Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sealed cartridge bb question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-22, 07:49 PM
buddiiee 

Bikes: 70's Nuovo Record Jeunet Franche Compte, '88 105 Trek 1200, '85 Victory Bianchi Vittoria, '89 Exage Bianchi Strada LX, '11 Shimano Masi Partenza

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts

I just installed my 2nd Shimano sealed cartridge bb tonight. The first one went perfect, but this 2nd one's a tad loose. The spindle's just a little loose inside the cartridge; is that supposed to be like that? I usually only use old school bottom brackets.

Old 06-21-22, 08:22 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Is the spindle loose in the cartridge, or is the cartridge loose in the BB shell? I got a new cartridge once which had a plastic adjustable cup that had a very small amount of play between it and the cartridge. I solved it with a shim of metal foil chimney tape.

The spindle should definitely not be loose in the cartridge.
Old 06-22-22, 04:00 AM
buddiiee 

Bikes: 70's Nuovo Record Jeunet Franche Compte, '88 105 Trek 1200, '85 Victory Bianchi Vittoria, '89 Exage Bianchi Strada LX, '11 Shimano Masi Partenza

It's loose in the cartridge. Not by much, but I can definitely feel it when I grab a crank arm.

Old 06-22-22, 08:08 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
Most of the "sealed cartridge type" BBs are not meant to have the bearing preload adjustable or to be taken apart and serviced. That is the glory of them, plug/play/forget/replace when worn out...

If the play is not noticed when riding I might not do anything. If the play is enough to cause problems with front chain meshing, shifting or excessive chain rub on cage then i would replace the BB with one that wasn't loose.

Have you taken this up with the outfit that you bought the BB from? Andy
Old 06-22-22, 08:24 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
That isn't right. I would return it to where I bought it if I were you.
Old 06-24-22, 07:14 AM
buddiiee 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Most of the "sealed cartridge type" BBs are not meant to have the bearing preload adjustable or to be taken apart and serviced. That is the glory of them, plug/play/forget/replace when worn out...

If the play is not noticed when riding I might not do anything. If the play is enough to cause problems with front chain meshing, shifting or excessive chain rub on cage then i would replace the BB with one that wasn't loose.

Have you taken this up with the outfit that you bought the BB from? Andy
I haven't yet, no. Was wondering if it was normal or not, but now that I'm starting to hear it's not normal I just might.