thin waterproof overmitts.
We've had a good downpour in cold (7c / 45F) weather today. 40 minutes commute. Socks are perfect (wet but warm). Gloves totally waterproof, although water coming down my sleeves was starting to wet the liners -- to my surprise, my jacket is not longer waterproof. I'll nikwax and ride longer during our next rainy day. Should be able to update shortly :/
Old 05-05-21, 12:09 PM
djb

Cool about the socks and the gloves.
Ya, jackets seem to always get less waterproof over time don't they?
I've been meaning to do some seamsealing on my rain jacket, as I think it's the seams, and not the material itself.