Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed
Reload this Page >

Camp. Veloce 8 rear derailleur limits?

Notices
Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed Not vintage, not new, but still loved!

Old 07-24-22, 08:29 AM
birdly

Bikes: 1972 lejeune fixed commuter; 196? Frejus Professional (available); Schwinn Pixie (so rockin')

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I went on CL looking for a rigid steel frame for family excursions and ended up with this. After a bunch of googling I think it is probably from around 1998.
At some point I’ll probably want a different cassette. I’m wondering about how big a chainring I can use with the 8 speed Veloce derailleur and if I need to stick with chainrings from that era and Campag. brand. Obviously I don’t know a lot.
I’ll be grateful for your advice.

edit: I still don’t know much but in case someone else looks: yes, you must stick with Campag. 8. Miche also makes an 8 speed cassette that I think should work with a chainring up to 28t.

Last edited by birdly; 07-28-22 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-11-22, 11:22 AM
GrayJay

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 32 Posts
a 28t chainring would be tiny! (chainrings go on the crankset, I think you intended to ask about max cassette cog size which is not the same as a chainring).
Old 08-13-22, 10:50 AM
birdly

Bikes: 1972 lejeune fixed commuter; 196? Frejus Professional (available); Schwinn Pixie (so rockin')

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GrayJay
a 28t chainring would be tiny! (chainrings go on the crankset, I think you intended to ask about max cassette cog size which is not the same as a chainring).
Thanks. You are correct. I’ve learned that I do have to stick with Campag 8 speed or compatible. Compatible seems limited but I’ve seen a Miche cassette with a 26 tooth cog.
Old 08-13-22, 09:29 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 195 Posts
Another option you can consider: the distance the derailer travels per shift with Campagnolo 8 speed is the same as Shimano 7 speed. So if getting a cassette with 28t cog is a top priority for you, you could swap for a wheel with a Shimano freehub body and run a 12-28 7sp cassette since those are readily available. Obviously you'd be sacrificing one gear ratio, but it might be a worthwhile tradeoff if your goal is to get the largest sprocket possible without changing anything else on your drivetrain.
Likes For lasauge:
Old 08-14-22, 08:00 PM
birdly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Lasauge! That is good to know. I don’t know yet what my priorities will be but options are good, especially ones that keep my shifters and derailleur as-is.
Old 08-14-22, 08:25 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts
Campagnolo Veloce 9sp cassettes have individual cogs that can be respaced for 8sp using kits from Campagnolo or Wheels MFG. This would require dropping the largest 9th cog, so not sure if that would help you, but something to look into.
Old 08-15-22, 10:17 AM
birdly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Campagnolo Veloce 9sp cassettes have individual cogs that can be respaced for 8sp using kits from Campagnolo or Wheels MFG. This would require dropping the largest 9th cog, so not sure if that would help you, but something to look into.
also good to know. I appreciate it. Mostly I expect to value range over top speed or close ratios for cadence. How I get there is open but I don’t want to change everything.
Old 08-15-22, 10:26 AM
gkamieneski

Hasten to add that if you go with the 9sp Veloce individual cog cassette spaced for 8sp, this cassette would have to be carried by a 9sp Campagnolo hub.
Old 08-22-22, 05:18 PM
J_Chickles

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
The 9 speed trick does not sound bad -- they are much easier to find than 8 speed units --
Old 08-22-22, 05:28 PM
gkamieneski

One difficulty you will have will be finding the Campagnolo or Wheels MFG 9sp individual cog conversion kit to 8sp.

The absolute best performance scenario is to simply find an 8sp cassette with the cog range you desire, either Campagnolo or anothers who will fit the Campagnolo freehub, and run with an 8sp chain.

This will provide the quietest best shifting solution.
Old 08-23-22, 10:45 AM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I had Campy 8 speed 10 years ago, I got a pair of wheels cheap and one thing led to another. I ended up buying a new 13-26 Campagnolo cassette for about $125, and eventually, a Veloce crank with a smaller chain ring, maybe a 38? to get a little more range. I wouldn't recommend trying to mess with the cassette, servicing them is very tricky, and my old-school mechanic struggled with it.
Old 08-23-22, 10:55 AM
gkamieneski

I beg to differ, but nothing to be afraid of with Campagnolo 8sp. The cassettes go on just as the modern cassettes of today, just a different spline pattern and the ability to space individual cogs.

Now if you're really speaking of the freehub, yes newer 9, 10, 11, 12 freehubs are easier to service, but the 8sp can be serviced and bearings can be replaced. The major difference is the standard vs. oversize axle. This is what makes freehub bodies not interchangeable.
Old 08-23-22, 11:52 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 273 Posts
Campy 8-speed Ergopower: I've been riding this recently, and it is sweet. Shifting is as smooth and crisp as anything current, except di2 or EPS. Folks who slag the shifting performance of these systems are invariably riding with worn-out cogs, cassettes and cables/housings. Replacing the consumables will restore shifting performance to new. And new is really good.

That is, unless the G-springs and spring carrier in your shifters are broken or worn out. On this generation of Ergopower, the right shifters need servicing every 10k miles or so, with $30 worth of parts. The left shifters never seem to wear out.

The smallest chainring you can use on the crankset is a 39. The biggest cassette cog at the rear is 28. You can still buy Miche 13-28 Campy-compatible 8-speed cassettes. Of course, being a used bike, the chain will be stretched out and ready for disposal. Suggest a Campagnolo 8-speed chain if you can still find them, but a Shimano IG51 or HG40 chain is also great. Your single pivot brake calipers will be weak, so suggest replacing with some Campy dual-pivots. Anything will do, such as Veloce or Mirage, with new brake blocks.

If you need lower gears than this, suggest you replace the crankset with a compact, but this is a whole new level of complexity; report back. Nice bike!
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 08-23-22, 08:37 PM
gkamieneski

SRAM also makes great 8sp chains, but my personal favorite is the KMC X8 chain. Pair that with a Campy 8sp cassette and you will hear very little noise from your drivetrain, especially compared to anything from Shimano.

As for the brakes, the single pivots are more than serviceable if you replace the pads with come from Koolstop made for Campagnolo calipers.
Old 08-24-22, 09:42 PM
birdly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the information and thoughts. I’m going to keep it simple for now and see how it works out. I’ve ordered a Miche 13-28 cassette and put a new chain and tires on (peak skinny tire era: had to stick with 25s. 28s rubbed in front.) Shifting seems precise and positive to me. Maybe I’ll keep an eye out for a compact but I’m going to rid it a while. Cheers!
Likes For birdly:
Old 08-25-22, 11:02 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 273 Posts
Excellent plan!

Since the new Miche cassette requires a longer chain, you'll want to check to see if the new chain is long enough. Obviously, you'll need enough chain to be able to use the big ring/28 cassette tooth combo.

While the cassette is off, you'll also want to clean and regrease out the innards of your hub, both the freehub cavity, and the 2 main bearings. You may have the cartridge or loose-ball version of this hub, but likely the superior loose-ball version. This will take 30 minutes and require some dental floss.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 08-26-22, 09:02 PM
gkamieneski

Dave, I assume you’re suggesting the dental floss for holding the pawls in place? Campy also made a nifty little tool for this purpose back in the 8sp days. Just thinking that OP may not be aware of the pawls issue.
Old 08-27-22, 09:05 AM
birdly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Dave, I assume you’re suggesting the dental floss for holding the pawls in place? Campy also made a nifty little tool for this purpose back in the 8sp days. Just thinking that OP may not be aware of the pawls issue.
I’m not aware. Do you mean for reassembly?
Old 08-27-22, 08:37 PM
gkamieneski

Yes. For holding the 3 pawls and springs in place as you slide the cassette body off and for putting it back on. After 8sp Campagnolo made a big change to the pawl design and those hubs are easier to work on.
Likes For gkamieneski: