Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seat height adjustment on dropper post?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-19-20, 05:13 AM
Hobbit712

Bikes: Gaint Rapid 2, Jamis Dragonslayer Pro, Raleigh C40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

I have a Jamis Dragonslayer with a KS eTen Integra dropper post. It came installed on the bike and works just great. My question however is how do you adjust the saddle height? The dropper post moves fine within the 100mm of travel. I want to adjust the whole assembly up about an inch. So that the top of the travel is the correct height for usual/normal riding. I tried moving the saddle up after loosening the post adjustment. It was fine to start but then it settles back down to the height it was before. Am i missing something here? I would think the whole assembly would move up but maybe am wrong. I tried to look around here for an answer but couldn't find anything specific.

Thanks all.
Old 04-19-20, 06:54 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
Sounds like you just need to tighten up the seatpost clamp a little more. Do you maybe have too much grease on the seatpost, causing it to slip? Was the post "shimmed" for it to fit the seatpost, and maybe the shim fell out when you raised the post?
Old 04-19-20, 08:07 AM
Hobbit712

Originally Posted by freeranger
Sounds like you just need to tighten up the seatpost clamp a little more. Do you maybe have too much grease on the seatpost, causing it to slip? Was the post "shimmed" for it to fit the seatpost, and maybe the shim fell out when you raised the post?
Seat post was tightened pretty well. The shim is a possibility i suppose. Going to have to check it.
Old 04-19-20, 11:25 AM
Hobbit712

I cleaned up the seat post. It was pretty greasy. We will see if the seat position holds on the next ride.
Old 04-19-20, 12:06 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
If the post is slipping down, you may need a different clamp. I had that issue on my bike and switched to a Salsa seat post clamp. I have no issues now. I torque it to 5nm and it holds perfectly. Here is the one I got. They of course make it in different sizes.
https://www.jensonusa.com/Salsa-Lip-Lock-Seat-Collar-1
Old 04-19-20, 05:06 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Use grease if it's an alloy frame. Use carbon friction paste if it's a carbon frame. Carbon frames shouldn't be torqued tighter than 5-6 nM! The friction paste helps it grab at low torque. Too much grease shouldn't make a difference if it's an alloy frame. A bad or wrong clamp could be responsible as mentioned or a shim is missing, also mentioned earlier. If you have to tighten the bolt too much, you may hinder the rise rate of the post. Besides the Salsa clamp, Wolf Tooth's also has a self-centering bolt to help torque better.

EDIT: if the post is the wrong size, the bike could've been assembled with a beer or soda can shim by the shop who was in a pinch (there are nice lipped shims for this purpose) I had this done on an old bike but didn't know it until I went to adjust the post. I found I had shoved the shim down into the tube so it was no longer grabbing the post. Fished it out, wrapped it around, reinserted--perfect fit again.

Last edited by bikeme; 04-19-20 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-19-20, 07:51 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Appears you have not tightened the seat post enough .. Or the dropper is not actually functioning properly. I recently bought a 2018 Dragonslayer Pro from Jenson USA and the e-ten dropper post was defective. Took 2 tries from the LBS to get them to fix it properly. When i first got the bike, the post would only go up 50 mm ( 2 inches) instead of the full 100mm ( 4 inches). It also became mushy after a couple of rides, thus the defective dropper mechanism.

I could raise it to the full extension by hand,but would slowly recede upon sitting on the saddle. Just my observation on the operation of the e-ten post. KS customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I sent them an email 2 months ago and they never responded. Had to pay the LBS to contact them and get the post ifxed.
Old 04-20-20, 06:57 AM
Hobbit712

Originally Posted by phughes
If the post is slipping down, you may need a different clamp. I had that issue on my bike and switched to a Salsa seat post clamp. I have no issues now. I torque it to 5nm and it holds perfectly. Here is the one I got. They of course make it in different sizes.
https://www.jensonusa.com/Salsa-Lip-Lock-Seat-Collar-1
May end up going this route if I cant figure what the problem is. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bikeme
Use grease if it's an alloy frame. Use carbon friction paste if it's a carbon frame. Carbon frames shouldn't be torqued tighter than 5-6 nM! The friction paste helps it grab at low torque. Too much grease shouldn't make a difference if it's an alloy frame. A bad or wrong clamp could be responsible as mentioned or a shim is missing, also mentioned earlier. If you have to tighten the bolt too much, you may hinder the rise rate of the post. Besides the Salsa clamp, Wolf Tooth's also has a self-centering bolt to help torque better.

EDIT: if the post is the wrong size, the bike could've been assembled with a beer or soda can shim by the shop who was in a pinch (there are nice lipped shims for this purpose) I had this done on an old bike but didn't know it until I went to adjust the post. I found I had shoved the shim down into the tube so it was no longer grabbing the post. Fished it out, wrapped it around, reinserted--perfect fit again.
Steel frame. I bought the bike new from JensonUSA so I am really hoping no monkey business with a shim not designed for that purpose.

Originally Posted by Baldy1953
Appears you have not tightened the seat post enough .. Or the dropper is not actually functioning properly. I recently bought a 2018 Dragonslayer Pro from Jenson USA and the e-ten dropper post was defective. Took 2 tries from the LBS to get them to fix it properly. When i first got the bike, the post would only go up 50 mm ( 2 inches) instead of the full 100mm ( 4 inches). It also became mushy after a couple of rides, thus the defective dropper mechanism.

I could raise it to the full extension by hand,but would slowly recede upon sitting on the saddle. Just my observation on the operation of the e-ten post. KS customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I sent them an email 2 months ago and they never responded. Had to pay the LBS to contact them and get the post ifxed.
No issues with he dropper post itself. It works fine. Just the seat post will not stay in place. As mentioned above, I removed some grease from the post and will see if this works.

I am going to call JensonUSA today and see if they can help.
Old 04-22-20, 10:56 AM
Hobbit712

Well removing the excess grease from the post didn't work. Went for a ride today and it slipped right back down! Ughhhh.....I reached out to JensonUSA and filed a warranty claim. I am just waiting to hear back from them. Jenson is contacting Jamis about the warranty.

fingers crossed
Old 05-01-20, 03:25 PM
Hobbit712

Well no joy! Still having the issue with he seat post slipping. I tried centering the clamp a bit but that didn't work.

I have yet to hear back from Jenson on any warranty claim and its been 10 days or so. I called Jenson last Friday just to find out what size the post is so I can possibly buy a recommended one as list above. Even looked at the Surly Constrictor. Jenson rep said he would email by end of his west coast day with an answer. Nothing from him.

I emailed Jamis Monday to see if they could tell me the seat post size....still no answer from them!

I tried calling ES Suspension to see if they might know what they supplied to Jamis. Cant get a person on their phone.

Does any one have any idea what seat post size this might be? My kingdom for a caliper right now!

I going to try some research on a shim I guess. Some above mentioned even using an aluminum piece. From a soda can I suppose?
Old 05-01-20, 03:58 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
This isn't a warranty issue. Get some carbon paste and clean all the grease off the post and from the frame.

If the seatpost is smaller than it is suppose to be you would know it. It would be noticeably sloppy when you inserted it in the frame.