Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Martha's Vineyard

Old 06-26-12, 06:31 PM
IP Freely

Bikes: 2011 Felt F5, 2013 Kona Jake (stolen)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Martha's Vineyard

Will be up in MV for a long weekend at the end of July and I'm looking to bring the bike. I know the island is pretty desolate generally, but does anyone have any good rides to share? I'll be staying in Edgartown.
Old 06-26-12, 07:07 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IP Freely
Will be up in MV for a long weekend at the end of July and I'm looking to bring the bike. I know the island is pretty desolate generally, but does anyone have any good rides to share? I'll be staying in Edgartown.
I hate to be the one to break this news to you, but the Vineyard is anything but desolate in July. The roads are narrow, have sandy shoulders, and you have drivers from all over the US and Canada. Be careful. And lots of day-trippers rent mopeds, which adds to the road congestion and the cycling hazards.That being said, bring the bike. There's a bike path that runs pretty much all over the eastern half of the Island, which is where Edgartown is (locals call it "Down-Island"). You also can take the Chappy ferry to Chappaquiddick. Edgartown also has parts of the downtown where bikes are prohibited, so follow the bike route signs.

From Edgartown, if you care to brave the roads, you can head west towards West Tisbury along South Road, and continue on to Chilmark and Gay Head, which now goes by its Wampanoag name of Aquinnah. Stop at the lighthouse and walk to the overlook over the clay cliffs. The western part of the island has rolling hills. On the return, head north on Old County Road is West Tisbury, which is one of the less-travelled roads in the summer, and return to Vineyard Haven along State Road. Head back to Edgartown along the shores of Vineyard Haven and Oak Bluffs. Take a little side trip by East Chop.

The eastern half of the Vineyard is pretty flat. Signage is pretty good, too. If you stay on the main roads, it's hard to get lost. Just ride carefully because July and August are what we call silly season on the Cape and Islands. Watch for sand. It sends a lot of moped riders to the local hospital every summer.

There are a couple of LBS on the Vineyard, too. Stop in. They probably have some maps they can mark off if you want to ride off the main roads.
Old 06-26-12, 07:36 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
There are a lot of well maintained bike paths. They sort of go around the island. And through the woods. In the nice weather the bike paths and the roads are packed. Be patient on the bike paths.
Google " Martha's Vineyard bike map". Then just google or use links to learn about anything.
Last time I was there they were giving them out at tourist/bathroom building at the far side of the parking lot when you get off the boat. There are lots of things like that. The road on Chappaquidick turns to soft sand,after a while, almost not passable on a road bike. Plenty of sliding around on an MTB. At the end of the road there is the bridge Kennedy drove off of. There is a big beach with 4wd truck tours. You can walk your bike on the sandy areas of that road.

Ask about the "Campground". Lots of gingerbread small cottages. Not a campground any more. Plenty of info on the island. You can ride to everywhere from Edgartown.
Old 06-27-12, 04:36 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
get the Rubels bike map for the cape & islands
Old 06-27-12, 10:44 AM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, re Sand. I went on a church field trip to MV when I was a teen. I had my Ross 10-spd and flew over the handlebars when i drifted off the road and into some deep sand. Survived with only a gashed knee! :-)

Rubel's isn't printed or made anymore so might be hard to find a map of those except for overstock...

Check out Mad Martha's for ice cream!

Jay
Old 06-27-12, 11:43 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
The ride out to gay head is worth it, but it'll be a zoo of frustrated cars, mopeds and glacial fellow cyclists. Go early in the morning. I was out there a couple summers ago and the best riding I could find was doing hill repeats on middle road. I'm not sure if they'll let you into lucy vincent on a bike, but if they do, jump on it, it's an amazing beach.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Likes For IthaDan:
Old 06-27-12, 12:45 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by Jay H
Yup, re Sand. I went on a church field trip to MV when I was a teen. I had my Ross 10-spd and flew over the handlebars when i drifted off the road and into some deep sand. Survived with only a gashed knee! :-)

Rubel's isn't printed or made anymore so might be hard to find a map of those except for overstock...

Check out Mad Martha's for ice cream!

Jay
I rode the sand road on Chappaquidick on 27x 1 1/8 smooth tires once. Everyone else had MTB's. I only fell once, but had a hundred slide outs of the front tire that almost made me stop. It was exhausting. Whew.

downloadable bike path map...

https://www.marthasvineyardbike.com/m...bike-paths.php
Old 06-27-12, 03:31 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Don't let any of the negative comments turn you away. If you're going to the Vineyard to ride, my guess is that you're not looking to burn rubber or train for the TDF. For a nice, casual ride, just use the bike path and a few quiet side streets between Oak Bluffs and Edgartown, as described on the MV page of my website (https://nyrides.freehosting.net/marthas.htm). 2021 Update: This website no longer exists. PM me for more info)

My wife (a very laid-back rider) and I took our bikes on the ferry from Hyannis (Cape Cod) to Oak Bluffs, rode a short distance through the downtown area and a cool Victorian-looking village, then got on a six-mile, totally flat bike path that took us all the way into Edgartown via several public beaches along the coastline.

Of course, there are some tricky turns to look out for when you get to Edgartown; particularly one spot where EVERYBODY seems to turn right instead of going straight. If you get lost, ask somebody where the Edgartown lighthouse is.

While you're here, there are some good outdoor seafood places (vegetarian-friendly, too) to grab a meal. Also, a very short (but pricey) ferry will take you from Edgartown to Chappaquiddick.
Be sure to leave time to visit downtown Oak Bluffs and the waterside restaurants and bars before you return to the ferry!

Last edited by Papa Tom; 07-25-21 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Update
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 06-27-12, 06:23 PM
Lightingguy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto Tom's suggestions.

MV is probably best visited on a bike. Certainly cheaper and easier then bringing a car.

Also not to miss is the Methodist Camp meeting hall in Oak Bluff's and all the beautiful ginger bread cottages that make up the neighborhood.
Old 06-28-12, 12:37 PM
yak
Zircon Encrusted Tweezer

Bikes: Pivot Switchblade, SantaCruz Tallboy, SantaCruz Solo, Specialized Fatboy, Trek ProjectOne Madone, Fuji Altamira CX 1.1, Lemond Zurich

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget to try a few flavors from a rack or two of sample beers at the Newes from America Pub.
Old 06-29-12, 10:02 AM
gearheadgeek

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love the Newes!
Old 07-09-12, 08:12 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I rode the sand road on Chappaquidick on 27x 1 1/8 smooth tires once. Everyone else had MTB's. I only fell once, but had a hundred slide outs of the front tire that almost made me stop. It was exhausting. Whew.

You did better than Ted Kennedy!'
Old 07-10-12, 09:32 AM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by oddjob2
You did better than Ted Kennedy!'
Old 07-10-12, 10:08 AM
40 Cent
fixed for the long haul

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Professional, 1990 Cannondale 3.0 Touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking on Martha's vineyard is great. The whole family left the car on the mainland and ventured all over MV a couple years ago (it's such a bikeable place, I spent a bit too much of my vacation puzzling and fuming about why people thought it necessary to haul all of their modern conveniences there in their enormous SUVs). I calmed down once I got on some of the shady bike paths away from traffic.

If you just want some short rides, the bike paths offer lots of pretty off-road (but nicely paved) adventures. If you want a bit more mileage, Gay Head or Menemsha are worth it. From West Tisbury (where there's a great general store for mid-ride snacks and drinks), I suggest Middle Road, as it's less traveled. I would guess Edgartown to Gay Head is about 45 miles round trip, and Menemsha about 6 or 7 miles fewer. The Bite clam shack in Menemsha is a tasty destination. We came back by way of South Road, which has more traffic -- people pulling boat trailers -- and I wouldn't recommend it.

Even with the crowds, you'll find some great peaceful rides without much trouble, and in my experience the bike paths away from Edgartown and Oak Bluffs (i.e., the western part of the island) are not only not packed, they're little traveled.
Old 07-10-12, 02:22 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One thing I forgot to mention---when you're heading for Gay Head, just before or after the town line (it's been a few years), there's a wonderful natural spring with clear, cold water. Make sure you bring an empty water bottle with you. People come from all over the Island to fill gallon jugs there.

I'd take a left onto Moshup Trail just after the spring, and ride that road to the cliffs. Lot less heavily traveled.

I don't think it's quite 45 miles R/T from Edgartown to Gay Head, unless you extend the ride into Lobsterville. Probably around 36-38 miles.

I'm trying to remember how far out towards West Tisbury and Chilmark the south bike path goes. There are some things along South Road that are worth seeing---Alley's General Store in W. Tisbury, the "field of dancing statutes", vistas from the road towards Tisbury Great Pond and the ocean, the famous Chilmark cemetary with some celebrity graves (including John Belushi's), the Chilmark Store, the scenic overlook at the back of Menemsha Pond (on the only hill worth mentioning, and then more for inexperienced riders to worry about). I think if you head out early enough in the AM, you can beat a lot of traffic on the roads. People are on vacation and tend to sleep in, and the first day-trippers won't be arriving until mid-morning.
Likes For mprelaw:
Old 07-12-12, 08:59 PM
IP Freely

Bikes: 2011 Felt F5, 2013 Kona Jake (stolen)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old 07-25-12, 12:32 PM
AJC

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the bike paths only access a small portion of the island...for the ride out to Aquinnah (Gay Head is so 80's) be careful...narrow road, NY drivers, sand....not worth it if you're looking for a relaxing ride. the ride to south beach and Katama is very nice, and much safer.

Enjoy!!