Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Read derailleur compatability

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-31-21, 08:19 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts

I know there are (limited) lists available out there that give some of this info. But...is there a way to visually compare, or a measurement of the derailleur itself that can tell you if a rear derailleur is compatible, or interchangeable with an indexing shifting system?

Dan
Old 05-31-21, 08:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Mount it on the bike and see if it works. That is one visual method. The other visual method is to read the manufacturer specs.
Old 05-31-21, 09:31 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’d say - under realistic conditions - no.
Unless you recognize the derailer by design, and by experience or previous knowledge can say what it’s compatible with.
Since the error is usually cumulative, adds up from gear to gear, it really has to be pretty darn close for a random derailer to line up with each sprocket across the width of the cassette. Similarly, this is why measuring to determine travel, pull ratio etc is somewhat difficult. Merely a ruler is unlikely to be accurate enough.
Old 05-31-21, 09:54 AM
VicBC_Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
It sounds like you have the derailleur 'in hand' and want to test it?
Originally Posted by Iride01
Mount it on the bike and see if it works.
Though it may sound like a flippant answer, I agree with this.
You'd have to make a pretty accurate testing jig/fixture to measure the lateral movement of a derailleur jockey wheel for a given amount of cable pull.

Measuring the cable pull of an indexing shifter is easier - there's info on line showing how to make a test jig with a cheap digital caliper to do that. Even with that, the shifter has to be mounted on a spare bar or piece of pipe.

Not your question, but :For 'non-standard' combinations of shifter and derailleur, one solution is to move to old-style friction shifters, I guess. I don't think I have the skill to shift a 9+ speed cassette without indexing.
Old 05-31-21, 10:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I know there are (limited) lists available out there that give some of this info. But...is there a way to visually compare, or a measurement of the derailleur itself that can tell you if a rear derailleur is compatible, or interchangeable with an indexing shifting system?

Dan
For Shimano, anything that isn’t marked “Dynasys” is cross compatible from 5 speed to 9 speed (10 speed for road bikes). All Dynasys components are clearly marked but, if all else fails, look at the model number and check with Shimano.

Shimano and SRAM aren’t cross compatible at all.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 05-31-21 at 10:12 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-31-21, 04:13 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 740 Posts
This has the specs for most derailleurs to compare with. You might want to ask here as well just to confirm if you find something on the list that will work as another poster corrected an error he found on one of the derailleur specs. Bicycle Cassettes & Drivetrains Chart - Google Sheets
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-31-21, 06:37 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
That is a pretty good list, Cranky. IRT the suggestions above to just “put it on the bike and see if it works.” Yeah...but if I’m buying the derailleur at a swap meet, for example, I can really just put it on to see if it works.

Dan
Old 06-01-21, 09:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If you are buying at a swap meet you better know that it will do what you want. Why don't you just learn how to understand the specs and where to find them?

For Shimano stuff I go here: https://si.shimano.com/#/

There are all sorts of useful stuff. Many times just putting the part model number in the search box gets you an SI that will have the pertinent specs. And if you need to know compatibilities there are docs for that too, but sometimes a little confusing. And they understandably don't tell about mix and match frankenstein stuff.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-01-21, 11:40 AM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The specs of all the indexing shifters are available online. To test derailleurs I have lightly clamped a pair of vice grips on the shifter cable, measured to a stationary point with digital calipers, shifted across a few gears and measure again and then calculate the cable pull needed. This isn't going to catch the older derailleurs that have variable movement or the old Accushift Suntour that I understand didn't have consistent pull. And you are not going to be able to do it at a bike show.