Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Testing a new Lock

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Testing a new Lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 05:37 PM
yammay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where would you store it on a women's bike?
Old 05-04-11, 08:26 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
I may have just forgotten, but does it strap to the top tube or do you lock it around there. I'm wondering because I have a rather long top tube and would be bummed if it couldn't reach long enough to lock on the back.

Old 05-08-11, 10:13 PM
Joshua A.C. New

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nah, you just strap it to the frame. You can keep the lock on one side of the bow, though.

Yammay, if you mean a Ladies', with the long, steep diagonal top tube to accomodate a dress, you don't. That's not really our target market. If you mean a woman's bike with a short top tube, you're OK down to about 50cm. Past that, if it's a compact frame (as most women's frames tend to be), the seat cluster and brakes can get in the way. John and I have spoken about producing a model for short frames, and it's not a big deal. We just can't do it in our initial production run. We have to keep it simple for now!
Old 05-08-11, 10:55 PM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Joshua
What U lock was used in the video? I asked that question a couple of days ago, maybe you missed it?
Old 05-10-11, 06:46 PM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well since you haven't answered my question on what brand of U lock you used in the video, going by the looks of it I have to assume a very low-end lock you'd buy for $15 from Wal-Mart. To me that is not a real test and quite misleading. Stack this titanium lock up against a mid-level Kryptonite or Onguard U lock at least. I understand this is a product introduction, but if you are going to spam the boards here with your lock at least be fair in the comparisons.
Old 05-10-11, 07:28 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sjt78
Well since you haven't answered my question on what brand of U lock you used in the video, going by the looks of it I have to assume a very low-end lock you'd buy for $15 from Wal-Mart. To me that is not a real test and quite misleading. Stack this titanium lock up against a mid-level Kryptonite or Onguard U lock at least. I understand this is a product introduction, but if you are going to spam the boards here with your lock at least be fair in the comparisons.
That Ulock in the video really closely ressemble this:
Old 05-10-11, 09:32 PM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colleen c
That Ulock in the video really closely ressemble this:
Exactly. Hardly the standard to which you would want to compare a new expensive lock to.
Old 05-10-11, 09:56 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sjt78
Exactly. Hardly the standard to which you would want to compare a new expensive lock to.
I too was interested as to what lock that was in the video. The lock I posted is a Master bought at Walmart 3 years ago for about $15. Unless otherwise the tester tell us what brand the ulock was in the video, I will assume it was a cheapy. I would think it's only fair to compare the retail price of the Titanium band lock to a similar price Ulock.
Old 05-27-11, 08:19 AM
Joshua A.C. New

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, folks, I'm sorry I haven't responded. Things sorta crazy blew up with TiGr (almost $90,000!) and I've been running around after it.

I'm sorry to say I don't know what brand lock he was using. It was, indeed, cheap —*he bought a bunch of them to attack and couldn't buy a ton of high-end ones. That said, he assured me when I asked the same question that the steel is the same as that used in high-end Kryptos. Since we weren't attacking the lock mechanism and the steel, it should be a fairly representative test.

However, if you have any skepticism, please wait until we have ART certification! It's some of the most rigorous in the world. You'll know then exactly where it lines up. Kickstarter is for people who are enthusiastic early adopters. If you have concerns, I encourage you to wait until there's a complete production run with certification.
Old 05-27-11, 09:45 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just a regular U-lock made of titanium would be great, IMO. The only real problem with U-locks is that they are very heavy. Chains are a bit more versatile, but even heavier and harder to store.
Old 05-28-11, 09:29 PM
Joshua A.C. New

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not that we're planning on producing such a thing, but what would be better about a titanium U lock?
Old 05-31-11, 12:19 PM
Joshua A.C. New

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow. We're almost at $100,000. We're hoping to make it by the end of this week! If anyone's interested, please help us by tweeting and posting!
Old 05-31-11, 03:41 PM
o0adam0o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very interested in this!
Old 05-31-11, 05:16 PM
Ediblestarfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm actually interested to see how it compares to the Abus Bordo.

https://www.abus-bordo.com/index_en.html

It's still not a U or D lock replacement, but it's probably a heck of a lot better than a cable lock.
Old 06-01-11, 11:35 AM
Joshua A.C. New

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, that's a neat one! I don't know how it compares. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out in the ART testing.

TiGr meanwhile has only about 60 hours left!
Old 03-05-12, 11:31 PM
Lasareath

Bikes: StreetStrider ETX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't wait to get my two TiGr's!!!

Here's a review on youtube:

https://youtu.be/jvUZwNqtzNI