Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mavic 610 Chamfering Tool

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-11, 03:13 PM
Jdmjunkie

Bikes: 1970's Olmo Competion HF Ultegra/600 with Spinergy Wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone I just wanted to let everyone in the Sacramento area know that I have the chamfering tool. If anyone needs to install a Mavic 610/616 BB let me know. I figure there are not to many of these around and I'm not one to hoard something so help the community out. This will also work well for SS/Fix because the chainline is very adjustable on the BB's

Last edited by Jdmjunkie; 11-25-11 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-14-13, 02:37 PM
flowboard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you know which direction the Mavic bottom bracket lock rings spin?
Are they both clock wise or anti-clockwise?
Old 01-14-13, 02:45 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by flowboard
Uhmmm,...... I don't think it makes any difference in this case, at least installation-wise....
Inside chamfered faces on lock rings do not screw into the BB shell, just provides a squeezing/friction pressure to retain the BB cartridge on the bike.

Chombi
Old 01-14-13, 03:04 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
Uhmmm,...... I don't think it makes any difference in this case, at least installation-wise....
Inside chamfered faces on lock rings do not screw into the BB shell, just provides a squeezing/friction pressure to retain the BB cartridge on the bike.

Chombi
Unless you're trying to get one off a bike, rather than on? Both lock rings thread on clockwise, thread off counter-.

Or at least they do on the 610 in my parts box in the corner...
Old 01-14-13, 03:25 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Originally Posted by mikemowbz
Unless you're trying to get one off a bike, rather than on? Both lock rings thread on clockwise, thread off counter-.

Or at least they do on the 610 in my parts box in the corner...
If that's the case, I would think that you can at least see a little bit of threading on the ends of the cartridge body with the BB installed....
Old 01-14-13, 03:40 PM
mikemowbz

Originally Posted by Chombi
If that's the case, I would think that you can at least see a little bit of threading on the ends of the cartridge body with the BB installed....
Maybe so, just speculating as to why one might ask that question. This was my best guess!

In any case, kudos to Jdmjunkie for community-mindedness. I may be looking for access to one of these Mavic tools in future, but I might look around a bit in British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest before rolling down to San Diego.
Old 01-14-13, 04:09 PM
spacemanz

Bikes: Frejus/Bertin/Cannondale

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've heard those BBs mentioned briefly before, but have no experience with them. I'm curious about their weight, for replacing the old non-cartridge BBs on French bikes. (?) And I guess I'm curious about their reliability & performance too.
Old 01-14-13, 04:31 PM
mikemowbz

Originally Posted by spacemanz
I've heard those BBs mentioned briefly before, but have no experience with them. I'm curious about their weight, for replacing the old non-cartridge BBs on French bikes. (?) And I guess I'm curious about their reliability & performance too.
317g, according to Velobase.

I can't speak to reliability and performance firsthand, as I've never used one. I have an NOS one in the parts box as insurance policy against stripped threads in one of my favorite rides, or as an opportunity to make a project out of anything nice that happens to come my way with that problem.
Old 01-14-13, 04:36 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
According to '90/91ish propaganda the double 114 spindle is 300grams, longer spondle are of course heavier by about 5 grams per 4mm of spindle.

I never used one but worked and rode with some guys who did and they loved them. Onc installed correctly they worked great, were easily adjustble and if you had to you could replace the bearings without removing it from the BB shell.

Jdm seems to be absent for some time but if anyone needs to use it I have one of these.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-14-13, 04:44 PM
Chombi

If Mavic sealed bearing hubs are anything to base any theories how well these BBs last and perform, then they should be great, as their hub's are pretty much legendary for their "glass" smoothness and bullet-proof reliability.
I think that the reason their BBs aren't as popular as we would think they should be is because of the requirement to have your BB shell chamfered with the mentioned tool as that is not a reversible modification, although I suspect that there will not be any problem treading in conventional cups on to the BB shell after you do it if you want to revert back to convert back to a conventional BB, as long as the threads are chased/cleaned up after the chamfering

Chombi
Old 01-14-13, 05:02 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
My '89 waterford paramount had the mavic BB, it worked great over the years I owned the bike. Removal was easy when I switched to a compact crank; it was then I discovered my BB shell was italian threaded, yet 68mm wide. After chasing the threads, phil wood italian cups went in fine. When I sold the bike I re-installed the mavic BB no problem, as far as I know it is still performing fine. So I think the chamfering modification does not prevent installing a conventional BB (assuming the threads are good), if you want to switch back.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 01-14-13, 05:28 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Jesus christ man, how many old threads did you bump?

Here:
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/...0URDManual.pdf

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 01-14-13, 05:59 PM
mikemowbz

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Jdm seems to be absent for some time but if anyone needs to use it I have one of these.
Good point. I didn't notice the zombified nature of the thread. Regardless, I'm appreciating the feedback from others on these Mavic BBs. As I said, I bought one for 'insurance' purposes (it was a decent deal, and a cool piece of technology), and am glad to hear some suggestion that they're good equipment above and beyond their more unique features.
Old 01-14-13, 08:28 PM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just eyeballing the chamfer, it looks to be 45 degrees, which is the same as the Schlumpf drive; and looking around the internets, it looks like this might be something that a Schlumpf dealer might be able to do.