Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava- anybody else find it creepy/intrusive?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strava- anybody else find it creepy/intrusive?

Old 06-02-21, 01:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
The advantage of social networks on the internet, for us low social needs introverts, is that it saves us having to be social IRL.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-02-21, 02:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I wonder if they used to use flybys for friend suggestions?
I think they are turned off now unless you turn them back on, because of too much flyby related stalking.
Old 06-02-21, 02:38 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Did you carefully read their Privacy statement before you signed up? Agree with others that it's likely they network with Facebook, Google, Twitter or other social media orgs.
Old 06-02-21, 02:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
the social networking part is great, but it really stops being great when "drama" takes over. Hence why fb is junk.
Old 06-02-21, 02:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Troul
the social networking part is great, but it really stops being great when "drama" takes over. Hence why fb is junk.
What I've discovered is that if you're sufficiently obnoxious, eventually all the friends who disagree with your politics unfriend you, and the drama goes away.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-02-21, 03:13 PM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Well, the most likely explanation seems to be that other people 'shared' their contact and email lists with Strava, and my email address was in that data.
So as soon as I showed up on Strava with my email address, Strava 'recognized me' and started sending me 'friend' suggestions.

So unless my contacts were as paraniod - or aware, take your pick - as me, this was bound to happen.
Old 06-02-21, 03:18 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by genejockey
What I've discovered is that if you're sufficiently obnoxious, eventually all the friends who disagree with your politics unfriend you, and the drama goes away.
you'd think that it's as simple as that, but I bet the back stabbing is still going on "offline". You're just not directly involved about those things that were "voiced" in front of you.

"did you hear about genejockey?" "no?? what happened???" "well let me tell you... it involved a certain vegetable"

lol
Old 06-02-21, 03:20 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
Well, the most likely explanation seems to be that other people 'shared' their contact and email lists with Strava, and my email address was in that data.
So as soon as I showed up on Strava with my email address, Strava 'recognized me' and started sending me 'friend' suggestions.

So unless my contacts were as paraniod - or aware, take your pick - as me, this was bound to happen.
your credit score is kinda low thesedays. You might want to start a line of credit to help build it back up. Maybe first by opting for that extended warranty coverage?
Old 06-02-21, 03:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Troul
you'd think that it's as simple as that, but I bet the back stabbing is still going on "offline". You're just not directly involved about those things that were "voiced" in front of you.

"did you hear about genejockey?" "no?? what happened???" "well let me tell you... it involved a certain vegetable"

lol
"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-02-21, 04:16 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by genejockey
"there is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
the drama of life begins with a wail and ends with a sigh
Old 06-02-21, 04:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
My casual sense is that the people who are most worried about their privacy are the last people anyone would care to spy on.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-02-21, 06:35 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If it's only an occasional ride that your friend wants you to see then maybe Strava has a share link that they can copy and send to you..
This is the case. I am not a Strava member/user, but a friend of mine regularly sends me links to his route maps and stats. As one would expect, they aren’t very interesting to anyone other than him.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-02-21, 08:48 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
My casual sense is that the people who are most worried about their privacy are the last people anyone would care to spy on.
This.
Likes For badger1:
Old 06-02-21, 09:05 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
It likely occurred when you initially registered. Lots of sites make it 'easy' to register by using your credentials from Facebook, Google or Apple. This eliminates the need to create an email based account (and remember another password) but it also generally comes with the price of sharing your contacts. If you sign up with an email address they shouldn't have access to your contacts.
They might not have access to your contacts, but they have access to the contacts of several people, some of whom may have the email address you used to sign up, in their contacts.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 06-02-21, 11:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
Those people that feel this current trend of apps being used for everything is not a big deal seem fully ignorant of the power and capabilities corporations gain from data harvesting. The info they gain from having people use their apps exponentially increases their abilities to manipulate us and serves to make it harder to create a shared reality between people. What is being sold as a connecting force is really being used as a tool for spying, controlling and dividing.

The modern use of cell phones to surveil and collect data is reshaping the world in ways that will soon not just eliminate any sense of privacy but also be able to curtail freedoms by limiting access to areas and events.
So all this is definitely a concern, I agree.
I dont fully understand how it connects to Strava though. Are yohbsaying strava is using data collection to manipulate us and makes it hard for us to share a reality?

I don't feel manipulated by strava and if anything, it probably helps bring strangers together to share a reality.
I use it as a convenient data collection and storage program. Rides upload to it, my total miles are tracked, and I periodically see if I managed to be faster on an arbitrary segment than I have been during prior rides.

Don't see the manipulation or severed reality.

Again, your post is something I do agree with, it just dossbt seem like strava is currently the devil you describe.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-03-21, 08:01 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 1,813 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Again, your post is something I do agree with, it just dossbt seem like strava is currently the devil you describe.
Agree, though Strava's location data does have darker sides. I miss the full-disclosure Flyby feature, but I do understand that it was being used for stalking.
And then there was the problem that their heat maps were revealing the locations of secret military basis in Central Asia.
https://www.wired.com/story/strava-h...ckers-privacy/
Old 06-03-21, 08:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Agree, though Strava's location data does have darker sides. I miss the full-disclosure Flyby feature, but I do understand that it was being used for stalking.
And then there was the problem that their heat maps were revealing the locations of secret military basis in Central Asia.
https://www.wired.com/story/strava-h...ckers-privacy/
Strava, like most all tech companies, has had to adjust their privacy settings as issues have come up.
Being able to set a anonymous general range for where rides start and end is a good thing. The option to opt in/out of heatmap data is a good thing.
Old 06-03-21, 08:38 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
This is how concerned I am

Old 06-03-21, 10:50 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
This is how concerned I am

Does that contain that ridiculous hill (my definition) you mentioned? Maybe I can figure it out with that track.
Old 06-03-21, 11:00 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Is this thread a pitch for the redux of Encino Man? “Caveman thaws from block of ice to discover bizarre new world… He’s proof evolution is not an exact science.”
Please, let's just leave Paulie Shore's career dead & buried.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 06-03-21, 11:01 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
O/T but not really;

I was working in a SCIF (fancy name for a building where TS work is done for the DoD) and there as a contractor in there installing a VTC. I was in there getting network information to configure ports and he was talking about not banking online, he has no social media, doesn't trust the government...loud talking type...you know the ones-they believe every hushed ominously music' d YouTube video conspiracy out there.

I was flabbergasted...I mean here was a dip**** who didn't trust the man but had to submit his entire life history to the "government" to even set foot in our building and he thought he was "safe" because he didn't transfer money online? L-o-effin-L. I'm like dude...you've basically had sweaty butt sex with the government at this point...they KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU....he was a mumbler after that...

The point?

1. Don't trust the feds? Well I'd think the last thing you'd want to do was WORK FOR THEM.

2. Don't want Strava sending in the black helicopters to anal probe you? DON'T. SIGN. UP!!!

I mean good grief dude.

Halfwits...we're surrounded.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 06-03-21, 11:38 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
O/T but not really;

2. Don't want Strava sending in the black helicopters to anal probe you? DON'T. SIGN. UP!!!

I mean good grief dude.

but oh noes ! big tech.

i truly don’t understand. these are private companies offering a service. at this point (2021) they make it fairly clear what data they want, what they’re going to do with it (SELL IT) and your range of options to not have your data harvested.

i’d feel differently if facebook, strava, instagram, youtube, etc were basic necessities like food or shelter or paying taxes and the only way to live was by being surveilled.

i’m also guessing a fair number of those complaining are also against paying for these services, leaving the only way for them to be viable businesses advertising and data collection.
Old 06-03-21, 01:01 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
O/T but not really;

I was working in a SCIF (fancy name for a building where TS work is done for the DoD) and there as a contractor in there installing a VTC. I was in there getting network information to configure ports and he was talking about not banking online, he has no social media, doesn't trust the government...loud talking type...you know the ones-they believe every hushed ominously music' d YouTube video conspiracy out there.

I was flabbergasted...I mean here was a dip**** who didn't trust the man but had to submit his entire life history to the "government" to even set foot in our building and he thought he was "safe" because he didn't transfer money online? L-o-effin-L. I'm like dude...you've basically had sweaty butt sex with the government at this point...they KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU....he was a mumbler after that...

The point?

1. Don't trust the feds? Well I'd think the last thing you'd want to do was WORK FOR THEM.

I mean good grief dude.

probably not a good idea mentioning TS/DOD/Security Clearance work on a public forum.
Old 06-03-21, 02:17 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I'm pretty anti social media. I use the under-armor app strictly because I sometimes have issues with the odometer on my cycling computer (the sensor moves and then it quits working until I stop and fix it) and the map feature is cool. They keep sending me emails asking if they have the right e-mail or something. I keep not responding.

Strava is of no interest to me....I prefer to ride alone for the most part so I don't need an app suggesting friends to me. I have some non social media pals that I can ride with if I want company. If people are into Strava that's great for them....if it helps them enjoy the experience or meet fellow riders ...go for it.

Personally I cringe a little when people post that stuff to other social media....a bit too much "look at me .......look at me !!!" I talk about my rides with people at work .....if I see their eyes glaze over and the look of abject boredom set in I stop. As it is I have gotten a few coworkers on new bikes.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 06-03-21, 03:38 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
So strava has a map feature, you don't get on strava to meet people to ride with, you can use it to log mileage in private mode so no others see your rides, you can post rides for others to see in case like your friends, their eyes glaze over and they don't want to hear about your ride, all they have to do is avoid the post like so many other social media sites.

Seems to me you have been avoiding strava for all the wrong reasons.
Im not avoiding it ..... I just have something that works for me already ....u cam do plenty of social networking on it if you wish... i dont ...and I don't get alot of eyes glazing over actually ....I was sort of joking .... our secretary bought a new bike , a former runner has took up cycling and there are a few other cyclists to talk to as well
Likes For Rdmonster69:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.