Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber bike life span

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon fiber bike life span

Old 11-08-22, 03:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I’m sure the recommendation is to cut up and landfill your 4 million dollar HH66 after 10 years, lest it disintegrate under you. Not that the people who buy these things have to keep them for that long.

How long do America's Cup boats last? A year?

Of course they keep changing the rules based on who's country won the previous year.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-08-22, 05:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10102 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Of course they keep changing the rules based on whose country won the previous year.
It’s now a corporate team sport very much like pro cycling and a hell of a lot more fun to watch than the old style races. The multihulls they race now are turned over each season because the rules and the technology are constantly evolving, but the old 12 Meter boats are still competing.

Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 11-08-22, 05:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Do you have a carbon fibre hammer? What would happen?
It would drope.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-08-22, 05:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by CliffordK

Of course they keep changing the rules based on who's country won the previous year.
That's the problem with carbon fiber, it makes rules change.
Old 11-09-22, 12:39 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
I saw many opinions saying that a road carbon fiber bike should be changed after 6,7,10 years, to avoid risk of carbon failure. However, talking about the large pool of riders of carbon bikes from reputable brands, outside of professionals or hard racing world, I wonder:

How many road riders from above category experienced carbon fiber failure from normal riding (no hard crash or misuse), and how long (years or km) did it take for such failure to occur?
Longer than anyone need care about.
Old 11-09-22, 12:42 AM
Camilo

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Because they presume it's a bit like plastic maybe? To be fair I've seen plenty of carbon failures from inappropriate loading (usually from clamping to bike racks). The typical pencil thin seat stays you often see on modern road bikes are also easily prone to damage from everyday knocks. I'm always very careful when leaning my bikes up not to catch those on sharp edges of walls etc.
I'm as carefull handling my steel, aluminum and carbon bikes because I don't want any of them to get dented or scratched by careless use. Such care prevents any damage to the carbon bike just like the others.The titanium bikes I'm equally careful of by habit, but I'm not nearly as worried about scratching.
Good idea.
But... I wanted to "count" the failures during normal use, and the km or time period until the failure occurred. That might give a more practical perspective over the lifespan of a carbon bike for common users - as opposite to many articles that mix normal usage, poor construction, crashes, misuses and abuses - etc, to come up with a general and useless conclusion that, yes, carbon bikes fails, so you should replace your bike with a new one from time to time, for safety reasons...
Huh, whaaaat? you expect any sort of useable information?

I'm not sure you will get any meaningful data on this beyond anecdotal stories. ...
"not sure", more like "no way".

Originally Posted by Koyote
Who are these "many users"?
Similar to what we've heard a lot in public statements and speeches "many people are saying..."

Last edited by Camilo; 11-09-22 at 12:48 AM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 11-09-22, 06:01 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
It's illusory to talk about bike life span in terms of years. Bike frame fatigue which happens inevitably with all materials is a product of mileage, riding style, rider weight and power (out of the saddle grinding subjects the frame to much higher forces than climbing in the saddle, even higher than hitting road bumps), amount and severity of manufacturing defects (which happen, even in metals; just ask all the people who had a Ti frame break at the welds) and any impacts which may have created dents / cracks / delaminations / etc which may have weakened the material.

You can go down the rabbit hole of examining articles about bike and fork fatigue testing and so on, but it's really hard to translate how many cycles of what force to miles on the road, especially as there's a huge difference in terms of forces between eating up miles spinning on the flat on a smooth road, and a ride in the mountains over crap roads.
Old 11-09-22, 08:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
It's illusory to talk about bike life span in terms of years. Bike frame fatigue which happens inevitably with all materials is a product of mileage, riding style, rider weight and power (out of the saddle grinding subjects the frame to much higher forces than climbing in the saddle, even higher than hitting road bumps), amount and severity of manufacturing defects (which happen, even in metals; just ask all the people who had a Ti frame break at the welds) and any impacts which may have created dents / cracks / delaminations / etc which may have weakened the material.

You can go down the rabbit hole of examining articles about bike and fork fatigue testing and so on, but it's really hard to translate how many cycles of what force to miles on the road, especially as there's a huge difference in terms of forces between eating up miles spinning on the flat on a smooth road, and a ride in the mountains over crap roads.
Not to mention it will depend largely on the individual bike model too. It's really a non-starter of a question to answer with any meaningful single number. Depending on the specific bike model and usage, expected lifespan could be anything from a few years to many decades. There's nothing inherent to carbon fibre that would limit any frame made out of it to a specific limited lifespan. It's not going to melt, dissolve or fall to pieces merely as a result of the passage of time.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-09-22, 12:15 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevinti
Woven Fiber
...[snip]...
Not woven fiber.
I think what you are seeing there is the use of unidirectional carbon fibre, rather than the more basic bidirectional weave.
No, what you're seeing in either picture is simply two alternatives for the cosmetic layer, the first one a weave and the second one a random pattern*. The actual structural carbon in both examples is underneath the cosmetic layer, and is almost certainly unidirectional fiber...which looks like neither. Unidirectional fiber typically looks pretty benign/boring; sometimes you can determine the direction of the fibers, but if they are fine enough it just looks like matte gray plastic.

*Modulus Graphite, the company that invented the use of carbon fiber for guitar and bass necks, refers to that particular random pattern, the one that looks like "burnt MDF plywood" [sic] as KLD...an acronym for One Thousand Ladies Dancing.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 11-09-22, 02:41 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
No, what you're seeing in either picture is simply two alternatives for the cosmetic layer, the first one a weave and the second one a random pattern*. The actual structural carbon in both examples is underneath the cosmetic layer, and is almost certainly unidirectional fiber...which looks like neither. Unidirectional fiber typically looks pretty benign/boring; sometimes you can determine the direction of the fibers, but if they are fine enough it just looks like matte gray plastic.

*Modulus Graphite, the company that invented the use of carbon fiber for guitar and bass necks, refers to that particular random pattern, the one that looks like "burnt MDF plywood" [sic] as KLD...an acronym for One Thousand Ladies Dancing.
Agreed on the cosmetic layer in the burnt patch look. The first one looks like a classic bi-directional weave. Not necessarily UD underneath either. Either way they are all sheet fabric layups and there is no "plank" type construction involved.
Old 11-09-22, 03:55 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
A properly designed and constructed carbon bicycle frame has a virtually infinite fatigue life. Under normal (not involving a crash that exceeds the limits of the frame construction) conditions a carbon frame will outlast the rider pretty easily.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-09-22, 04:40 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Agreed on the cosmetic layer in the burnt patch look. The first one looks like a classic bi-directional weave.
But "classic bi-directional weave" is (was) almost always used as a cosmetic layer only, because there are very few locations on a bicycle frame -- especially where two or more tubes join one another -- where you want structural fibers oriented uniformly at a perfect 90° angle to one another.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 11-09-22, 06:18 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
But "classic bi-directional weave" is (was) almost always used as a cosmetic layer only
I don't believe that is true, but I'm not by any means a composites expert. There are properties of both unidirectional and woven bi-directional carbon that are beneficial to the combined structure. There may well be more emphasis on unidirectional layers in a high-end modern bike frame, but woven carbon is not merely for cosmetic use.
Old 11-09-22, 06:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

The only thing people really need to know to come to the answer is there are millions of carbon bikes being ridden every day, some of them have seen decades of service. Carbon fiber isn't inherently unsuitable for bikes, no matter what scary things the internet says.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-09-22, 09:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Rode on my 20-year old cf fork again today. Did not die.

Will report back the next time I ride it.
Old 11-09-22, 10:48 PM
Camilo

Rode on my 20-year old cf fork again today. Did not die.

Will report back the next time I ride it.
For our sake and the sake of your loved ones, you should install an app on your phone which will post here as well as text loved ones if your movement and heart both stop, with accelerometer data.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 11-09-22, 10:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
For our sake and the sake of your loved ones, you should install an app on your phone which will post here as well as text loved ones if your movement and heart both stop, with accelerometer data.
Well, I did have one of the Specialized helmets with the ANGI system -- it was supposed to alert my wife if I crashed and was unconscious. But I figured she would just start working on her eHarmony profile rather than call an ambulance, so I turned it off.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-10-22, 12:47 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Well, I did have one of the Specialized helmets with the ANGI system -- it was supposed to alert my wife if I crashed and was unconscious. But I figured she would just start working on her eHarmony profile rather than call an ambulance, so I turned it off.
Her profile is just fine as it is.
Likes For znomit:
Old 11-11-22, 01:58 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I saw many opinions saying that a road carbon fiber bike should be changed after 6,7,10 years, to avoid risk of carbon failure. However, talking about the large pool of riders of carbon bikes from reputable brands, outside of professionals or hard racing world, I wonder:

How many road riders from above category experienced carbon fiber failure from normal riding (no hard crash or misuse), and how long (years or km) did it take for such failure to occur?
Opinions are just that. And you know what they say about opinions? Might those opinions be from someone who wants to sell you a new bike?

As you can see here, there are plenty of riders who have ridden carbon bikes for more than 2 decades with no issues.
Old 11-12-22, 04:15 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Opinions are just that. And you know what they say about opinions? Might those opinions be from someone who wants to sell you a new bike?
As you can see here, there are plenty of riders who have ridden carbon bikes for more than 2 decades with no issues.
Noticed. But the takeaway for the moment is that nobody (yet) claimed here retiring road carbon bike due to failing during normal use. This might be a little piece of answer to my question.
Likes For Redbullet:
Old 11-12-22, 04:26 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Noticed. But the takeaway for the moment is that nobody (yet) claimed here retiring road carbon bike due to failing during normal use. This might be a little piece of answer to my question.
As far as I know, carbon does not deteriorate with age or for that matter mileage. It only "ages" with abuse such as riding it off a cliff or colliding with a motor vehicle. And in either of those scenarios, your carbon fiber frame will be the least of your worries.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-12-22, 09:40 PM
cxwrench

I don't believe that is true, but I'm not by any means a composites expert. There are properties of both unidirectional and woven bi-directional carbon that are beneficial to the combined structure. There may well be more emphasis on unidirectional layers in a high-end modern bike frame, but woven carbon is not merely for cosmetic use.
A 'woven' piece of carbon is nearly always cosmetic. It doesn't provide any difference in stiffness in any direction because 50% of the material is always positioned perpendicular to the other 50%. A layer of unidirectional on the other hand can be positioned at an angle to the next layer if needed and completely change the flex/stiffness characteristics of the the part. During a visit to the Cervelo CA facility we made samples that were the size/shape of a popsicle stick. We did 2, the first had all the fibers running the length of the sample, the second had each layer at an opposing 45* angle to the length of the sample. The first you pretty much couldn't bend the length of the part, but was torsionally very flexible. The second you could easily bend lengthwise but was torsionally very rigid. Both were 4 sheets thick. Damon Rinard (head engineer for Cervelo at the time) said that weave was pretty much only used for cosmetic finish layers. It's strong against impacts but doesn't really change the flex you've designed into the layers under it.
Old 11-13-22, 03:36 AM
Branko D

Originally Posted by Lombard
As far as I know, carbon does not deteriorate with age or for that matter mileage
You could literally google composite fatigue and find out that it's wrong in two minutes - it deteriorates with (sometimes) age and particularly mileage.

I mean, seriously, folks, a cyclist climbing out of the saddle is a much more torquey machine than a typical motorcycle and the forces have a sideways and twisting component and are more choppy then a typical engine. Just climbing out of the saddle at a moderate 350W and 50 rpm is 66Nm of torque. How heavy is a motorcycle frame? A composite bike frame is 800 to 1100 grams, a quality metal one is 1500 to 1800 grams, of course they're all going to die to fatigue with enough miles.

Yesterday we were climbing a mountain and at the foot of the climb one of the riders had his old CF frame die, crack at the chainstay. It happens. ​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 11-13-22 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-13-22, 10:17 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Branko D
You could literally google composite fatigue and find out that it's wrong in two minutes - it deteriorates with (sometimes) age and particularly mileage.

I mean, seriously, folks, a cyclist climbing out of the saddle is a much more torquey machine than a typical motorcycle and the forces have a sideways and twisting component and are more choppy then a typical engine. Just climbing out of the saddle at a leisurely 350W and 50 rpm is 66Nm of torque. How heavy is a motorcycle frame? A composite bike frame is 800, 900 grams, a metal one is 1500-1800 grams, of course they're all going to die to fatigue with enough miles.

Yesterday we were climbing a mountain and at the foot of the climb one of the riders had his old CF frame die, crack at the chainstay. It happens.
What you're missing is that the bicycle frame is designed with a fatigue limit far far above that theoretical 66nm. That being the case if the frame is manufactured properly it will never get close enough to that limit to 'wear out'.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-13-22, 10:55 AM
Branko D

Originally Posted by cxwrench
What you're missing is that the bicycle frame is designed with a fatigue limit far far above that theoretical 66nm. That being the case if the frame is manufactured properly it will never get close enough to that limit to 'wear out'.

86 Nm at a 25% climb

Metal frames are operating under the fatigue limit at all times? CF frames never fatigue? Why do they eventually crack, then?
​​​​
It’s a bold claim which doesn't seem to be supported by any literature which examines bicycle frame fatigue.

Last edited by Branko D; 11-13-22 at 11:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.