Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

NYC E-Bike Riders - Watch Out!

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-18, 08:37 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts

It seems the bureaucratic quagmire of a nightmare called NYC, the same one suffering from pollution and gridlock, is confiscating delivery drivers' e-bicycles. Makes total sense. But seriously, anything can be made law and the USA currently has over 2.2 million pages of them. "Law abiding" doesn't mean anything anymore.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40537103...helping-no-one

This is another form of asset forfeiture which already plagues the roads of the United States.
Old 07-02-18, 06:21 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I read that in April, DeBlasio finally acknowledged that eBikes could be a useful means of delivery and moved towards legalizing pedal assist bikes on NYC streets. That still leaves a lot of delivery riders out in the cold if they have direct propulsion bikes -- how could they afford replacements? But, if it took place, it's a step in the right direction. Any NYC riders out there who know what came of this?
Old 07-02-18, 08:25 PM
chainlink

Bikes: Brompton, Tern eLink D7i (sold). RM - Tinker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They’re still fighting the unfairness of not legalizing throttle Ebikes. Here’s a more recent article: https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2018/05/...-e-bike-rules/
Old 07-04-18, 06:46 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chainlink
They’re still fighting the unfairness of not legalizing throttle Ebikes. Here’s a more recent article: https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2018/05/...-e-bike-rules/
This is very sad … Too much government control over our lives …. People just trying to make an honest living ….
Old 07-04-18, 07:21 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by vja4Him
This is very sad … Too much government control over our lives …. People just trying to make an honest living ….
No issue with that. So long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. Business e-bike riders should join forces and police themselves. That way the power that be won't have a need to.
Old 07-05-18, 08:55 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
pedal assist is okay, from what I understand. I think the big issue with throttle only is delivery bikes on sidewalks. The ones I have seen when I was in New York were never pedaled at all. I would say most of them were going an appropriate speed though.
Old 07-05-18, 04:52 PM
KraneXL

If its mobile via THROTTLE ONLY then its an electric scooter, not a bike.
Old 07-13-18, 09:01 PM
DukeO

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
What is the big deal about a Throttle?

I have to say a lot of these posts make me laugh.

The safest ebikes out there by far are ones that also have a Throttle.

That is a pretty big statement. But it is also the truth.

I am not sure why it is even a debate and why someone should not have that option on their ebike.

What difference does it make? It just opens ebikes up to more people that still have to follow all the same rules.

Most the people I have ever heard talk or write about them have never ridden a ebike with one.

First it is just another option and you do not have to use it you do not want to.

The ebike still has the same top speed and the same brakes.

It is safer because it can give you a quick boost of speed to get to out of danger.

It also can get you home if you wipe out and hurt a knee/leg.

For me. Someone who lost most of a kneecap in a wreck it has been a game changer.

I have a ebike with a bafang 750 mid-drive and a throttle. It also has 203mm hydraulic disc brakes and will stop far shorter then most bikes.

I also have to follow all bike laws of my state just like ever other bike.

If you took the throttle off my ebike it would be less safe and less fun.

It is the most fun to ride in low assist and every now and then a little burst from the throttle to pop up over a hill or get through a light.

The way to regulate is by setting speed limits in some places for all bikes if one is needed.

We Do Not need more bike laws.

Just for people to follow the ones we have.
Old 07-13-18, 09:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Be that as it may, the delivery people in NYC ride on the sidewalk most of the time, and they never pedal. That's what gets them in trouble. That's the way that NYC interprets the law and I'm not sure exactly what's going to change that.
Old 07-14-18, 01:11 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DukeO

I am not sure why it is even a debate and why someone should not have that option on their ebike.

What difference does it make? It just opens ebikes up to more people that still have to follow all the same rules.

Most the people I have ever heard talk or write about them have never ridden a ebike with one.

First it is just another option and you do not have to use it you do not want to.

It is safer because it can give you a quick boost of speed to get to out of danger.

For me. Someone who lost most of a kneecap in a wreck it has been a game changer.

I have a ebike with a bafang 750 mid-drive and a throttle. It also has 203mm hydraulic disc brakes and will stop far shorter then most bikes.

It is the most fun to ride in low assist and every now and then a little burst from the throttle to pop up over a hill or get through a light.

The way to regulate is by setting speed limits in some places for all bikes if one is needed.

Yes, no more bike laws !!! Just more common sense, which doesn't seem to be so common anymore.
Old 07-14-18, 07:48 PM
KraneXL

That's right, no additional bike laws. However, once its powered motor does not require pedal assist, it no longer qualifies as a bike, and therefore, is subject to whatever additional laws the municipality deems appropriate and necessary for pedestrian safety. Always keep in mind, that sidewalks are for pedestrians.
Yes, no more bike laws !!! Just more common sense, which doesn't seem to be so common anymore.
That's because it only takes one yahoo to knock down that rule.
Old 07-14-18, 08:11 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
That's right, no additional bike laws. However, once its powered motor does not require pedal assist, it no longer qualifies as a bike, and therefore, is subject to whatever additional laws the municipality deems appropriate and necessary for pedestrian safety.
But presumably you're fine with the "pedal-assist" bikes even if 99+% of the power is coming from the motor and less than 1% by the person pushing the pedals?
I don't see a significant difference between pedal-assist and throttle-operated e-bikes if there's no minimum level of power coming from the pedals. I've seen some speeding up a hill in a really high gear so the rider is slowly turning the pedals and just exerting the bare minimum amount of force to keep the motor turned on. Hardly seems different from that person applying an equally small amount of force on a throttle lever. If the law is going to differentiate 'pedal-assist' as a separate category then it should also specify some minimum fraction of the total power that comes from the person pushing on the pedals.
Old 07-14-18, 08:14 PM
DukeO

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I do not agree with a lot of Texas's laws/rules.

I do agree with their ebike rules.

(24) "Electric bicycle" means a bicycle thatA) is designed to be propelled by an electric motor, exclusively or in combination with the application of human power;(B) cannot attain a speed of more than 20 miles per hour without the application of human power; and (C) does not exceed a weight of 100 pounds.

Last edited by DukeO; 07-14-18 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-14-18, 08:33 PM
DukeO

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Why should it matter if it even has peddles if there is a speed and weight limit set?

What about people that have some kind of issue and can not peddle.

If there is a speed and weight limit. What real difference does it make if they have a throttle?

The best thing we can do is keep people mobile as long as we can.

My self. I think there should be three rules.

Under 16 and over 50 should have different rules then the rest.

When you hit 50 you should be able to ride whatever you like as long as it does not go over 20 with a throttle or weigh more then 100 pounds.
Old 07-14-18, 08:45 PM
DukeO

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
That's right, no additional bike laws. However, once its powered motor does not require pedal assist, it no longer qualifies as a bike, and therefore, is subject to whatever additional laws the municipality deems appropriate and necessary for pedestrian safety. Always keep in mind, that sidewalks are for pedestrians. That's because it only takes one yahoo to knock down that rule.
( that sidewalks are for pedestrians.)

In Texas any street that does not have a bike lane it is legal to ride on the sidewalk.

Most city streets in Austin Texas do have bike lanes now. But the ones that do not. You would have to be crazy to ride on. and most cities here are not as bike friendly

Cars still rule here or pickups anyways..

It has gotten better over the last 10 years.

Texas was and still is in a lot of places and very unfriendly to bikes of any kind place.

It has gotten a lot better where I live.
Old 07-14-18, 10:09 PM
KraneXL

( that sidewalks are for pedestrians.)

In Texas any street that does not have a bike lane it is legal to ride on the sidewalk.

Most city streets in Austin Texas do have bike lanes now. But the ones that do not. You would have to be crazy to ride on. and most cities here are not as bike friendly

Cars still rule here or pickups anyways..

It has gotten better over the last 10 years.

Texas was and still is in a lot of places and very unfriendly to bikes of any kind place.

It has gotten a lot better where I live.
Yes, burn this into your cerebral cortex and never forget it. That way we always know our place as cyclists in the order of things.
Old 07-15-18, 04:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I can't imagine going 20 on a sidewalk. There are people trying to get the laws changed in NY, but I'm not sure how successful they will be.
Old 07-15-18, 09:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Just a reminder that this thread is about New York City. I don't think their interpretation of the law is observed in the rest of the state, much less sweeping the nation. I certainly doubt NYC will affect Texas in any way. However, if you have ever been to NYC, the sidewalks almost always have a large number of people and motorized vehicles using them is generally not a good idea.
Old 07-16-18, 01:38 AM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Just a reminder that this thread is about New York City. I don't think their interpretation of the law is observed in the rest of the state, much less sweeping the nation. I certainly doubt NYC will affect Texas in any way. However, if you have ever been to NYC, the sidewalks almost always have a large number of people and motorized vehicles using them is generally not a good idea.
What about regular bicycles with no motor. Are those allowed on the New York sidewalks ? I have seen a few signs in our area (Central California) that say No Bicycles, but that is only for a one block stretch (one city block, around 264 feet), and there are only a very few places with those signs, only in downtown. So cyclists have no choice but to ride in the streets during that stretch, and those areas are quite dangerous to ride. So, I would prefer to walk my bicycle, rather take the risk of getting hit in the busy traffic.
Old 07-16-18, 11:14 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I'm not sure, and I'm unlikely to ride on a sidewalk. Best to find out if you are ever going to ride there.

I have never really wanted to ride my bike in NYC, but there are a lot of bike lanes there.
Old 07-16-18, 03:10 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
We have very few bike lanes or bike paths. Sometimes I have to ride on the sidewalk for my own safety.
Old 07-16-18, 07:53 PM
KraneXL

What about regular bicycles with no motor. Are those allowed on the New York sidewalks ? I have seen a few signs in our area (Central California) that say No Bicycles, but that is only for a one block stretch (one city block, around 264 feet), and there are only a very few places with those signs, only in downtown. So cyclists have no choice but to ride in the streets during that stretch, and those areas are quite dangerous to ride. So, I would prefer to walk my bicycle, rather take the risk of getting hit in the busy traffic.
Streets aren't inherently dangerous. If there is any danger it is due to poorly enforced laws and inadequately trained motorist. Avoiding the road altogether won't help that problem, and sidewalks are for pedestrians.

Last edited by KraneXL; 07-16-18 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-16-18, 09:59 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Streets aren't inherently dangerous. If there is any danger it is due to poorly enforced laws and inadequately trained motorist. Avoiding the road altogether won't help that problem, and sidewalks are for pedestrians.
If you saw the dangerous streets, then you would understand ….. I would prefer to avoid the dangerous situations whenever possible. When I ride on sidewalks, which is quite often, rarely are there ANY people walking on those sidewalks !!! So, what's the big deal … ? I will do what I know that I need to do in order to stay safe. Riding on a narrow, two-way road, with NO shoulder, and cars coming both ways is a very clear >>> Death Trap … !!! So I either get hit and killed, or I ride on the sidewalk …. or sometimes I can quickly hop on over to the other side if there is a shoulder or sidewalk on the other side, or get into a ditch, or somebody's front yard, or driveway …..
Old 07-17-18, 03:35 AM
KraneXL

If you saw the dangerous streets, then you would understand ….. I would prefer to avoid the dangerous situations whenever possible. When I ride on sidewalks, which is quite often, rarely are there ANY people walking on those sidewalks !!! So, what's the big deal … ? I will do what I know that I need to do in order to stay safe.
Unless otherwise posted, it is acceptable to share the sidewalk with pedestrian so long as we don't forget they ALWAYS have the right-of-way.
Riding on a narrow, two-way road, with NO shoulder, and cars coming both ways is a very clear >>> Death Trap … !!! So I either get hit and killed, or I ride on the sidewalk …. or sometimes I can quickly hop on over to the other side if there is a shoulder or sidewalk on the other side, or get into a ditch, or somebody's front yard, or driveway …..
Those types of antics exacerbate the issue and give motorist the impression that cyclist are doing something wrong by using the road. Road cycling takes a bit of intrepidity; so if you don't think you can handle it, better to stay off the roads altogether.
Old 07-17-18, 08:09 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Unless otherwise posted, it is acceptable to share the sidewalk with pedestrian so long as we don't forget they ALWAYS have the right-of-way.
Those types of antics exacerbate the issue and give motorist the impression that cyclist are doing something wrong by using the road. Road cycling takes a bit of intrepidity; so if you don't think you can handle it, better to stay off the roads altogether.
If you feel comfortable riding on socal's roads, do so. There's way too much automobile-inspired carnage for me (witness all the "white bikes"). I ride the sidewalks where necessary too and have for 40+ years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.