Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What's with Shimano? Do they have a hate on for Canada?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-21, 12:06 AM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts

Just wondering what's going on with them... getting parts here is near impossible now. It's not that they dont exist (due to shortages from covid), I've found the parts abroad, they just wont let distributors send them here. I can, and have been, getting them from China though I'm not sure why that's Shimano's marketing plan. It doesn't make any sense, they're making a deliberate effort to kill the LBS industry but also not letting on line retailers (other than China) get the parts here either. I'm not a business major so I can't understand how not allowing your parts to be shipped or sold helps in any way. What am I missing here?

Last edited by Ryan_M; 09-02-21 at 12:14 AM.
Likes For Ryan_M:
Old 09-02-21, 04:44 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
It's not just Canada. They stopped allowing International sales of their products to the US, as well. The idea seems to be to preventing European online retailers from undercutting the prices of North American retailers and LBS. China doesn't follow anyone's rules and they may not be selling actual Shimano products.
Old 09-02-21, 05:08 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Apparently you're unclear on the worldwide supply chain issues across most industries.
Old 09-02-21, 05:46 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
Just wondering what's going on with them... getting parts here is near impossible now. It's not that they dont exist (due to shortages from covid), I've found the parts abroad, they just wont let distributors send them here. I can, and have been, getting them from China though I'm not sure why that's Shimano's marketing plan. It doesn't make any sense, they're making a deliberate effort to kill the LBS industry but also not letting on line retailers (other than China) get the parts here either. I'm not a business major so I can't understand how not allowing your parts to be shipped or sold helps in any way. What am I missing here?
As noted above, the world wide supply chain is broken, but even in normal times, cycling is not the primary focus for Shimano in Canada. If it was, their Canadian headquarters would be in Quebec with the rest of the major industry players.
As it is, they situated themselves in Peterborough in the Kawartha lakes region, because, well, fishing.
Old 09-02-21, 07:03 AM
1974jim

Bikes: Masi Gran Corsa 1990, Specialized Roubaix 2010

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Apparently you're unclear on the worldwide supply chain issues across most industries.
Factories closed everywhere due to Covid taking out employees. Automation means relatively few employees but with very specific skills that cannot be quickly replaced. Factories are scattered around the world, a problem in one place can create a stoppage somewhere else. Raw materials in the same situation.
Shipping a complete mess. Containers stuck in wrong places, containers waiting to be unloaded in backed up ports,
Every business is making decisions based on prioritizing what is the most profitable.
Meanwhile all their global customers were used to not having to have substantial inventory, which is no longer a viable strategy. So what is available is being snatched up in its entirety by the businesses closest to where the factories are.
Patience.
Likes For 1974jim:
Old 09-02-21, 07:51 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
+1 to everything already mentioned.
Old 09-02-21, 07:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
If it's only Shimano that you are having trouble getting stuff from, then you have more than we do down here.
Old 09-02-21, 08:04 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Welcome to Shimano's brave new world of Geoblocking. I went from buying maybe 500+ bucks of Shimano products a year to effectively zero, because the local range is limited, not in stock and expensive.
Old 09-02-21, 08:26 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
EU laws are different from US and the parts manufacturers can basically require everything go through third party distributors and fix prices which they can't do in the EU which is part of why Europe's prices are better than ours, so Shimano and Sram have banned the sale of their products to the US and by extension, Canada from the EU. Canada's laws must be similar enough to ours to allow this to happen. I've often wondered if this wouldn't be a class action against the manufacturers for not allowing these sales but I'm sure the whole system is skewed in their favor. This is the reason I've switched my bikes to Campy for the nice stuff, its just cheaper to buy and import than buy shimano/sram locally. For the entry level stuff I use microshift or buy from China, microshift has proven every bit as good and often better than the equivalent shimano/sram.
Old 09-02-21, 08:36 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Parts are just not being produced as it once was. Unless it's truly broke, just clean up the old stuff & reuse it.
the whole change they did has put a real bad taste in everyone's mouth. I find myself looking at bicycles & decreasing its value if it's equipped with there shhhtuff. it's probably not going to impact profits much to care, & I am sure my view is just a speck of dust to them. 5+ years out from now will paint a better picture with regard to the changes.
Old 09-02-21, 08:55 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
It is my understanding that Shimano Canada (Peterborough ON?) is basically a satellite office for Shimano USA, And their priority I am sure is USA customers.
Old 09-02-21, 09:06 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by clydeclydeson
it is my understanding that shimano canada (peterborough on?) is basically a satellite office for shimano usa, and their priority i am sure is screwing overusa customers.
fify.
Old 09-02-21, 09:44 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26411 Post(s)
Liked 10,377 Times in 7,205 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
As noted above, the world wide supply chain is broken, but even in normal times, cycling is not the primary focus for Shimano in Canada. If it was, their Canadian headquarters would be in Quebec with the rest of the major industry players.
As it is, they situated themselves in Peterborough in the Kawartha lakes region, because, well, fishing.

...I am reminded of the old joke about a woman needing a man, like a fish needs a bicycle.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 09-02-21, 09:53 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26411 Post(s)
Liked 10,377 Times in 7,205 Posts
...FWIW, the replacement cassette cog sets sold by alternative manufacturers, like Sunlite, work well and seem to be still around, mostly. I started using them when the Shimano ranges in 7 and 8 cassette that I use simply disappeared, long before the Covid supply chain disruption. I'm probably not a good sample customer, though, because once a project bike gets finished by me, there are so many different ones to ride, stuff rarely wears out on one of them.

And I'm stuck back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's as far as what I ride. So Shimano hasn't been interested in my needs for a long time now.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 09-02-21, 10:06 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
... I can, and have been, getting them from China....
Well OK then. Let's keep that quiet lest they cut this remaining channel off.
Old 09-02-21, 11:23 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
. getting parts here is near impossible now.
Would you mind specifying which parts you are having trouble sourcing? Maybe the rest of us can help you. I'm not having any trouble, other than shipping and customs delays.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-07-21, 05:14 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I'm not denying this at all, I said in the OP that I'm not a business major so I don't see how it's good practice to withhold your parts being sold/shipped to a particular country (and it appears multiple countries). Since you know, care to share?

Originally Posted by dsaul
It's not just Canada. They stopped allowing International sales of their products to the US, as well. The idea seems to be to preventing European online retailers from undercutting the prices of North American retailers and LBS. China doesn't follow anyone's rules and they may not be selling actual Shimano products.
Oh wow U.S. too huh? I have read that argument but I can't see it... unless Shimano is taking it upon themselves to challenge our country's import taxation. Also 'helping' LBSs seems suspect. I was looking for a chain that I would have bought but they didn't have it and told me they're not even going to try to order is for me because they won't ship it to him. Not back ordered, unknown when we'll get it, could be a while... but they won't ship it to him. So I ordered a Sram chain, LBS and Shimano both lost out.
Old 09-07-21, 06:14 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
In 1981 I purchased the new Shimano group for A bicycle I put together were I was stationed in Germany. I believe it was an 11 peace set. I shipped stateside several months later and that same group was more expensive than my complete bike I had put together in Germany. Pandemic is not the cause of a huge price difference. In the late 70s some genius convinced our politicians to put a taxation on imported bicycles and parts. I believe it was called the double eighty. The reason for this was to protect the likes of Huffy and Schwinn. My goal when I had my custom touring bike made was to not have anything on it made in Asia. I believe the only part still made in Asia is the crank and I will be replacing it with a 160mm crank arm length one, made in the USA in the near future.
Old 09-07-21, 07:51 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
[QUOTE=Ryan_M;22219784]I'm not denying this at all, I said in the OP that I'm not a business major so I don't see how it's good practice to withhold your parts being sold/shipped to a particular country (and it appears multiple countries). Since you know, care to share?/QUOTE]

You can't ship what you don't have. Shimano is much more concerned with getting product to OEM manufacturers to keep up with new bike production than getting a dozen chains to your LBS.
Container ships are stacked up waiting to unload , then the containers are waiting for trucks to carry them to distribution centers, and again trucks to carry product to final destinations.

Not a business major, I'm in underground construction, I've had 75 fire hydrants on order since May. I might see them by the end of this month. Ordered valves 2 weeks ago, quoted 8-12 weeks instead of the usual 4, anticipated ship date is 10/29. Domestic fitting production is being eaten up by projects that would normally use imports because they are on those container ships, making the supply I can get smaller. All my manufacturers are running full bore, or so they tell me. Just real life experience trying to get the items we need to get pipe in the ground in a 9 month construction season.

https://www.bike-eu.com/production/n...-2021-10139522

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cargo-s...ts-11629229285