Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New pedals stripped crank

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Repair crank with current L pedal (So both pedals Left)
4.00%
Repair crank with new pedals (R + L)
16.00%
New crank with new pedals (R + L)
80.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-21, 04:14 PM
trrrrrev

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, wondering if someone could advise..

I recently bought 2 new pedals for my pinarello bike. They arrived as both LEFT pairs, I didn't realise this until cycling and the R pedal kept unscrewing itself and falling off.
I then tried to replace my old pedal, but this didn't fit in the crank, so I think the crank has been stripped.

I'm not really sure how to proceed, I would guess my options are the following:

1) Repair crank with current L pedal (So both pedals Left)
2) Repair crank with new pedals (R + L)
3) New crank with new pedals (R + L)

Any advice appreciated!
Travis
Old 11-02-21, 04:22 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Wait...how does this happen? What kind of pedals are they? How could you not notice the left pedal was nearly impossible to get into the right crank arm?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-02-21, 04:33 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
As above, the mind boggles, it would take incredible persistence and determination, to say nothing of the torque needed
after 2-3 turns and a strange blindness to the bits of aluminum falling out of the end of the crank for this to have happened.
Best have a qualified bike mech look this over and verify what happened. Best approach would be having the crank
repaired with an insert and the pedals replaced IMO. Scatological terms not available, it is nearly impossible to thread
a L hand thread into a R hand receptacle without so much force being needed that......

Another ? if pedal is cleated then how did the OP ride, the cleat would have been backward on one pedal...
Absent some pix maybe a troll hunt is in order. BMX pedals on a pinarello?

Another thought: a more likely by far scenario than getting a L male thread into a R female crank is that
the OP simply cross threaded the pedal when it was screwed in. This requires significantly higher torque
than properly screwing in the pedal but still a LOT less torque than driving a L male into a R female which
would be extremely difficult to get started as the threads would never engage.

Last edited by sch; 11-02-21 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-02-21, 05:35 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,381 Times in 3,692 Posts
Pic Assist - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/22978260

Old 11-02-21, 05:37 PM
cxwrench

One screwed in fine and the other was a massive effort...and you didn't think that was somehow weird?
Old 11-02-21, 05:43 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts
I think I would bring it to a bike shop and have them repair it. Depending on how bad it is, shouldn't be too bad.

If you do bring it in to the shop, I would clean the bike first.

Good Luck and keep us posted !!!
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 11-02-21, 05:55 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
option 2 or 3.. options 1 you will have the pedal falling out all the time if it is even feasible

and I do not want to arm wrestle with you

Old 11-02-21, 06:14 PM
trrrrrev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hahah thanks for the advice. It took a bit more effort to get the R pedal in, but it still went in... so I didn't question it... until the pedal fell off.

Is rethreading quite a big job then? I think I'll get a fresh set of pedals...
Old 11-02-21, 08:29 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I think I would bring it to a bike shop and have them repair it.
I'm not sure what I would do, but that would be among my last options.
Old 11-02-21, 09:08 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by trrrrrev
Hahah thanks for the advice. It took a bit more effort to get the R pedal in, but it still went in... so I didn't question it... until the pedal fell off.

A 'bit' more effort? C'mon, it doesn't happen like that. You're basically cutting threads with...threads. That doesn't happen easily.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-02-21, 09:15 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Unless the threads were non-standard, the effort of threading a 9/16x20tpi LH into an RH or vice versa would be huge.
Old 11-03-21, 12:28 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts

Rethreading might not be an option as most pedal shafts are steel and it looks like your cranks are aluminum.

The (right) crank arm may need a heli coil or replacement arm I wouldn't trust just a rethreading.

Old 11-03-21, 04:21 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Something in this story is wrong.

I can’t see how it would even be possible to get the wrong pedal screwed in past the first few turns. Pretty sure my wrenches would break or strip where they grab the pedal before the pedal went half way in.

And even if you did manage - through the use of a breaker bar, pipe wrench and a vice, maybe -to screw it in, it would never come loose without the same breaker bar and vice.

Get a new crank arm and set of pedals.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-03-21 at 04:31 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-03-21, 04:53 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I had to helicoil two cranks this summer at the shop for the exact same blunder! Is it something in the food we eat? The air we breathe? The vaccine? LOL no matter what it is, seems to be a thing this year.
Old 11-03-21, 10:33 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts

you've boggled the threads in the crank. so to fix a shop would need to do a helicoil. essentially this is drilling out the boggled threads, retreading for an insert, install the insert which has the correct pedal threads.

looking at you pictures I would suggest finding a replacement cranks set and ensuring that you have a right and a left pedal

Old 11-03-21, 10:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Options 2 or 3 are the best, IMO.

If you repair the crank then take it to someone that knows how to properly insert helicoils. And it needs to be a left threaded helicoil. Some bike shops might not have experience with helicoils nor may they even have a left threaded tap. So if they have to buy the tools, then they'll probably charge you more. So try to find a shop that has done this before and since they'll probably still have the tools it won't cost as much... hopefully. Nor do you really want a noob installing your helicoil.

You might also find a local machine shop or job shop that has experience with helicoils, but they might be more unlikely to have a left threaded tap.

You might find it just as inexpensive to get a new crank if you can find one. Either way you need a left side pedal. Are the people you ordered from going to send you one?

Option 1 you don't want to consider at all unless you always pedal backwards. Normal pedaling will might loosen a right threaded pedal on the left side. I lost the link to a very good motion graphic that explains and shows why.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-03-21 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-03-21, 11:16 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 343 Posts
Happens more than one would think. I've seen them inserted all the way in. Had an English cup in an Italian bb and vise versa too. The power of YT video experts I guess, It's all good, makes me money. We don't do thread inserts, new crank. 27.2 seat posts in a 27.0 seat tubes are fun too.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 11-03-21, 11:21 AM
trrrrrev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I think I will take the bus.
Old 11-03-21, 11:42 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 958 Times in 625 Posts
When working on bikes, NEVER force anything and whenever possible, thread parts by hand (no wrench until final tightening), At this point, find a replacement drive side crank arm, ebay, bike co op, or whatever.

If something is giving you resistance, stop. Don't grab a wrench and force it. Steel pedal spindle into an aluminum crank arm, you have seen what wins. Helicoil repairs work, but are often more costly than replacement.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 11-03-21, 11:50 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked 2,891 Times in 1,647 Posts
As suggested earlier in the thread but not yet confirmed, trrrrrev almost certainly cross-threaded a (correctly threaded) right pedal when installing it into the right crank.
Old 11-03-21, 02:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts

...for an alloy crank like the one you show in the photo, the only repair that will work long term is to bore out the pedal mounting holes a little larger with the appropriate ream and tap, so that either a threadsert or a helicoil can be inserted. The stuff to do it is available on the web, but given what has transpired thus far in your adventure, your best bet is to call around and see if anyone does these repairs local to you.

I have done them for myself, and over at the bike co-op for people locally. I don't do them for other people any more.

Anyway, when you talk on the phone, ask if they do helicoil or threadsert repairs to alloy crank pedal holes. Without that, I fear your crank is more aluminum recycling fodder.
Old 11-04-21, 08:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Options 2 or 3 are the best, IMO.

If you repair the crank then take it to someone that knows how to properly insert helicoils. And it needs to be a left threaded helicoil. Some bike shops might not have experience with helicoils nor may they even have a left threaded tap. So if they have to buy the tools, then they'll probably charge you more. So try to find a shop that has done this before and since they'll probably still have the tools it won't cost as much... hopefully. Nor do you really want a noob installing your helicoil.

You might also find a local machine shop or job shop that has experience with helicoils, but they might be more unlikely to have a left threaded tap.

You might find it just as inexpensive to get a new crank if you can find one. Either way you need a left side pedal. Are the people you ordered from going to send you one?

Option 1 you don't want to consider at all unless you always pedal backwards. Normal pedaling will might loosen a right threaded pedal on the left side. I lost the link to a very good motion graphic that explains and shows why.
Hmm, just realized I got the OP backwards and thought the left pedal was the issue with two right pedals.

None of you chastised me for this! What's becoming of BF? Is this some new tolerance for the mistakes of others or are y'all just use to me rambling incoherently about absurd hallucinations I have? <grn>
Old 11-04-21, 09:20 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

None of you chastised me for this! What's becoming of BF? Is this some new tolerance for the mistakes of others or are y'all just use to me rambling incoherently about absurd hallucinations I have? <grn>
...I missed it because I was listening to "Rage Against the Machine."
Old 11-04-21, 02:43 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I find it hard to believe, as I am sure many others do, that a L threaded pedal was 'accidentally' threaded into a R handed thread crank. Unless I see a picture of two identical pedals both with L threads I don't believe it. Much more likely the R pedal was just not threaded in straight and was not fully threaded in, leading to it pulling out the threads of the crank.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 11-04-21, 03:36 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I find it hard to believe, as I am sure many others do, that a L threaded pedal was 'accidentally' threaded into a R handed thread crank. Unless I see a picture of two identical pedals both with L threads I don't believe it. Much more likely the R pedal was just not threaded in straight and was not fully threaded in, leading to it pulling out the threads of the crank.
^This^
Likes For cxwrench:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.