Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Walking up hills

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 11:01 AM
RenzSouljohnson
No Excuses

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ianjk
https://gmap-pedometer.com/

+

https://veloroutes.org/tools/

My pita hill is 8-10% for about a half mile.

all it is is a little bit of practice. Take on hills that are a bit less grade and longer. Your legs will get the stamina soon enough.

There's a hill I have to go up just go get out of my suburban "community" and that guy is about 10% Grade according to this map and calculator.
it's only .3 miles but theres a .4 mile 6% hill right after so it's not all that fun just to get out. I do it very often though for strength training and just because I want to get to the grocery store!

There's also a pretty formidable climb to go deeper into my suburbs to get to this very empty and underused park. Real peaceful though. That climb is about .6 miles with that one 8.5% hill right before I get to the park.

I ride 46/16 which is perfect for me when I want to spin down, or for grinding up a fatty hill

The place I live in is unfortunately about 40% hills, most being steep but not very long, thankfully. Takes practice, guy but you can do it.
Old 07-21-11, 11:02 AM
paktinat

Bikes: a few crappy ones.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
33% grade, for reference:
Old 07-21-11, 11:13 AM
EssEllSee
Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch.
Old 07-21-11, 11:22 AM
RenzSouljohnson
No Excuses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
O_O

15% is the highest Ive ever tried to go up. I ended up having to stop half way because I was about to fall off sideways from going too slowly lol
Old 07-21-11, 11:22 AM
EssEllSee
Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boxerboxer
I'll be impressed when those guys make videos mashing uphill. Bombing downhill? "Hey, check it out, I too am affected by gravity."
Regardless of how stupid it is and how reckless they are, I still think it takes some talent to spin at some of those speeds.
Old 07-21-11, 11:28 AM
redpear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EssEllSee
Regardless of how stupid it is and how reckless they are, I still think it takes some talent to spin at some of those speeds.
And slow down, too. I hate intersections that are right at the bottom of a hill.
Old 07-21-11, 11:32 AM
EssEllSee
Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redpear
And slow down, too. I hate intersections that are right at the bottom of a hill.
There are a few in Utah, and it's not fun to be bombing and halfway down have the light turn red on you.

I can't imagine those Macaframa guys ride like that when they aren't being filmed, and if they are, they must go through tires every week at the rate they skid.
Old 07-21-11, 11:35 AM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not really, with a gear inches of around 85 or more, it only takes like 100 rpm to go down a hill at 40kph to look cool for the camera. On the other hand, with a gear inches in the low 70s, high 60s neighbourhood, it'sharder to spin to 40kph down a hill. The latter is much more impressive, in my worthless opinion.

Last edited by Squirrelli; 07-21-11 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-21-11, 11:39 AM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i did 20% once for 100feet on 44x17
walking would probably have been faster

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 07-21-11, 11:47 AM
EssEllSee
Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdgesus
i did 20% once for 100feet on 44x17
walking would probably have been faster
Old 07-21-11, 11:48 AM
EssEllSee
Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squirrelli
Not really, with a gear inches of around 85 or more, it only takes like 100 rpm to go down a hill at 40kph to look cool for the camera. On the other hand, with a gear inches in the low 70s, high 60s neighbourhood, it'sharder to spin to 40kph down a hill. The latter is much more impressive, in my worthless opinion.
This is true, however I always assumed they were in the 70's. For some reason I guess they could just gear up, but in a lot of films I see them spinning at what seems like much higher than 100RPM.
Old 07-21-11, 11:52 AM
boxerboxer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haha, yeah, take that for what it was, a shoot-from-the-hip soundbyte. There is definitely much skill involved and I enjoy a hill-bombing vid myself from time to time.
Old 07-21-11, 11:54 AM
boxerboxer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To the OP, the lower gearing is good advice. Once you've done that, the answer to your question is this: would you rather be the guy who walks all the way up the hill without even trying it, or the guy who gives his best effort and only starts walking when there's no other way?
Old 07-21-11, 11:59 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Those are camera tricks. A wide-angle lens and having the subject up close makes everything look faster. Look at fight scenes in movies. Same technique.

Also, there is a difference between you moving the pedals at 100+ RPM and going down a hill and the pedals moving you at 100+ RPM.
Old 07-21-11, 12:00 PM
Cyclomania

Bikes: American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's this road in Portland where I live, Corbett road, and it's SF steep. One really has no choice but walk. Hey, it's faster than walking. And what's great is that there is this other street that takes forever to climb (Barbur Blvd) and it takes you to the same elevation as Corbett. But, what's really amazing, you don't have to spend so much time walking up Corbett as you do riding up Barbur! It's like having an elevator to the hills. Funny thing is, I rarely see cyclist's walking up this street! So, I feel like I'm keen on a secret that no one knows about.

I also like walking my bike in town. Like walking my girlfriend. Better than my girlfriend (huh!), miss bicycle never talks back!

Never feel down for walking your bike. Most folks could care less. Besides, many people have pity on you, thinking that you got a flat or your derailleur failed.

This looks a lot like Corbett:

Last edited by Cyclomania; 07-21-11 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-21-11, 12:16 PM
EssEllSee
Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Those are camera tricks. A wide-angle lens and having the subject up close makes everything look faster. Look at fight scenes in movies. Same technique.

Also, there is a difference between you moving the pedals at 100+ RPM and going down a hill and the pedals moving you at 100+ RPM.
This is true. I assume they aren't spinning out thought because they are still strapped in.

Originally Posted by Cyclomania
There's this road in Portland where I live, Corbett road, and it's SF steep. One really has no choice but walk. Hey, it's faster than walking. And what's great is that there is this other street that takes forever to climb (Barbur Blvd) and it takes you to the same elevation as Corbett. But, what's really amazing, you don't have to spend so much time walking up Corbett as you do riding up Barbur! It's like having an elevator to the hills. Funny thing is, I rarely see cyclist's walking up this street! So, I feel like I'm keen on a secret that no one knows about.

I also like walking my bike in town. Like walking my girlfriend. Better than my girlfriend (huh!), miss bicycle never talks back!

Never feel down for walking your bike. Most folks could care less. Besides, many people have pity on you, thinking that you got a flat or your derailleur failed.

This looks a lot like Corbett:
Its what I think though! It's me feeling defeated that is the worst.
Old 07-21-11, 12:23 PM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by catonec
they make bicycles with multiple gears so you dont have to walk uphill or force through anything.
That's why I don't see the attraction of singlespeed or fixed gear unless you live in a comparatively flat area. If you live somewhere with significant hills, then gears are a must. If I wanted to be walking up hills, I'd take up hiking rather than cycling.
Old 07-21-11, 12:24 PM
EssEllSee
Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elkhound
That's why I don't see the attraction of singlespeed or fixed gear unless you live in a comparatively flat area. If you live somewhere with significant hills, then gears are a must. If I wanted to be walking up hills, I'd take up hiking rather than cycling.
Agreed, aside from street cred, I see no reason for riding a fixed gear in a place like SF. I would go geared (and I love fixed more than anything).
Old 07-21-11, 12:30 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Elkhound
+1

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Also, if you are gonna ride fixed, don't complain about the hills...this is like complaining about bringing a knife to a gunfight.
Old 07-21-11, 12:31 PM
puppypilgrim

Bikes: Brodie Force w/ Xtracycle, Dahon Helios, Merida Folding, Pacific Carryme, Softride Classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no shame in walking. Even a flip flop hub has three speeds. Left side, right side and two feet = 3 speeds. When you choose to ride a singlespeed or fixed gear, you voluntarily selected a form of cycle limitation for the reward of the experience such limitations provide.

Any hill that is steep enough can make the best of us walk our fixed gears.

The chief error among newbies is gearing too high for an aggressive look (ie fashionista fixie).

The better option is to gear in mid to high 60s and learn to spin. Not only is it better for your cardiovascular health, its better for your knees and prevents joint issues. Lower gear ratios also make it easier to slow yourself down by resisting the turn of the cranks. Once you pay homage, we might even initiate you into the cult by sharing the secret wisdom of obtaining better skid patches so you can skidz (whatever that means, I ride with two brakes).

"There is no failure, only feedback." - Art De Vany

As you get stronger, your needs will change. As your skill improves, so will your gear ratios. Learn and adjust accordingly.

At your present weight, I suggest lowering your gear ratio before you blow your knee out. Remember, spinning burns fat and generates less lactic acid in the muscles than mashing thereby reducing recovery times.

Last edited by puppypilgrim; 07-21-11 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-21-11, 12:32 PM
RenzSouljohnson
No Excuses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Qft @ Carleton
Old 07-21-11, 12:33 PM
jessesv
u________u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

Also, if you are gonna ride fixed, don't complain about the hills...this is like complaining about bringing a knife to a gunfight.

+100
Old 07-21-11, 12:35 PM
hwdxbassist

Bikes: Affinity Lo Pro-madison(RIP)-specialzed bmx-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

I feel the same way. I ride fixed and I love hills. Specially mashing up hills. One day I'll record it.

and hills on a ss or fixed are super fun. you have way more direct power that you can apply to power up hills.
Old 07-21-11, 01:12 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hwdxbassist
I feel the same way. I ride fixed and I love hills. Specially mashing up hills. One day I'll record it.

and hills on a ss or fixed are super fun. you have way more direct power that you can apply to power up hills.
Your "way more" is a percent or two.
Old 07-21-11, 01:55 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ianjk
Your "way more" is a percent or two.
Is there even a percent or two difference between SS and roadie? I guess maybe between fixed and roadie.

But it's also likely that the fixed has loose toe clips that you can't even pull up with, whereas the roadie will have clipless pedals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.