Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trek Marlin 6 from 2x8 to 1x8

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-20, 10:18 AM
Hobbit712

Bikes: Gaint Rapid 2, Jamis Dragonslayer Pro, Raleigh C40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Greetings to the hive mind of this section.

I was looking for a bike to get my daughters into mountain bike riding. I found a used 2020 Marlin 6 in size small on Facebook market. The previous owner had changed out the stock 2x8 to a 1x8 by only changing the front crank to a Sunrace sealed unit. I am looking to expand the range by possibly changing out the rear cassette to a 10 or 11 tooth. The bike has a short cage Altus derailleur and one bike shop I visited said that would not work. They said I would need a SRAM NX to make it work. They also suggested I change the front sprocket to a 30 or 28 tooth and I might bet some better range with out a lot of difficulty or $$$. Another bike shop suggested a Microshift unit might work but he would have to do some research.

He also changed out the original rear wheel. Are there any other options out there you guys might suggest?

Attached are a few pics in case they are helpful.

Thanks all!

Old 12-30-20, 10:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
If you are willing to go back to a 2x8 then ask the original owner if they have the original crank and stuff laying around taking up space? That'll be the best way to get more range between high and low gears.

Otherwise, I think you will go from a decent group to a less than decent group to get more range on the rear inexpensively.
Old 12-30-20, 01:12 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Sunrace lists this crankset to be able to work with 10/11/12 speeds: https://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/fcmx00

The Shimano FH-M475 can handle up to a 10 speed: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...o/FH-M475.html

How much money do you want to put into this bike?

I have been reading and viewing Youtube review video's that the Microshift Advent X system is really good. You can get a new derailleur, shifter and cassette together for a round $130 parts only.

Just an idea.

Edit: Oh yea, add about $20 for a chain. I've seen youtubers that really upgrade or configure the Trek Marlins into a really nice bike. But wow, someone dropped candy into the drivetrain? Pink stuff?

Last edited by travbikeman; 12-30-20 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-31-20, 06:55 PM
Hobbit712

Originally Posted by Iride01
If you are willing to go back to a 2x8 then ask the original owner if they have the original crank and stuff laying around taking up space? That'll be the best way to get more range between high and low gears.

Otherwise, I think you will go from a decent group to a less than decent group to get more range on the rear inexpensively.
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Sunrace lists this crankset to be able to work with 10/11/12 speeds: https://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/fcmx00

The Shimano FH-M475 can handle up to a 10 speed: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...o/FH-M475.html

How much money do you want to put into this bike?

I have been reading and viewing Youtube review video's that the Microshift Advent X system is really good. You can get a new derailleur, shifter and cassette together for a round $130 parts only.

Just an idea.

Edit: Oh yea, add about $20 for a chain. I've seen youtubers that really upgrade or configure the Trek Marlins into a really nice bike. But wow, someone dropped candy into the drivetrain? Pink stuff?
Iride01 and travbikeman...thank you for the responses

The original owner gave me the old crank but it was supposedly a non sealed unit. The new one is a sealed bottom bracket. I am willing to put a few dollars into it if the girls will be more likely to ride it. I got the bike for $500 so pretty good deal I think.

As for the pink stuff, I had a very old bottle of Rock n Roll red that I put on the chain just before I left on vacation. I bought this bike the day before we left.
Old 01-01-21, 09:28 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Just a quick bit of math, but going to a 40t max rear cog instead of the current 34t would be a 16% lower gear (like if you used an 11-40 cassette).

If you went with a 28t front ring in place of the 32t, that would lower over all gearing by 13%.

A little more information would be useful, is there specific concerns with the current gearing? You want more range you say, so is your daughter spending most of her time in the lower gears? A 28t ring would be a cheap and easy way to solve that problem.

Going Deore 1x11 would knock you back probably $150 for the cassette, derailleur, chain, shifter. On my hardtail I have the 11-40 cassette as there's not a lot of hills. Just looking now there's a ton of options for 1x, and not a lot of price difference between the Deore and slx or xt. Geeze just saw that Shimano offers an 11-51 cassette for 11 speed!
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 01-01-21, 12:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobbit712
I got the bike for $500 so pretty good deal I think.
You paid almost new price for it. So depending on availability in your local area and how desperately you needed something................. well you fill in the rest.

I guess this was something for a gift right? So maybe you also gifted the seller as well as daughters.
Old 01-01-21, 04:19 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
You paid almost new price for it. So depending on availability in your local area and how desperately you needed something................. well you fill in the rest.

I guess this was something for a gift right? So maybe you also gifted the seller as well as daughters.
Well he saved about $250 vs walking out of the shop. Not bad.

Hobbit712 I use this website to figure out what I want in drive train gearing.

​​​​​
Edit - huh maybe I should link the site huh? https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios

Last edited by GrainBrain; 01-02-21 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-02-21, 07:27 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Microshift has some interesting stuff out. Sticking with 8-speed, they have the Acolyte group. You may still need a new chain (longer), but it'd stay 8-speed. They also have the 9-speed Advent and 10-speed Advent X groups. I just ordered some advent parts -- the 11-46 cassette, derailleur, and shifter -- and wish I could give you some first-hand experience. Amazon predicts a 2-3 week delivery window (which is better than what my LBSes were saying: out of stock/backordered).

Sunrace also has a few wide-range 8- and 9-speed cassettes that you can buy independently, but your RD-M310 derailleur very likely won't work with anything larger than the 34-tooth sprocket that's on the bike now (maybe up to 36 teeth)...so you'll need to buy a new derailleur anyway.

Each of those Microshift groups listed above is reviewed pretty favorably by media and riders (just spend an afternoon on a YouTube video binge and you'll see all the info on them).
Old 01-02-21, 07:29 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
By the way, Hobbit712 , could you please post a picture of the full driver side crank arm? I may need to replace a crankset on one of my bikes and I like the looks of this 96mm BCD one.

Thx!
Old 01-02-21, 08:04 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
OT: Does it snow in the "God forsaken jungle of SW Florida"?
Old 01-04-21, 09:11 AM
Hobbit712

It was a gift and was a last minute purchase before leaving on vacation the next morning. New ones if you can find them are $669. With an upgraded crank, new seat, new grips and a slightly upgraded rear wheel I still think I got a good price. Especially in todays market. It was a size small which is was the right size as well.

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Well he saved about $250 vs walking out of the shop. Not bad.

Hobbit712 I use this website to figure out what I want in drive train gearing.

​​​​​
Edit - huh maybe I should link the site huh? https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios
Thank you @GrainBrain

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Microshift has some interesting stuff out. Sticking with 8-speed, they have the Acolyte group. You may still need a new chain (longer), but it'd stay 8-speed. They also have the 9-speed Advent and 10-speed Advent X groups. I just ordered some advent parts -- the 11-46 cassette, derailleur, and shifter -- and wish I could give you some first-hand experience. Amazon predicts a 2-3 week delivery window (which is better than what my LBSes were saying: out of stock/backordered).

Sunrace also has a few wide-range 8- and 9-speed cassettes that you can buy independently, but your RD-M310 derailleur very likely won't work with anything larger than the 34-tooth sprocket that's on the bike now (maybe up to 36 teeth)...so you'll need to buy a new derailleur anyway.

Each of those Microshift groups listed above is reviewed pretty favorably by media and riders (just spend an afternoon on a YouTube video binge and you'll see all the info on them).
I was looking at reviews of the AdventX. If I upgrade this one is looking pretty good.

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
By the way, Hobbit712 , could you please post a picture of the full driver side crank arm? I may need to replace a crankset on one of my bikes and I like the looks of this 96mm BCD one.

Thx!

Originally Posted by sweeks
OT: Does it snow in the "God forsaken jungle of SW Florida"?
LOL. Only once in my 30+ years here. This was in NC during vacation. We actually had a white Christmas.

This was also part of my upgrade thoughts. Here in FL my daughters may not need the expanded range. But we do vacation in NC a couple time a year where we actually have hills and mountains.