Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

[FWD] Recumbent w/ Belt Drive

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-10, 03:05 PM
jmarsh24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my first time on this forum, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place. I am trying to design a FWD recumbent bicycle based off of the Cruzbike "Silvio" design. As the designer I am looking to go with front wheel drive to allow me to limit the amount of chain on the bike, which would allow for better tension. Another thing I was looking to do differently on my design would be to integrate a belt drive system into the bicycle. The problems that I
Old 11-18-10, 10:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Look here . Flevo bike is a front wheel recumbent design https://flevofanclub.ligfiets.net

steers by leaning , no handlebars on the front wheel , theres PDF drawings to be downloaded there , too.
Old 11-18-10, 11:23 PM
Joshua A.C. New

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My guess is that your challenge will be getting the distance from the cranks to the wheel correct; there's no way to change the length of a belt like you can with a chain.

Of course, I'm just guessing that's what you're asking, since
The problems that I
Old 11-19-10, 12:34 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Joshua A.C. New
My guess is that your challenge will be getting the distance from the cranks to the wheel correct; there's no way to change the length of a belt like you can with a chain.
Exactly. Beyond that, you'll have to obtain or create a split dropout since you can't split a belt to fit it around the chainstay. You might want to talk to Rob English, since he's built custom recumbents: https://www.englishcycles.com/bikepics/ross/ross.htm and belt-drive bikes: https://www.englishcycles.com/bikepics/rob/winter.htm

And it would be nice if you finished your

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..