Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Experienced Cyclists Make Better Drivers

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Experienced Cyclists Make Better Drivers

Old 11-07-20, 08:07 AM
Ev0lutionz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Totally agree, with spatial awareness too!
Old 11-07-20, 11:06 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Spacial and situational awareness are the biggies when it comes to longevity on a bike. Anticipating potential road dangers, looking ahead, evaluating risk/benefit is constant, but experience is the real factor in being safe. Been there, done that, are huge teachers. Near misses, over cooking corners, seeing dangerous drivers, dogs, idiots all add up to being a better cyclist and better driver.

(Quick story, a neighbor I have known for 15 years, two doors down, decided he wanted to get into cycling, so he geared up with a nice bike and kit. On his fifth ride with some buddies on a local MUP lost focus for a second, went off and got stopped dead by a fence post. Got knocked out, broken arm and dislocated shoulder with a trip in an ambulance. Six weeks later he moves slowly and looks like s***. He is probably 58 so no spring chicken. He hasn’t said if he will get back n the saddle. I rather doubt it.). Didnt have the nerve to ask about his driving record.

Old 11-07-20, 08:45 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Well... i disagree.
I really dislike drivers like you when I ride. Horns startle me and make me think I am in imminent danger, like the car behind me is swerving into me to avoid a hazard or is trying to warn me about someone about to hit me from the side. I jump every time.

I don't doubt your intentions but you have to understand how it is received.
Old 11-08-20, 09:32 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
Motorists fare best when they are trained as cyclists or motorcyclists.
Exactly my perspective. I cycle and I ride motorcycles. Actually was once a MSF Instructor. Whether I'm on my Guru or Ducati I am alert, scanning and anticipating.
Old 11-08-20, 10:26 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
The difference between mildly annoying and substantially annoying IMO.

If there is traffic, the cyclist already knows that there are cars around- no need to honk.

If there's no traffic, the cyclist will hear the car, often before the driver is aware of the cyclist- no need to honk.
In my experience, most cars are so quiet I can't hear them over the wind noise in my ear. Not counting the vehicles with loud exhausts or off road tires humming on pavement, it's mostly visual for me.
Old 11-08-20, 10:29 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
I, for one, do not mind a quick toot of the horn as a warning I am about to be passed. Now laying on the horn, is rude and aggressive, but a quick toot is just fine with me. I sure don’t do it, because I don’t want to risk startling a rider, but certainly don’t take offense if someone else does it. I usually give them a quick wave out of appreciation, just like those who move into the other lane to give me room while passing. To each their own.

Old 11-08-20, 10:39 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

This whole horn toot versus blast thing.

It may depend on the horns or circuit in the vehicle if the horns can even be controlled to give out a low volume "beep".

My wife's car with American Ford horns, pretty much hit full volume even with an attempted light rap of the horn switch. My Mazda with a set of Hella horns puts out a very low "beep" with a light rap of the horn switch, while the volume increases substantially if I lay on those Hellas. I'm going to say it's the horn switch control of my car that makes this control easier. My car's horn switch, under the airbag, is very light and responsive. My wife's car, not nearly as light and responsive.

I figure that anyone that has a car with a light and responsive horn switch and electrical circuit can finesse the horn in polite little "hellos" to huge "eff offs" rather easily.
Old 11-08-20, 10:44 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by rsbob
Have fewer accidents and tickets than your friends and relatives? Well duh. I haven’t had an accident since 1977 and that was on black ice.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton...h=2c0ef4596f6c

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/...rding-science/

should we hit up our auto auto insurers for discounts?
Funny thing is I rode bikes and motorcycles like a mad man in my youth. Yes, I've had more accidents and tickets than my friends and relatives, but I could do things in a car or on a motorcycle back then that they wouldn't attempt to do.

Nowadays, I'm much more cautious. Comes with aging and getting tired of paying fines and deductibles, I'd say.
Old 11-09-20, 01:35 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
In my experience, most cars are so quiet I can't hear them over the wind noise in my ear. Not counting the vehicles with loud exhausts or off road tires humming on pavement, it's mostly visual for me.
You should get some Cat Ears (they work way better that I expected they might).

https://www.cat-ears.com/
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 11-09-20, 02:05 PM
Skimax

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
This is probably mostly true but I had an incident just the other day which happened because I was in a cyclist mind... There is one segment that I just got a top 10 time in and there is a stop sign in it. The intersection is a T intersection with the segment going straight through and usually there is no one around. I of course usually just blow through this on my bike. I was then just recently driving it in my car and thinking about the segment and my impulse was to just go... caught myself half way through the intersection and I had blown it based on how I ride it on my bike.
Old 11-09-20, 02:59 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Does cycling make me a better driver?
Probably not. If anything, because I think cycling helps slow the age game (or, at least, feels like it), I'm probably more alert and feel better because of biking. And this may translate to better reaction times when driving.
I dunno though.
However, I do give cyclists much more room when I pass them. I always have in the past. Just even more now as I get older.
Old 11-09-20, 03:46 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I think my bicyclist paranoia reflexes saved me and my family (including mother and pregnant wife and then 2 year old) from a deadly head-on collision. I instinctively look for exit strategies and escape routes when I am riding or driving. I wound up on some hapless woman's garden when I got off the road just in time to avoid getting hit at high velocity by an intoxicated speeding driver. I doubt I would have done that without the bicyclist death evasion skill-set.
^^^^^^^^
This.

Check out my tag line. Developed it from riding motorcycles for a number of years.
Old 11-09-20, 04:27 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
By nature, I'm a very defensive person, which translates to my driving as a very defensive driver and someone that never tailgates, which is one of the most dangerous conditions out on the roadways, along with speeding.

I don't think my cycling, which is my primary form of transportation, affects my defensive driving skills one way or the other. However, I do think my excessive time on the bike does make me a more patient driver, which helps me keep the speed down and my distance away from other motorists; so in that sense, it does improve my driving.

I'm always struck when I take my foot off the gas pedal when I see a red light up ahead, there are a ton of vehicles that speed by me, including cars that change lanes from behind me, just to get to the light a few seconds before me
Old 11-10-20, 01:14 AM
F308

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
"80% of drivers are above average."

That being said, alcohol in your bloodstream may be the worst, but next to alcohol is an excess of testosterone. Chances are that riding a bicycle makes a (male) driver a bit more hesitant and cautious, due to a sense of the imminent danger of having your body crushed under 2 tons of steel.