Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do Cyclists Have a Negative Reputation?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do Cyclists Have a Negative Reputation?

Old 12-13-18, 08:36 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
As a runner who has recently started cycling, it's nice to see that you guys argue about the same stuff. There's always a few threads going about what constitutes a "runner".
Old 12-13-18, 08:53 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
There's always a few threads going about what constitutes a "runner".
Someone who works on the floor of a Futures Exchange
Old 12-13-18, 12:06 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2 wheels and pedaling … cyclist. *shrugs* I ride really slow in steep technical single track. Does my speed eliminate me from being a cyclist when compared to a roadie going 30km/hr? Or a bmxer who rides the halfpipe full time, or the old guy who pedals around all day every day collecting cans and bottles?

As for negative, sure even in Vancouver BC where it sometimes feels like everyone rides in some fashion there are negative feelings. Towards people using the incorrect road making it impossible to pass during rush hour. To the cyclists who speed on sidewalks instead of the many roads with bike lanes. To the bmx kid who hucks a drop and almost runs people over laughing. To biking delivery peeps who tend to ignore every law created.

But I don't tend to a find a general "I hate cyclists" its a "I hate when cylists do this this or this". Responsible cyclists just don't get the credit. Its like of like working in IT, when you do a good job no one says boo, when something goes wrong people yell at you

thanks
Old 12-13-18, 02:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
"Critical Mass ". political protest rides did bring out the Jerk in some young guys.. once in a group..
Old 12-13-18, 04:29 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Its like of like working in IT, when you do a good job no one says boo, when something goes wrong people yell at you
When something goes wrong with IT it's normally because the IT technician's been messing with it
Old 12-13-18, 05:52 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
When something goes wrong with IT it's normally because the IT technician's been messing with it
Just not always the one that is getting **** on

Deflect and blame google, amazon, apple or Microsoft. Its the IT way.
Old 12-13-18, 11:41 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Cyclists = Roadies
Old 12-14-18, 04:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Cyclists = Roadies
Sez who?
Old 12-14-18, 10:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Cyclists = Roadies
I suspect that most cyclists, i.e. people who ride bicycles, never use the term "roadies", unless they are talking about the behind the scenes guys who work at rock concerts.

"Roadies" is a construct of the bicycling enthusiasts and BF posters who give a dang about bicycling for sport with their pals in the club on Wednesday nights and/or the weekend.
Old 12-14-18, 05:02 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I suspect that most cyclists, i.e. people who ride bicycles, never use the term "roadies",
Years before I got into serious cycling and was just a casual MTB'r at the weekends I was fully aware of the term and think most people generally don't like them as SOME of them have absolutely no regard for other road users at all.
I suspect that most cyclists avoid the term "Roadies" due to this and the damage SOME of them do to the rest of the cycling fraternity are perceived when they ride responsibly ... in a considerate manner to others.
Some of "The Roadies" are a complete embarrassment to anybody else that rides a bike as they have no consideration for anybody else.

This is absolutely not a tar on all roadies with the same brush so if you're a responsible rider it's definitively not aimed at you and if any "Roadie" reads that comment and takes objection you're potentially one of them or you wouldn't have any reason to complain.

T e some in capitals is simply to reiterate it's definitely not aimed at all.
Old 12-14-18, 05:57 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
I've been commented about in a staff meeting that I looked like a homeless riding to work. (wearing a helmet, reflectororized gloves, yellow jacket, equiped with flashing head and tail lights, etc.Go figure?) I've also been asked a few times if I had a DUI. But in general, most conversations usually revolve about how far I ride to work and how long it takes.

Most of the negativity I encounter are impatient drivers that threaten my life with their reckless maneuvers.
Old 12-14-18, 06:10 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Are we still at it?

'Roadies' are a subset of 'cyclists, which encompasses all who ride a bike, as per my previous post...but it could have been in another thread where I asserted it.
Old 12-14-18, 06:16 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind
I've been commented about in a staff meeting that I looked like a homeless riding to work. (wearing a helmet, reflectororized gloves, yellow jacket, equiped with flashing head and tail lights, etc.Go figure?) I've also been asked a few times if I had a DUI. But in general, most conversations usually revolve about how far I ride to work and how long it takes.
Unfortunately, most homeless people couldn’t afford the safety gear and equipment that we take for granted as necessary and standard.

Alas, I also feel that most Americans don’t understand that commuting on a bicycle is a life choice based in a desire to be healthier, or reduce fossil fuel use, or just to reduce dependence on motor vehicles. I think the assumption many people might make is that the rider has to travel by bike, not that he/she wants to.
Old 12-14-18, 06:23 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
Years before I got into serious cycling and was just a casual MTB'r at the weekends I was fully aware of the term and think most people generally don't like them as SOME of them have absolutely no regard for other road users at all.
I always thought a roadie (in the context of bicycling) was anyone who was on a road bike. Although I'm sure some such individuals ride irresponsibly, I can't say I ever see it. Students on hybrids and mountain bikes are the only annoying cyclists I run across in these parts. I understand there are complaints of excess speed on MUPs by those on road bikes, but I never ride them and I don't know why faster riders would otherwise be a concern.
Old 12-14-18, 06:51 PM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
If you're riding with your hoodie pulled over your head, have a twelve pack in the basket hanging from the handlebars, and smoking a cigarette while peddling your bike...... You're not going to be riding for your health...... That's been my observation anyway...

Jerry
Old 12-14-18, 08:15 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24

Alas, I also feel that most Americans don’t understand that commuting on a bicycle is a life choice based in a desire to be healthier, or reduce fossil fuel use, or just to reduce dependence on motor vehicles. I think the assumption many people might make is that the rider has to travel by bike, not that he/she wants to.
Speaking of assumptions, some BF enthusiasts don't understand that commuting on a bicycle is NOT necessarily a life choice based on a desire to be healthier, nor a desire to reduce fossil fuel use, nor just to reduce dependence on motor vehicles.

Get over yourself, some people ride a bike for their commute because they can't afford other means, some people ride a bicycle for their commute because they like to ride their bicycle, and are not making a "life choice".
Old 12-15-18, 02:01 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Do cyclists have a bad reputation?
Of course we do.
Thanks to those idiots who run stoplights and stop signs, weave unexpectedly in traffic, or ride fast on the sidewalk with no concern or consideration for pedestrians, and in general ride unsafely.

When you're riding a bike in the street, the laws consider you a vehicle, and you are subject to the same rules of the road as any car.
If you are on the sidewalk, you are considered a pedestrian, and have to follow the rules for pedestrians.
Old 12-21-18, 05:07 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
That's not quite true, here. Cyclists don't have to abide by the same laws as a registered motor vehicle, we have a multitude of exemptions. Unfortunately these can be, and sometimes are, used also against the constraints of common sense and decency.
Old 12-24-18, 05:19 AM
slowrevs

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Life Choices" come in many flavors...

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Get over yourself, some people ride a bike for their commute because they can't afford other means, some people ride a bicycle for their commute because they like to ride their bicycle, and are not making a "life choice".
The above statement is true, but more and more people, especially younger riders are adopting bikes as commuting vehicles because of the positive environmental consequences. Their savings on gas, insurance, parking, repairs and car payments are big time and a bonus. Advances in modern bike technologies make bike commuting even easier. Most of those I have met who are married have one car for the family, though both adults may commute by bike. Many of the singles use alternate forms of transport such as trains, buses, Uber, Lyft and taxis. Their jobs pay them plenty of money.

People who drive around in trucks without payloads or SUVs without occupants are making destructive life choices by annually spewing tons of CO and CO2 into the atmosphere. Their justification is "they can afford them." In most cases, the reality is driving such vehicles makes them feel "dominant." That's a life choice, too.
Old 12-24-18, 09:10 PM
timsmcm

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been a serious road rider since the mid 70s. I think of myself as considerate driver of my car and also my bicycle. I have over the years have been harassed many many times while riding my bike. I live in deep east Texas. There is a lot of backwards thinking that I as a cyclist do not belong on the same road or as a matter of fact even on the shoulder of the road. But I also see many cyclist behaving in ways that I thought would bring shame to me if I acted like they were. I was in my car riding around whiterock lake in Dallas. There is bike and hiking paved lanes. There were 10 or so cyclist riding on the main road riding really slow taking up the road and holding up traffic. They were going less than 10 mph. Was like that for more than 20 minutes. They were not considerate to others at all. Left a bad taste in my mouth and I am a cyclist.