Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring Buffalo NY to Western NH…

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-02-21, 09:14 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts

I’m trying to plan a route from Buffalo to NH. I know we’re doing the Erie Canal trail, but I’m stumped on what to do from NY to NH. I live on the border with Mass, so is it better to go through VT or MA?

oh, and I’m doing this with my (then) 11yo kiddo. Any suggestions?
Old 07-03-21, 06:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,263 Times in 7,221 Posts
NH is vague. Where in NH?
Old 07-03-21, 02:38 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
When you get to Cohoes then take the Alternate route of the Empire trail that goes to Lake Champlain. There when you reach close to Port Henry bear right towards Crown Point and cross the Champlain Bridge. That gets You to Vermont. The next route to cross to New Hampshire will greatly depend on where in New Hampshire You want to arrive
Old 07-03-21, 02:48 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Outside of Rt 4, which I would not take, one big question is do you like big hills ?, as you will be crossing the spine of the Green Mountains, so begs the question, which mt. pass ?. We recommended on this forum once, a good route is Rts 140-103 west to east, from Wallingford over to Ludlow, as one of the easiest routes to the east side of Vermont. Unanswered and a big If is where in NH ?.

How you get to Wallingford from Albany and where you go from Ludlow is your call. About every road in eastern NY and in Vermont is appropriate for cycling, theres really no "best" route, they are all good, on good roads.
Old 07-03-21, 04:51 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
You could follow Pedaling Walrus' route, but continue up to Burlington. There you can pick up the Cross Vermont Trail. It is a rail trail, meaning shallow grades in general, that runs across, roughly paralleling Route 2 and/or 302. It ends up in Waits River, on the banks of the Connecticut. Woodsville, NH lies just across a very rideable little bridge. In Woodsville, if the idea appeals, you can access the Cross New Hampshire Adventure Trail (XNHAT) which runs across the state just North of the White mountains, to Bethel Maine. Each of the cross state routes has a website with maps, cue sheets, updates, pictures, etc. Since they are on old RR rights of way, they are very flat, with occasional hilly road sections.
Old 07-03-21, 05:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,263 Times in 7,221 Posts
Uh…This is a cross post. He wants to end up in southern NH.

https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast.../#post22124714
Old 07-04-21, 03:51 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Well,for Southern NH, when you hit the Connecticut River, head South on 5 (Vermont side) or 10 (New Hampshire side). Relatively flat, and lots of services.