Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Vertical Hang Hitch Mounted Bike Rack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: What is the best vertical hang rack?
Yakima
100.00%
North Shore
0%
Lolo
0%
VelociRAX
0%
Alta
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-21, 01:37 PM
blondebluejay29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
Let me start by saying that I am not an avid cycler. I recently bought my first nice, non-big box store bike - a Trex Fx 1 Stagger, and I love it. I bought my husband the Marin Fairfax 1. Then, I taught my 6 year old daughter to ride on a cheap 20 inch bike, and my 12 year old nephew on a 24 inch bike. I have twin 3 year olds that will be riding soon, so I'd like to be able to carry 6 bikes. We don't live in an area where you can just hop on a trail, so a carrier is a must. We drive a 2015 Honda Odyssey minivan and had a class III, 2 inch hitch installed. It seems my only option for hauling 6 bikes is a vertical rack and that this would be most accommodating with the different sized bikes I need to carry. I am aware of several options: North Shore, VelociRAX, Alta, Lolo, and Yakima. Help! Any opinions on these? First hand experience? I don't want to screw this up with such a big price tag!
Thanks!
Old 08-07-21, 03:34 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
This question was asked in another bike forum so it might help you.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...light=vertical

Plus people here will chime in with their thoughts and suggestions.
Old 08-07-21, 03:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I know Yakima and have never heard of those other brands and was expecting to be disappointed but they all look decent though. I would reach out to all of them and mention what you are carrying. I happened to have Alta open and it looks like they do holders for 20in wheels but you will want to see if any of them can go smaller for the 3 year olds.