Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Guy With a Few Questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New Guy With a Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-18, 03:48 PM
corn on the cog 

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh Int'l, ~1973 Motobecane Grand Record, ~1980 Fuji S-12-S, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ericzamora
Do it!!! lol
Well thank you then!
Old 12-21-18, 06:49 PM
Cheseldine

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 21 Posts
Well shoot, I was going to look at that blue Trek 400 this weekend, but it sold just today. I guess the hunt continues!
Old 12-21-18, 07:50 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheseldine
Well shoot, I was going to look at that blue Trek 400 this weekend, but it sold just today. I guess the hunt continues!
When you find a good bike that you really like and it isn't too expensive, it pays to jump quickly! (There will be others.)
Old 12-21-18, 09:14 PM
Cheseldine

Originally Posted by jimmuller
When you find a good bike that you really like and it isn't too expensive, it pays to jump quickly! (There will be others.)
Ya, I would have taken a look at it sooner, but it was in the next state and about a 3 hour 1 way drive so it had to wait till the weekend. Still a bit disappointing though.
Old 12-24-18, 12:59 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
A bike with a decent frame.

Ya, I would have taken a look at it sooner, but it was in the next state and about a 3 hour 1 way drive so it had to wait till the weekend. Still a bit disappointing though.
A decent frame will probably have decent components. It's surprising that even an old steel derailleur that is rusted and held together with rivets will usually work just fine. Get a nice lugged frame that sits on alloy rims and you can pretty much make anything you want out of it. My favorite touring bike was a Univega Grand Touring. I added bar end shifters and a decent triple crank with a granny (low) smallest ring and it was far better than the expensive touring bike I traded "up" to get later. It was an entry level touring bike and was stiff enough to handle all my gear and me comfortably. Univega, Nishiki, Trek, Cannondale, are all bikes you can't go wrong with. I like Raleigh but often they have an odd British thread that makes them incompatible with easily attainable upgrades. Yes you must act quickly to secure a good deal but some nice older bikes will hang around and be available for you. Get one that fits!! Do not compromise in that area. Happy riding.
Old 12-24-18, 11:51 AM
slowrevs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OEM vs component parts today?

Originally Posted by Classtime
I think Suntour components are temperamental while Shimano 105 and or Shimano 600 is not.
AND I would get a race bike for my first road bike.
Race bikes are not $300. OEM 80's Suntour shifters, derailleurs, and freewheels were probably better than Shimano components of the same era, not tempermental at all. Once properly adjusted, solid as a rock. The company went upside down and the brand name was acquired by a Taiwanese company, IIRC. Pity. Their stuff had a lot to recommend it. Can't get replacement parts for much of the above, so replace components with appropriate Shimano pieces. You don't need $600 shifters or brake handles on an 80's road bike.
Old 12-27-18, 09:58 AM
Cheseldine

Well folks, here is the newest update: Over the holiday my uncle let me know that he had an old bike in the shed I could have for free if I wanted it. The bike is a Silver Motobecane Super Mirrage with chrome fork ends and what appear to be hand painted gold lines where the tubing meets.It does not appear to be very high end, but should be a fantastic first bike project. It has the following:

Silver Frame with chrome tipped forks and gold paint around joints
Tubing sticker says 1020 forge? and stays (sticker is a bit roughed up) - I am assuming this is a lower end tubing
Shifters on the stem
Someone replaced the stem and seat post in the past with very tall ones - I'd need lower
Weinmann 610 Vainoueur 999 brakes
27" alloy unmarked wheels
Old tires need to be replaced
Rear derailleur marked Suntour V-GT Luxe
Bars look like they were wrapped in old black electrical tape
Cables seem pretty stiff and worn out

Any idea how hard parts will be to track down for this bike? Are many other parts compatible if some need swapping?

It has quite a few little chips in the paint that are dark with surface rust - do any of you know a good way to clean these up?

Thanks!

Last edited by Cheseldine; 12-27-18 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-27-18, 01:01 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
You could just fill in the chips with paint on a toothpick (without overlapping the chip's edges). Unless you live in a very wet environment the rust shouldn't reappear any time soon.
Keeping the paint "repairs" to as small of a footprint as possible will ultimately give the best chance of the defects appearing invisible.
"Scabbing" a paint patch out beyond the edges of the chip only makes the defect bigger and more noticeable!
Old 12-27-18, 01:13 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts

Motobecane Super Mirage
My go to rust remover now.
https://www.evapo-rust.com/how-to-videos/
Little heavy, but great riding bike.
Old 12-27-18, 01:16 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Well folks, here is the newest update: Over the holiday my uncle let me know that he had an old bike in the shed I could have for free if I wanted it. The bike is a Silver Motobecane Super Mirrage with chrome fork ends and what appear to be hand painted gold lines where the tubing meets.It does not appear to be very high end, but should be a fantastic first bike project. It has the following:

Silver Frame with chrome tipped forks and gold paint around joints
Tubing sticker says 1020 forge? and stays (sticker is a bit roughed up) - I am assuming this is a lower end tubing
Shifters on the stem
Someone replaced the stem and seat post in the past with very tall ones - I'd need lower
Weinmann 610 Vainoueur 999 brakes
27" alloy unmarked wheels
Old tires need to be replaced
Rear derailleur marked Suntour V-GT Luxe
Bars look like they were wrapped in old black electrical tape
Cables seem pretty stiff and worn out

Any idea how hard parts will be to track down for this bike? Are many other parts compatible if some need swapping?

It has quite a few little chips in the paint that are dark with surface rust - do any of you know a good way to clean these up?

Thanks!
Nice bike. The Super Mirage wasn't high-end but it wasn't low-end either, a solid mid-range bike worthy of being ridden everywhere. The 1020 steel is decent too, certainly not "gaspipe". The thing about frame steel is this - the "better" steels are have higher tensile strength but all steels have the same elastic properties. So to make a lesser-steel strong enough the tubing is a bit thicker. That makes it a bit heavier and a bit stiffer. Depending on your weight, stiffness may be good, and the greater weight is insignificant for most riding. The chrome helps it resist rust and looks pretty. The lug lining is cosmetic but makes it look pretty. Anyway, Motobecane was making very good bikes back then. So that is a great frame to start with. Parts are available though you may need French sizes and threads. The VGT-Luxe read derailleur is a keeper, smooth, accurate shifting, and bombproof. Were it my bike, I'd ditch the stem-mounted shifters for downtube shifters.

With new Koolstop brake pads and new cables and housings with Teflon lining (if it doesn't have them already) those brakes will stop just fine. Alloy wheels are good but you will want to check how true they are and how even the spoke tension is. 27" tires are not as prevalent as 700c but several good brands are still made. You can replace the wheels if you wish but do save the hubs and maybe the rims too, if only so that one of us can use them! If I remember right, it would have come with brake "safety levers" (a.k.a. turkey levers). Some of us would remove them. They work okay but take up some of the lever travel and require that your brakes be adjusted close to the rims and the rims be true. Be aware that cable housing these days is different for brakes vs. shifters. Your LBS (local bike shop) may try to sell you derailleur housing, but the greater stiffness isn't necessary for friction shifters. In fact it can be a liability. You can wrap the bars yourself. The stem and handlebar stem may go down further if they are at their highest positions.

That s a great bike project. (We need pics!)
Old 12-27-18, 01:58 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Pic assist:

Lots to work with here!

And if a 700c conversion doesn’t pan out, SwiftTire makes a 27x1-3/8” tire. That’s only about a 34mm tire, but nothing to sneeze at. With 700c I’d be surprised if you couldn’t fit a 38 or even 42mm tire in there. 38+fenders would be comfy.

Old 12-27-18, 03:04 PM
Cheseldine

Thanks for the help with the pics Dave! I believe it is a 1976 (the First Super Mirage year) as in '77 they added 2 stripes to the seat tube.

It is covered in a layer of thick dust that I'll need to clean off before I can really ascertain condition. Does the front derailleur look original?

I'd like to get rid of some of the extras on this bike, like the reflectors, plastic cassette disc, and the additional brake levers.Do people typically remove the outer, protective chain ring guard?
Old 12-27-18, 04:38 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
The front derailleur is likely original. The compe-v is a good derailleur and often paired with the VGT- luxe. I’d personally leave the outer chain guard on, ymmv. I’d agree with ditching the extra stuff, reflectors and plastic disk. If your going to ride at night, make sure you have something that makes you visible though!

That bicycle is very nice! That really helps out your budget.

Last edited by mkeller234; 12-27-18 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 07:59 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by mountaindave
...With 700c I’d be surprised if you couldn’t fit a 38 or even 42mm tire in there.
I'd be surprised if you'd want to fit a 38 or even a 42mm tire in there! Which is to say, not all of us are enamored with wider tires. What is on there now? 1-1/8" maybe? That's equivalent to a 28mm. Or 1-1/4", equivalent to 32mm?

I'd like to get rid of some of the extras on this bike, like the reflectors, plastic cassette disc, and the additional brake levers.Do people typically remove the outer, protective chain ring guard?
As @mkeller234 said, some of us would remove the chainguard, but some don't. That crank looks good with it, and it does serve a purpose or two. We usually remove reflectors and such, but you do need to be visible if you ride at night. I don't know the laws where you live but here, and I suspect it is typical, state law requires bicycles to have pedal reflectors or the rider wearing reflective ankle bands from half-hour after sunset to half-hour before sunrise. I'm pretty sure it also requires front and rear reflectors, if not light. (I commute by bike, 35 mile round trip, until the snow falls, so I ride a lot at night. I am always amazed and frightened by the number of cyclists I see on the Minuteman Bikeway at night with no lights at all, or a red light in front which looks like a taillight. And pedestrians who never learned to wear light colored clothing. But I digress.)

That "plastic cassette disc" is properly called a spoke protector, and often called a dork disc (or dork disk). Your bike has a freewheel, not a cassette. It unscrews from the hub, then the spoke protector can be removed. You do need the proper tool to remove the freewheel. The dork disc doesn't protect the spokes so much as prevent the rear derailleur from accidentally getting caught in them if it isn't adjusted right. Trust me, that's something you really really don't want to experience unless you like bouncing on the ground, which most of us don't.

You have yourself a really nice C&V bike, one I could certainly happy with if it was the only bike I had. Keep up posted with your progress.
Old 12-27-18, 10:27 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
I prefer chrome dork discs - if you’re going to be a dork, go big or go home!

I’m not a huge fan of reflectors, but those are sort of awesomely dorky too. I have this giant, almost phallic reflector on my rear fender. I almost didn’t reinstall it after thoroughly cleaning the fender one day but decided it’s überdorkiness should be preserved. I was glad I did when my rear taillight gave out on my morning commute to the gym at O-dark-thirty. Having been scared out of my wits by bike ninjas multiple times, i do drivers the courtesy of being visible at night.
Old 12-28-18, 09:21 AM
Cheseldine

Well, I've started to dig into it a bit. Last night I pulled apart the rear brake to clean out decades of built up grime. While it was apart I hit the components with a bit of Mother Mag Polish on a rag and was quite pleased to see them take on an almost mirror-like sine - a large improvement over the dark gray-ish silver they were.

The seat post also came out very easily and the clamp appears to be in excellent shape - it is perfectly round and does not ever appear to have been over tightened. The seat post had a little piece of what appears to be foil paper wrapped around it - I assume this was either to act as a shim or to prevent it from being seized.
Old 12-28-18, 05:07 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Looks like a good bike to start with. Doesn’t appear to be much rust, mostly dirt, which is nice. You won’t really have to replace anything right off the bat to get it rideable.

I always replace the the chain and tires on an old bike that’s been sitting a while. Use any ‘8-speed ‘ chain; my go-to is the KMC Z-51, it’s inexpensive and plays well with mix-and-match drivetrains.
I have a 27” bike too, and while there aren’t a whole lot of choices, there are some good tires like the Panaracer Paselas and Continental UltraSport that can be found easily.

I would, though look in to a new bar and stem, though. That stem is way too tall, you can see how the brake cables are pulled down tight where they come off the levers. 1” stems are also inexpensive and easy to find in a wide variety of lengths and angles.
Finally, if you’re changing the stem, you might want to install a wider bar. The bar you have on there is probably a 40cm, since that’s what they all were back then. Going by a rough estimate of the size of the frame (57-58cm). A 42 or 44cm bar will improve comfort and control over the original.
Old 12-29-18, 01:21 AM
Cheseldine

Rear Brake
I got the rear break pulled all apart and cleaned up.

Last edited by Cheseldine; 12-29-18 at 01:28 AM.