Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Multiple road bikes - set up with same contact points?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-21, 12:29 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 61 Posts

For those with multiple road bikes - do you set them up with the same contact points (handlebar, saddle, pedals) because you know what you like, or set them up differently because otherwise why have multiple bikes? I have a gravel bike and a titanium road bike, both with similar setups, and I just bought a used carbon road bike (replacing a similar one that was stolen 2 years ago). What prompted my question is the new-to-me bike has a handlebar I don't like, so I'm trying to decide whether to put the same bar on it as I have on the other bikes since I know it works for me, or use this an opportunity to try something different.

The bar I have on the two other bikes is an older Easton anatomic design with a flat section in the drops which I like - feels secure in the drops - but seems to have fallen out of favor, if it ever was popular. I've tried continuous curve bars that I didn't like because I couldn't find a spot where my whole palm felt in contact with the bar, but perhaps I should try again?
Old 05-19-21, 01:10 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
I've never bothered duplicating the make/model of handlebar on multiple bikes, but they all sport the exact same pedal and as similar-as-possible saddles. imho it's way more important to have all those contact points located indentically than it is to have them literally be identical.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 05-19-21, 02:16 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Same saddle height and set back on all.
Handlebar reach and height varies up to around 10mm.
Old 05-19-21, 02:35 PM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I think I am fairly picky about my contact points. I know what I like when it comes to handlebar shape and I have a couple of models that I always go to based on intended use (e.g. gravel bike vs. aggressive road bike). Saddles I experiment a little more with, but they all have the same basic shape (i.e. fairly flat, not too wide, pear-shaped more than T-shaped). For pedals I have one road-type system and one off-road-type system in use at any one time.
Old 05-19-21, 02:47 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I do not have the exact set up on all my bikes, different geometry, bars, stems, etc. But I do have the contact points as close to each other as I can get.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 05-19-21, 03:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
On 5 out of 7, the saddle heights are the same within 3mm, and the setback is the same within 5mm. Handlebar drops are the same within 1 cm, and reach from saddle to hoods are within 2cm.

Then I got 2 vintage bikes with 170mm cranks instead of the 175s the other have, not to mention different saddles and the next size smaller frames, and I've had fiddle a bit. Still working on it, but they have higher saddles, more drop to the bar, and as a result maybe a degree or two of nose-down tilt, which surprised me by actually working, and not making me feel like I'm being thrown at the bars. Who knew?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-19-21, 03:46 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I try to transfer the same exact measurements to each bike.
Old 05-19-21, 03:49 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
This.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-19-21, 04:10 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
For those with multiple road bikes - do you set them up with the same contact points (handlebar, saddle, pedals) because you know what you like, or set them up differently because otherwise why have multiple bikes??
As you will find out, your titanium bike will give a different feel to your carbon bike; and you'll use them in different places (road only, gravel, etc.) but you want yourself to be in pretty much the same position.
Old 05-19-21, 04:13 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
I did put exactly the same saddle on a couple of my road bikes (and the same width & shape saddle on the third). I wouldn't normally put identical components on all bikes, as for me that's part of the point of having multiple bikes: one is 11 speed SRAM, one is 10 speed Chorus, one is 8 speed Record...
Old 05-19-21, 04:25 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
It's impossible for me. One bike is for fair weather going fast and climbing a lot, so has 172.5mm cranks and 38cm bars. Another is the rainy weather bike with fenders, so shorter 170mm cranks reduce toe overlap, plus I will sometimes wear rain boots with a massive difference in stack compared to my road shoes, not to mention run the cleats further forward because Fizik didn't make the holes go back and aforementioned caution around toe overlap. Bars are 40cm and higher up because the conditions I ride it in are harsher, as is the ride compared to first bike.

Then the other bike is a tandem with totally different handling characteristics plus an even longer 175mm cranks that I don't ride enough to change. I have less reach and more stack, wider 42cm bars as well. Finally, it goes on gravel at times, so it's got SPD not PM pedals that I move between the other 2.
Old 05-19-21, 04:31 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
This is what I aim for on just about every build I’ve done for myself. I also try to use parts that are similar in dimensions in order to obtain that ideal fit. But I’m also biased towards parts or brands I’ve used.
I favor handlebars with deep, traditional drops and ended up with the 3T Superleggera Stealth on the Lynskey Helix and the Team version on the SBC 6061.
With the much taller head tube length on the SBC, I not only had to use a stem, flipped -17°, I was lucky enough to find a 0 stack height carbon top bearing cover in my bike misc bins. This was even thinner and lower than a Slam That Stem headset cover.
Similar pedals too on both builds; Look X-Track Race carbon and X-Track race respectively.

Last edited by primov8; 05-19-21 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-20-21, 10:32 AM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My bikes are set up as close as possible with cockpit choice; same frame size, same saddle, stem, seatpost setback, similar bar reach/drop, crank length etc. Minor difference via frame geometry (stack and reach) with one having a less aggressive position by choice.
Old 05-20-21, 04:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
My main road bike and back up road bike have the same bb-saddle height and the same saddle-shifter length.
The frame geometry on them is slightly different, so the saddles are in slightly different locations and one has a 10mm longer stem.

My gravel bike has nearly the same setup as my road bikes. Same bb-saddle height and nearly the same effective reach, but the bars are 10mm taller, I think.
The gravel frame is very similar to my road bikes because I wanted a similar ride. Gravel roads are still roads. I dont need slacked out frame geometey, I just wanted wider tires.

My touring bike is has a totally different setup with a different length crank and taller bar height. Its that way because I happened to set it up and never bothered to change.
The geometry is different from my road/gravel bikes too.

I would not want significantly different road bike contact points because...why? Thst would mean multiple bikes are ill-fitting. That'd be an odd goal to have.
Old 05-20-21, 05:05 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
I have a big bunch of road bikes to ride. Ranging from 58 -62cm frames.

My answer would be - Why?
Are the head tubes of equal height?, if not you might need special stems to achieve the exact point for hands.

You gotta be somewhat close - for comfort on distance rides - but exact = never.
The 58cm 1971 Bottecchia, feels dissimilar to the 61cm 1982 Austro Daimler, which is different from a 60cm 2000 custom Calfee carbon fiber.

Maybe I'm flexible for an old guy or maybe just riding for 35years on many different bikes makes me glad to have a slightly different experience every time out of the stable. Different saddles, different handlebars (tho lots of Cinelli), different hoods/shifters.

But there is no Right or Wrong answer. It's all Preference.
edit: I'm not a rider who is training to race, i don't ride 'off-th-front' of group rides, i own no Strava KOMs, etc.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-20-21 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-20-21, 05:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Saddle height to the pedal at the bottom of it's stroke is pretty consistent between my road bikes. Frame stack is different so the bar drop is different. Reach to the hoods is kinda sorta the same. But the drop on the bars themselves as well as their reach is quite different.
Old 05-21-21, 07:16 AM
seypat

The 3 measurements I use are:

BB straight line up ST to top of saddle.
BB straight line to middle of handlebar.
Front of saddle to middle of handlebar.

What will vary is the frame and stem length. That's on road bikes. That's all I ride.
Old 05-21-21, 04:00 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
The OP's question seems to be about individual components, not measurements. To that, I say it depends on your preferences and how picky you are. It might even depend on your intended uses for each bike (a commuter for dense traffic might have narrower bars, a crit bike might have deeper drops, a climbing bike might have wider bars, etc.).

Originally Posted by seypat
The 3 measurements I use are:

BB straight line up ST to top of saddle.
BB straight line to middle of handlebar.
Front of saddle to middle of handlebar.

What will vary is the frame and stem length. That's on road bikes. That's all I ride.
I would say seat distance aft the BB is important and not so much BB to the bar, but whatever works for you.
I also try to measure from the sit part of the saddle and not in line with the seat tube because one bike might have it positioned more fore/aft than another (different STA), but that's probably making less than 2mm of a difference there.
Old 05-23-21, 09:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Generally yes. I wouldn't want to change much if it is comfortable. Move the fits to each bike but generally will use the same bars and saddle pedals may change but usually will keep a similar theme. If I want change it would be a different drivetrain like 11 speed Di2 on my modern road bike, Fixed gear stuff (Sugino Zen, EAI Gold Medal) on the fixed gear and 7400 on the vintage road bike and a mix of stuff on the touring bike. Though I believe I went with a wider bar on the touring bike for off road stuff but I cannot remember all the widths but usually 42 on most things but I think there it was 44. Granted the vintage road bike is technically running a different bar because my favorite bar is 31.8 and the Cinelli A1 quill is 26.0 and I also wanted something in silver or grey so I swapped ZIPP for Nitto in a similar profile.
Old 05-24-21, 03:05 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Except for bar height which may vary by a spacer or two all of mine are the exact same measurements. My hands are in the drops the majority of the time and I like only classic bend bars with a long reach, not compact.
Old 05-26-21, 12:51 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Pedals I keep pretty consistent bike type to bike type (go Road to Cx or MTB and all bets are off), since that's pretty easy to keep straight. Saddles I keep at least to the same "family" shape-wise. So, if it fits, I sits.

Bars are wide open. I don't bother trying to keep them the same.

Old 05-26-21, 12:58 PM
seypat

Saddles and pedals are the same. That's it.
Old 05-26-21, 09:02 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
For those with multiple road bikes - do you set them up with the same contact points (handlebar, saddle, pedals) because you know what you like, or set them up differently because otherwise why have multiple bikes? I have a gravel bike and a titanium road bike, both with similar setups, and I just bought a used carbon road bike (replacing a similar one that was stolen 2 years ago). What prompted my question is the new-to-me bike has a handlebar I don't like, so I'm trying to decide whether to put the same bar on it as I have on the other bikes since I know it works for me, or use this an opportunity to try something different.

The bar I have on the two other bikes is an older Easton anatomic design with a flat section in the drops which I like - feels secure in the drops - but seems to have fallen out of favor, if it ever was popular. I've tried continuous curve bars that I didn't like because I couldn't find a spot where my whole palm felt in contact with the bar, but perhaps I should try again?
I have the same saddle and bars on my road and gravel bikes. The pedals are different and the geometry of the bikes are different - seat and chain stay length, some of the angles, fork specs etc... But I don't change and my measurements are the same on all my drop bar bikes because my body is the same dimensions when it's on all the bikes. The differences in the bikes come in their handling based on geometry. The other different is tire sizes. My road bike has pretty snappy handling. My gravel bike is plush and more stable to make it easier to handle on inconsistent surfaces.
Old 05-26-21, 09:47 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 61 Posts
Thanks for all the opinions - this is a more interesting discussion than I expected and seems like most like to keep the same measurements between bikes but not always the same specific components. At this point I've got the same shape Easton handlebar on all 3 bikes in all the different levels (EA30,EA50,EA70), similarly-shaped but different saddles, same SPD pedals, and similar measurements other than that the gravel bike has a wider handlebar and the carbon bike is set up for a racier position.