Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Seriously skilled motorcycle drivers in the Tour

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-21, 07:21 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts

Watched stage 9 being ridden in the rain and took notice of a camera bike with the camera man standing up, big ol' TV camera on his shoulder going around a curve in the rain and realized just how skilled the drivers are. Does anyone know where they get these guys from?
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 07-05-21, 07:38 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I've often wondered the same thing. It's not just the motorcycle rider, it's the people running the cameras perched precariously on the back too. In the rain, the sleet, slick roads, rough cobbles, dusty dirt roads, mountains, twisty city streets. These folks are at the top of their game also.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 07-05-21, 07:59 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I don't know the hiring process but as someone who's been to the track many times I can tell you that your average motorcycle rider wouldn't make it up or down one mountain at those speeds without crashing. Very high skill level. I know a lot of those guys are former professional bike racers.

I think most of them are riding three wheelers now, though.

Yamaha Niken becomes official Grand Tour support bike

h=444&w=740&la=en&hash=E711CD60FBDC00EDAD319F0F7F15013BE0523F8E
Old 07-05-21, 09:47 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
I would guess most of them are locals who grew up riding bicycles/scooters/motorbikes in the mountains. You see a lot of teenagers hooning around on scooters in those places, zipping in and out of the traffic like they have a deathwish!
Old 07-08-21, 06:12 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
I don't know if any of them are available online, but Maynard Hershon wrote some great articles about his Tours on the back of a press moto. Maynard was also a motorcyclist and Bay Area motojournalist back when, and would wax Hershonian about the skills / cojones / insanity of his pilots.

Those cats are studs, full stop.

--Shannon
Old 07-09-21, 07:10 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Good point on the professional racers being tapped for Tour duty. Never would have thunk that, but if anyone can pilot a bike with exceptional skill it is someone that makes a living racing one. I've been riding motorcycles since 1978 and in no way would I consider myself skilled enough for Tour duty!
Old 07-10-21, 01:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the motorcycle pilots had backgrounds in enduro and observed trials competitions. Many bicycle races have some pretty sketchy terrain and dirt motorcycle racers have seen it all before. Experience at relatively "slow" speed (for a motorcycle) handling would be a plus.
Old 07-10-21, 02:26 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Everyone should read about the history of motorcycle pacemakers. "Derny". In the early 20th century a lot of them died.

Charles Péguy, fatal accident in 1907 at Spandau track in Berlin.

Old 07-10-21, 02:58 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
They could very well be off duty M/C Cops. Motorcycle Officers go through some very intensive rider education and training and they are especially good at slow speed maneuvering with heavy bikes loaded with equipment. The company I work for allows the local LEO's to use a huge part of our parking lot for training a few days each month and they set up some incredibly difficult exercises for practice. I've been an avid motorcyclist for decades and sometimes play around on their training courses after they've left for the day. Making your way through those cones without a miss It's MUCH more difficult than it looks lol.,
Likes For BHG6: