Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1988 Peugeot Triathlon

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1988 Peugeot Triathlon

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 05:47 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
1988 Peugeot Triathlon

I just finished up cleaning up a 1988 Peugeot Triathlon I found about 70 miles from me. My son fell in love with a PGN10 I had a while back and has had been wanting a Pug every since. He found an Iseran locally and we purchased it, but it's really a budget bike with some issues. So, I just kept my eyes open and this one popped up. The guy I bought it from says he got it free for helping a lady clean up her garage. According to him, it hung upside down by the rafters for over 25 years without being used. Based on it's condition, I cannot refute the story. I have the original toe straps, I have yet to clean them up, that's all. Everything else is original except for the tires/tubes, and the brake shoes, which I replaced out of caution. It's a full 105 bike ( I think), even to include the pedals.

https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broch...20Page%208.jpg

Here are some pics:

Last edited by UKFan4Sure; 05-13-21 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-13-21, 07:08 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,937 Times in 1,763 Posts
Pretty sweet! I have a soft spot for that era Peugeot. Had one I rode all over Germany in the mid 80's, nothing but good time associated with that bike.
Old 05-13-21, 08:10 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Fantastic, that is a beautiful bike in amazing condition! Those Peugeot Triathlons are great bikes. I agree with jamesdak, that era of Peugeots are special, partly because (for me at least) they often come with Shimano drivetrains, rather than Simplex.
Old 05-13-21, 08:54 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I was just wondering how did they use that 105 rd on the Simplex dropout. Did they have special derailleurs with a different b-tension clip?
Old 05-13-21, 08:56 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Fantastic, that is a beautiful bike in amazing condition! Those Peugeot Triathlons are great bikes. I agree with jamesdak, that era of Peugeots are special, partly because (for me at least) they often come with Shimano drivetrains, rather than Simplex.
That's what I told my son. The older ones that were a mix of Maillard and Simplex are harder to deal with. Especially with the Helicomatic hub.
Old 05-13-21, 10:09 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
That's what I told my son. The older ones that were a mix of Maillard and Simplex are harder to deal with. Especially with the Helicomatic hub.
The hub and wheel can at least be replaced. The big issue is the Huret rear derailleur hanger, which has the B-screw notch at the wrong angle. The other weirdness to avoid is the grub screw seatpost clamp.
Old 05-13-21, 12:04 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I was just wondering how did they use that 105 rd on the Simplex dropout. Did they have special derailleurs with a different b-tension clip?
By the mid-late 80s, Peugeot came to their senses and Shimano was stock (at least in the US market). See attached:
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 05-13-21, 12:32 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The hub and wheel can at least be replaced. The big issue is the Huret rear derailleur hanger, which has the B-screw notch at the wrong angle. The other weirdness to avoid is the grub screw seatpost clamp.
I don't think the Triathlons ever had Huret derailleur hangers. Most likely, they had Simplex rear dropouts with standard ISO hangers. Simplex dropouts were pretty much the standard dropouts used by most of their mid to high level model bikes in the 80's. With Campagnolo rear dropouts for some of their top line models.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)