Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Bike Computer

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Bike Computer

Old 11-26-21, 02:33 PM
Stateguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Computer

Looking for bike computer
was thinking wahoo or garmin
can any recommend a model number
The video I saw said the garmin difficult to set up (830)
appreciate any input on any device
Old 11-26-21, 03:27 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
What all do you need it to do? I just had to buy one to work with a power meter on my road bike and tried and tried to convince myself to buy the current $300ish Wahoo Bolt but I ended up buying a $150 Lezyne Super Pro. It isn't fancy but even it does way more things than I actually need. I just want to see my data fields and very occasionally some routing, which I haven't even tried in the 6 months I've owned it so far.
Old 11-26-21, 04:41 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
What do you want it to do ?, and what steered you towards a GPS tracking computer ?.

Besides the very same functions available on a $50 Cateye - speed, distance and riding time, the top of the line Garmin Edge 1030 Plus tells you where you are, has more training and performance functions then you can ever figure out to use, and is terrific at getting a navigable route downloaded that gives you turn by turn and a map for riding places you have never been. The navigation functions are to me the big selling point, though a lot of really hard core cyclists make very good use of the performance and training functions. less expensive models can dot the navigation and TBT as well.

I've used 3 different Garmin models, a Wahoo Bolt and a Hammerhead Karoo 2 ((I'm a tech junkie). Garmins are not particualry difficult to get set up, the manuals suck, but there are tons of YT's that tell you how to get it all up and running. Wahoo requires a smartphone for initial setup, which is easier than a Garmin, but after setup the actual device is no easier or harder to use day-to-day. Hammerhead makes the very nice Karoo 2, Android based and a slick setup and user interface, has the best navigation and best screen, with decent functionality, though they roll out new features slowly and still have a few bugs. Garmins are known to be buggy as well but the vast majority of users have no issues. All these cost money. Garmin 530 around $250, 830 around $400, Hammerhead at $400 (best value in my opinion), and 1030 Plus at $600 or more.
Old 11-30-21, 09:06 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
I have a Garmin Edge 530. Was a piece of cake to set it up.