Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

New York City Greenway and Street Riding

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 10:27 PM
zoom26

Bikes: Dahon Speed P16 (Upgraded P8)/ 2014 Dahon Vybe c7a / 2015 Trek 7.2fx / 26" Schwinn Ranger

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was riding around 7pm the other night, and it was already dark here. I just don't understand why there are a lot of people in the path with no lights, helmets and bells. I was so pissed when i saw this guy with no lights,no bell, no helmet, and not looking at the road because he was texting. Then when i was in the streets already, an SUV kept on honking at me when I was in a "dedicated" bike lane. He occupied the bike lane and still kept on honking at me, it was a dedicated bike lane not a shared bike lane! So i pointed out to him and he just cursed me out in spanish. Even with these concerns, i think riding in the city is still fun just have to be extra cautious. Ride safe fellow riders!
Old 10-23-15, 03:37 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is NYC. I saw three guys @ 7PM take the lane on Lexington with no lights and riding like there is no care in the world with phones and no hands on handlebars. That said - traffic on Lexington is so slow, no one can really move fast anyway. They'll learn when someday a cab stops short and their heads goes through the rear window.

Until the police get serious about the bike lane people will use it as they please. If corrected the typical NY response is to curse you out. I would lower my expectations related to common courtesy when traveling about in NYC. Also, under DiBlasio I see more homeless, mentally ill on the streets. Plus, a small uptick in petty crimes. Safer under Bloomberg.
Old 10-23-15, 07:34 AM
zoom26

Bikes: Dahon Speed P16 (Upgraded P8)/ 2014 Dahon Vybe c7a / 2015 Trek 7.2fx / 26" Schwinn Ranger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Essex
That is NYC. I saw three guys @ 7PM take the lane on Lexington with no lights and riding like there is no care in the world with phones and no hands on handlebars. That said - traffic on Lexington is so slow, no one can really move fast anyway. They'll learn when someday a cab stops short and their heads goes through the rear window.

Until the police get serious about the bike lane people will use it as they please. If corrected the typical NY response is to curse you out. I would lower my expectations related to common courtesy when traveling about in NYC. Also, under DiBlasio I see more homeless, mentally ill on the streets. Plus, a small uptick in petty crimes. Safer under Bloomberg.
I think us cyclists should be more responsible as well, not just for our safety but for others sharing the road as well. I still think the motorists in the city are a little bit more aware of the bicycles than in lets say, westchester. I've seen about two people living in the paths or at least spending the night in them in my two rides, though they don't bother me i don't think it's too safe for themselves. And for my 14mi stretch i think it was still good to see at least one cop at about midnight time. I'm really loving the paths and how well the pavement is smoothened out, though some areas are lacking some lighting or at least the hudson highway. Just curious, how are the paths during winter time. do they get salted out or just gonna be iced out and almost unrideable ?
Old 10-23-15, 09:31 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Why should anyone care if someone else does or doesn't wear a helmet?
Old 10-23-15, 10:06 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Why should anyone care if someone else does or doesn't wear a helmet?
Because someone might be a PO'ed sanctimonious know nothing/know-it-all.
Old 10-23-15, 10:33 AM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I use bright lights and a nice loud bell, never ride very fast. I have never worn a helmet on any road, let alone the Greenway, which is the safest place I've ridden.

Many on the Greenway who do wear helmets wear them in such a way as if it's a baseball cap; it seems it just serves as a reassurance to themselves that they did wear helmets and so they feel safer. Some hang their helmets on the handlebars, and use them to carry water bottles.

If he was using no lights in the dark while sharing the road with vehicles, he probably needs both a full face helmet and an armor.
Old 10-23-15, 11:54 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zoom26
Was riding around 7pm the other night, and it was already dark here. I just don't understand why there are a lot of people in the path with no lights, helmets and bells. I was so pissed when i saw this guy with no lights,no bell, no helmet, and not looking at the road because he was texting. Then when i was in the streets already, an SUV kept on honking at me when I was in a "dedicated" bike lane. He occupied the bike lane and still kept on honking at me, it was a dedicated bike lane not a shared bike lane! So i pointed out to him and he just cursed me out in Spanish. Even with these concerns, i think riding in the city is still fun just have to be extra cautious. Ride safe fellow riders!
The bike rider you encountered was certainly taking a lot of risks for nighttime riding. To say nothing of street lights not illuminating every bad spot in the road.
Old 10-23-15, 01:42 PM
zoom26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
I use bright lights and a nice loud bell, never ride very fast. I have never worn a helmet on any road, let alone the Greenway, which is the safest place I've ridden.

Many on the Greenway who do wear helmets wear them in such a way as if it's a baseball cap; it seems it just serves as a reassurance to themselves that they did wear helmets and so they feel safer. Some hang their helmets on the handlebars, and use them to carry water bottles.

If he was using no lights in the dark while sharing the road with vehicles, he probably needs both a full face helmet and an armor.
It was in the fairly lit part of the path, but still though lol I think i am one of those people who have that sense of security of having a helmet on the armor and the full face helmet comment just made my day haha
Old 10-23-15, 01:44 PM
zoom26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Because someone might be a PO'ed sanctimonious know nothing/know-it-all.
What is PO'ed? I mean it is the safety and advocacy thread anyway right? lol I think it's the same feeling also when you see someone without their seatbelts on
Old 10-23-15, 01:56 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is PO'ed? I mean it is the safety and advocacy thread anyway right? lol I think it's the same feeling also when you see someone without their seatbelts on
Huh?
Who cares if someone else does not wear a seatbelt? If it is not a friend or family member I could care less.
Just because it is the S&A forum it does not grant people special rights and privileges to be sanctimonious zealots. Have you checked out some of the video camera threads lately? There is a large group of A&S riders that apparently won't ride to the end of their driveway without a camera running for potential evidence use down the road.
Old 10-23-15, 02:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Huh?
Who cares if someone else does not wear a seatbelt?
PO'ed sanctimonious know nothing/know-it-alls.
Old 10-23-15, 02:34 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Essex

I've been to NY several times and that's one place I would never ride a bike let alone a bike at night. Like you said bottom line is there is no "dedicated" bike lane because everyone uses it and the police will never enforce it. The drivers are more concerned with getting from A-B then being courteous or even your life for that matter. I won't even mention the cab drivers they are a whole other problem in itself..

Old 10-23-15, 03:11 PM
vol

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT
Typical comment posted there under the video.
Old 10-23-15, 05:16 PM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious, how are the paths during winter time. do they get salted out or just gonna be iced out and almost unrideable ?
I would like to think motorists in NYC are more aware - but when I came upon the scene of a cyclist going head-first through the rear window of a cab it changed the way I ride. I cannot imagine how the cyclist survived that incident.

I don't ride in Bestchester (Scarsdale mostly) because some knucklehead in their Mercedes, Land Rover, or Lexus would give a whit whether I were there or not. And since most of them work in NYC - they have the same mentality of not sharing the road equally. Entitled is the term I would use.

As per winter riding - fenders + knobby tires. In Jan, Feb and March - I use the Kurt Kinetics and watch a video while riding. It's just to darn cold.
Old 10-23-15, 05:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
.... I was so pissed when i saw this guy with no lights,no bell, no helmet, and not looking at the road because he was texting. .....
Why is this your problem. I might understand the light issue if you felt you were at risk of hitting him in the dark, but otherwise what he does isn't for you to get involved in or with.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.