Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Decent deal for starter road bike?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Decent deal for starter road bike?

Old 06-27-22, 03:32 PM
alceryes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redbullet
You're welcome.
2000 $ original price might be in carbon fiber area. I would buy second hand carbon fiber bike only from very close and honest friends / relatives, who can share with me the full history of the bike...
I just picked a number
I'll spend more if the deal is great is what I mean. I do like the idea of picking up a used one, in great condition, for a great deal and taking it to a shop for a $150 tune up but I also don't want to buy something that needs $500+ in major repairs just to get a decent ride.
Old 06-27-22, 03:42 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
You can search for Triban RC 500, if available. It has at least Shimano Sora shifters. Shimano makes a difference vs. Microshift. 2x9 speeds and disk brakes. I think it should be around 1000 $ as new. Plus solid frame (although a little heavy bike, overall).
Old 06-27-22, 07:31 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by alceryes
Do you have any suggestions? I'm in the NYC area.
I'm just afraid of buying something that has a major issue and having to put $$$ more into it. I like warranties and no-hasstle returns.
As long as the frame on a used bike looks good, with it's original paint and free of dents and cracks, it is very hard to go wrong. Of course you want to ride it up and down the block if possible to see if you like the way it steers and handles and fits you. If you are unable to do that then sight down the wheels and make sure they are in line with each other, make sure the wheels spin freely and are centered in the frame and fork and not rubbing on anything. The road bike I use the most I bought for $3 at a garage sale. Yes I did put a lot of time in it taking all of it's bearings apart, cleaning and lubing them, truing up the wheels and it did need new tires, but it was fun to work on, and I just love riding it, and still have a fraction of the cost of any new bike in it. My other two road bikes are higher-end, I paid ten bucks for one which is a Columbus-framed Schwinn SuperSport, and a nice old Fuji road bike I paid $40 for. They too needed some TLC and tires, but they are brilliant bikes to ride. If you love bikes and want to ride them the rest of your life then you really need to get an old bike and fix it up and learn how to repair them yourself, so you are not at the mercy of bicycle repair shops or bad mechanics, even if you get a brand-new bike you can end up in a lot of trouble if you know Zero about working on them yourself, because old or new all bikes need regular maintenance and tuning up, especially if you are riding over city potholes and New England rain-storms. Just start combing the classifieds for a steel-framed road bike in your size, hit some bike shops that deal in used bikes. With a bit of patience you can come out way ahead of the game of consumerism and get a life-long friend and learn some fun skills.
Old 06-27-22, 08:25 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8260 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
I just picked a number
I'll spend more if the deal is great is what I mean. I do like the idea of picking up a used one, in great condition, for a great deal and taking it to a shop for a $150 tune up but I also don't want to buy something that needs $500+ in major repairs just to get a decent ride.
Have you checked bikesdirect.com? Save up to 60% off Road Bikes, Free Ship 48, Schwinn, GT, Kestrel, Fuji, Motobecane and more Road bikes. Authorized dealer for Schwinn, GT, Kestrel, Fuji, Motobecane, Mercier, Gravity, Dawes road bikes. Shimano Carbon Road Bikes, Titanium Road Bikes, Dura Ace Road Bikes, Ultegra Road Bikes - bikesdirect.com
Likes For big john:
Old 07-06-22, 11:01 AM
alceryes

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big john
Have you checked bikesdirect.com?
I actually did just that.
After speaking to a few biking friends I ended up getting a flat bar hybrid instead of a drop bar road bike. I got the Gravity Swift 7 hybrid from Bikesdirect.
I put most of it together but I wanted a professional to check everything and adjust the derailleur and breaks. A local bike shop made all the final adjustments.

I just got back from a quick 6-mile test ride. I forgot how much fun bike riding is!!! I also forgot how much work going uphill is (even in a low gear).
Old 07-06-22, 11:19 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
I actually did just that.
After speaking to a few biking friends I ended up getting a flat bar hybrid instead of a drop bar road bike. I got the Gravity Swift 7 hybrid from Bikesdirect.
I put most of it together but I wanted a professional to check everything and adjust the derailleur and breaks. A local bike shop made all the final adjustments.

I just got back from a quick 6-mile test ride. I forgot how much fun bike riding is!!! I also forgot how much work going uphill is (even in a low gear).
Checked it out on their website and looks like a good deal at that price. How's the overall quality? Always wondered if the budget end BD bikes were too good to be true...
Old 07-06-22, 11:51 AM
alceryes

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Miradaman
Checked it out on their website and looks like a good deal at that price. How's the overall quality? Always wondered if the budget end BD bikes were too good to be true...
So far it's great.
Brakes are stop-on-a-dime good. Tells me how bad the brakes on my teenager bikes were 30+ years ago. Frame seems nice and solid. Shifting is smooth and responsive. Local bike shop did final adjustments then I tested for a bit. Gears 1 and 2 were skipping ever so slightly. Bike shop made another small adjustment and now shifting is perfect. I love the tires! The one I got is slightly different from the picture on the Bikesdirect site (new 2023 model, maybe?). My tires have a little more grip/tread on the sides than pictured on the site. Definite gravel/dirt potential!

I'll take it out a few more times over the next week and report back. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edit: This is a big bike. So glad I went with the 20" instead of the 22". I'm 6'3" and I've only got a 1.5" inseam clearance when straddling, and leg is only slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal when riding.

Last edited by alceryes; 07-06-22 at 12:00 PM. Reason: SS
Old 07-06-22, 01:05 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8260 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
So far it's great.
Brakes are stop-on-a-dime good. Tells me how bad the brakes on my teenager bikes were 30+ years ago. Frame seems nice and solid. Shifting is smooth and responsive. Local bike shop did final adjustments then I tested for a bit. Gears 1 and 2 were skipping ever so slightly. Bike shop made another small adjustment and now shifting is perfect. I love the tires! The one I got is slightly different from the picture on the Bikesdirect site (new 2023 model, maybe?). My tires have a little more grip/tread on the sides than pictured on the site. Definite gravel/dirt potential!

I'll take it out a few more times over the next week and report back. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edit: This is a big bike. So glad I went with the 20" instead of the 22". I'm 6'3" and I've only got a 1.5" inseam clearance when straddling, and leg is only slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal when riding.
Enjoy!