Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Computer (Wahoo Elemnt Roam)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike Computer (Wahoo Elemnt Roam)

Old 05-25-21, 02:53 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by RS5
I understand that comparison, however, Apple is great in terms of ease-of-use AND design. In my experience the Wahoo only stands out in the ease-of-use department. Which to me makes it really difficult to justify the extra cost of a Roam in comparison to the 530.

I was really surprised by how much more detailed and colourful the Garmin maps are in comparison to the Wahoo. Which makes navigating so much easier. I also had both units in my hand and comparing the actual units to each other, I also found the Garmin to be so much better looking. This is especially the case when it is mounted onto the bike. The Roam feels and looks a lot more bulky while the screen sizes are pretty much the same.
In all likelihood, either unit will get the job done, so yeah, calling the decision based on looks and lower price makes sense to me. I like the styling of the Roam myself, but its large size is the main reason I’ve not upgraded from Bolt. That, and the fact that I don’t really feel the need for TbT nav or the extra sidebar of indicator lights. I’m not what I’d consider a head unit “power user,” so a lot of features go unexplored and unused by me, which is another reason I weight ease of use as heavily as I do.
Old 05-25-21, 10:38 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Garmin has greatly improved over the years, but Wahoo is absolutely the leader in terms of ease-of-use and user experience quality. It’s very much a situation akin to the Apple vs. Windows paradigm.
This is a good comparison on both ends: functionality vs perceived ease of setup.
Old 05-25-21, 12:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

RS5 Problem solved: new Bolt with color screen and smart nav (incl. turn-by-turn) just dropped today:

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices...aunch_Standard
Old 05-25-21, 01:58 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I saw that...I would be kind of upset if I spent all that money upgrading to a Roam with that muted color screen.
Old 05-26-21, 12:05 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
For the Wahoo users who use Live Tracking, how reliable is it? Any problems with the recording terminating in the middle of the ride, or failing to record at all?
Old 05-26-21, 11:16 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Robert A
For the Wahoo users who use Live Tracking, how reliable is it? Any problems with the recording terminating in the middle of the ride, or failing to record at all?
is live tracking supposed to record where you’ve been? I thought it was just to show your current location?
Old 05-26-21, 11:19 AM
Robert A

is live tracking supposed to record where you’ve been? I thought it was just to show your current location?
It shows were you've been, where you are, and where you're headed (if there's a route). It also provides metrics such as speed, HR, etc. Mine is completely unreliable, and I have spent the past year working with Wahoo tech support who claims my case is isolated. I have replaced the head unit three times, the phone twice, and have checked all settings and parameters.
Old 05-26-21, 03:23 PM
Ti473

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Huh, I haven't noticed any problem pressing the Roam's buttons with gloves on...although admittedly I spent this winter in reasonably temperate climes so it was just glove liners I tried it with, haven't tried it with big bulky insulated sub-freezing winter gloves yet. I guess I can see how those buttons might not work with those type of gloves; does any cyclometer work with those type of gloves?

Y'know what I had noticed? The Wahoo Elemnt Out Front Mount is under $20; a K-Edge equivalent is close to $50!!! I got the Out Front. In fact, I got three of them. No flexing on any of them.
Well, say what you will, but Wahoo just revised the buttons on the new Bolt from concave to convex, so there must be a reason. They worked fine on the original Bolt actually with a decent clicky feel but on the Roam it seemed like I had to dig my fingernail into them to get them to register. And as for the mounts I don't have any experience with the out front, but I do have the stock aero one that comes with it and that's actually works ok, but other after market plastic mounts that I use are more flexy and exacerbate the problem. K-Edge is pricey I know but it's solid. I know, we're splitting hairs here.
Old 05-26-21, 03:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
It worked fine for me (well, for my wife, that is), but I gave her the perma-link. No experience with the one-time links.
Old 05-26-21, 07:06 PM
Robert A

Originally Posted by WhyFi
It worked fine for me (well, for my wife, that is), but I gave her the perma-link. No experience with the one-time links.
I use both links and it makes no difference. Out of 20 rides, maybe 15 will track. Sometimes all rides will track, sometimes three rides in a row will fail. Sometimes a ride will track and then quit mid-ride.

I've troubleshooted all settings with Wahoo support and have replaced hardware. If it's only happening to me, then there must be another app that's interfering with it.
Old 05-26-21, 08:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

It shows were you've been, where you are, and where you're headed (if there's a route). It also provides metrics such as speed, HR, etc. Mine is completely unreliable, and I have spent the past year working with Wahoo tech support who claims my case is isolated. I have replaced the head unit three times, the phone twice, and have checked all settings and parameters.
Ah, thanks! You prompted me to go look at the feature, and yeah, it’s a lot more than what I’d thought. I’ve sent the LiveTrack links to my wife before, bit she’s never used them, and I’ve not had any other occasion to try it, so I have no idea if it works properly.
Old 05-26-21, 08:50 PM
Robert A

Ah, thanks! You prompted me to go look at the feature, and yeah, it’s a lot more than what I’d thought. I’ve sent the LiveTrack links to my wife before, bit she’s never used them, and I’ve not had any other occasion to try it, so I have no idea if it works properly.
Copy that link over to your browser and bookmark it. Then after each ride, see if it correctly reports the ride. The last ride is always there, but anything previous is lost.
Likes For Robert A:
Old 05-27-21, 11:18 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
A couple of rides with the Roam (replacing a Bolt) and I'm pretty happy. The biggest positives so far:
  • The character sizes for data fields with the bigger screen is a plus for older eyes. This was the main reason I changed.
  • As expected it works exactly the same as the Bolt, so no learning curve setting it up or operating it.
I do have one beef (this would be true for the Bolt as well). The LED's are useless in direct sunlight & there appears to be nowhere in the setup app to turn brightness up or down. I don't get it, do Wahoo developers ever ride outside during the day? The side LED's would be a nice feature for those of us using power zones ( I don't mind hand entering iLevels) but are very limited by not being visible on 2/3 of my rides.
Old 05-27-21, 01:15 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
A couple of rides with the Roam (replacing a Bolt) and I'm pretty happy. The biggest positives so far:
  • The character sizes for data fields with the bigger screen is a plus for older eyes. This was the main reason I changed.
  • As expected it works exactly the same as the Bolt, so no learning curve setting it up or operating it.
I do have one beef (this would be true for the Bolt as well). The LED's are useless in direct sunlight & there appears to be nowhere in the setup app to turn brightness up or down. I don't get it, do Wahoo developers ever ride outside during the day? The side LED's would be a nice feature for those of us using power zones ( I don't mind hand entering iLevels) but are very limited by not being visible on 2/3 of my rides.
I agree about the LED's. I bought an old Elemnt and hooked up my Varia Radar to it. Can't see the LED's in the sun, and the beep is pitiful, too.
Old 05-31-21, 06:26 AM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was a many many years and versions Garmin user, I got tired of the touch screen and the difficulty getting my Garmin to download to Strava, through the connect app, so I went to a Bolt about a year ago. It's better for me than Garmin, I like not having the touch screen, it's got a great battery life, I like having my HR zone illuminated at the top of the unit. I don't use nav or live tracking so can't comment on those. There are a few negatives- some things I wish you could control from the unit instead of the app, such as turn on the backlight when it gets later in the evening, give me a warning and an option to go to battery save if I forgot to charge the unit and my battery is about to die. And why does it have to have a different mount than Garmin, with the little blue disk turned 90degrees. But overall I'm happy with it wouldn't go back.
Old 06-02-21, 06:30 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,209 Times in 1,102 Posts
I moved from using my phone to the Roam. On the phone I use Ride with GPS. The connection is still there with the Roam so all my rides are saved and I have the benefits of both. I don't need to take my phone with me but do for emergencies.
I picked the Roam because of my vision. the larger screen works better for me. I have both mounts the K and the stock. I don't have a preference.
The only big issue I have is the storage of maps. As they are enhanced, the files get bigger and I have to delete maps of nearby states. I don't understand the whole map database management Wahoo set up. Living in Northern Virginia, I would like maps of DC, MD installed but have memory storage shortage.

We need pics in this thread!
P1040509 on Flickr

For those of you who are C&V people, you can use the adapter from 26 to 32 to mount your mount on Cinelli 26.4 bars.
Old 06-02-21, 08:40 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I don't understand the whole map database management Wahoo set up. Living in Northern Virginia, I would like maps of DC, MD installed but have memory storage shortage.
Have you already deleted all the Asia and Australasia maps? I did that when I got the unit, and so far now it seems like I never run out of storage.
In the unlikely event I ever go cycling in Australia I figure I'll be with friends and they can navigate.
Old 06-02-21, 10:08 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

@Bob Ross - Deleted everything and added only Virginia and DC. Everything else is gone. It is like the memory won't reset and gets smaller.
Old 06-02-21, 10:11 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
I don't understand the whole map database management Wahoo set up. Living in Northern Virginia, I would like maps of DC, MD installed but have memory storage shortage.
Have you already deleted all the Asia and Australasia maps? I did that when I got the unit, and so far now it seems like I never run out of storage.
It appears he wants three regions (VA, MD, and DC). If he can't get MD installed, one would hope he would have tried to make room by deleting the states he doesn't need. That is, presumably, he's already tried removing the maps he doesn't need.

The Roam has 2 GB of memory (which is kind of thin). The California map is 240MB (it appears). So, there really should be enough room for the three regions he needs.

In the unlikely event I ever go cycling in Australia I figure I'll be with friends and they can navigate.
I wouldn't want to rely on other people's navigation. You could, of course, install the Australia maps temporarily for the trip.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-02-21 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-02-21, 10:17 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
The original maps were smaller. The later maps have routing info, which makes them bigger. The Roam has 2 GB, which is thin. So, the "map database management" isn't hard to understand.

The California map is 240MB (it appears). There should be enough room for the three regions (VA, MD, DC) you need. Presumably, you deleted all the maps (including those for other continents) you aren't using.

While there's less of a need for it now, for the Garmins, one can install free maps covering a custom region. Where this is still useful is getting more up-to-date maps.
Old 06-02-21, 12:51 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by oujeep1
And why does it have to have a different mount than Garmin, with the little blue disk turned 90degrees.
Annoying but the adapter will do the trick, and you only need one so I can't get too bothered by the price.

I like my Bolt a ton more than my Edge 520, it is so much easier to use. I wish I'd gotten the original Elemnt though, sometimes the text for a turn is laughably tiny. I occasionally use my 520 on a different bike just for the heck of it, and it always reminds me of the stark difference in usability.
Old 06-03-21, 05:38 AM
SJX426 

Update on the map issue. I found that not all the maps had been deleted, consuming vast amounts of storage. Once they were all deleted, I have been able to start loading. Currently, I have most of the east coast states loaded without a problem.

The issue was the amount of time needed to delete all of the US maps. The system is in process of loading the North East maps now.