Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

light weight tired = devil

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

light weight tired = devil

Old 09-04-21, 09:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
used the heavy ugly thick slicks for years....bombproof
saving grams is great but flats bite....
Ignore my prior comment that you seem like a Vittoria Randonneur type of cyclist.

You are a Tannus Airless type.
Old 09-05-21, 07:58 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Other threads on on tap:
"I was dropped by the group so I will never ride with people again"
"My gel didn't last as my source of calories for the whole day - I will never eat that again."
"I filled my tank up with gas to get to the event that was 500 miles away and it ran out before I got there. I will never drive this car again."
"I was told my chain is worn out. Based on my complete lack of experience and knowledge I believe it should have lasted longer. I will never use this chain again."
"After 5 seconds of chewing Fruit Stripe Gum there was no more flavor. Never again.".....well that one checks out I guess.
Mmmmmmmm. Fruit Strip G….flavor’s gone.
Old 09-06-21, 12:52 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Well who will admit to wearing the tattoos?
Old 09-06-21, 07:52 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Pretty sure they still make it. It's delicious for about 3 seconds.
https://www.ferraracandyshopusa.com/...it-stripe.html

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-06-21, 07:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Other threads on on tap:
"I was dropped by the group so I will never ride with people again"
"My gel didn't last as my source of calories for the whole day - I will never eat that again."
"I filled my tank up with gas to get to the event that was 500 miles away and it ran out before I got there. I will never drive this car again."
"I was told my chain is worn out. Based on my complete lack of experience and knowledge I believe it should have lasted longer. I will never use this chain again."
"After 5 seconds of chewing Fruit Stripe Gum there was no more flavor. Never again.".....well that one checks out I guess.
One day, we went out to the garage, and our one-year old car had a flat tire; my then-wife said, "That car is a piece of ****. We need a new one."

I kid you not.
Old 09-06-21, 08:14 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I had a brand new car, Honda CRV, less than 1 month old. I had 3 flats in 3 days, 2 of them died from side wall cuts. Had Conti tires on it, the worse one was on the interstate, on a holiday Friday night, on a section that was being worked on, and there was no place to pull over, as they had concrete barriers for 3 miles. I did not want to ruin the rim driving 3 miles to the next exit, so I came to a safe stop right there on the interstate. My wife called 911, the cops were there pretty quick, they blocked traffic to make sure I could put the spare on, they even let me use their floor jack and I went on my way. Saturday morning, I had 4 brand new Michelin tires and did not have another flat for 4 years. My wife told me I needed to take the car back, and I said, it was an issue with the tires, not the car, but it still sucked having to dish out 700 for new tires on a 1 month old car. In reality, I replaced 5 tires over those 4 days.

Old 09-06-21, 10:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I would mention Gatorskins if you want more action on this thread.
​​​​​​Gatorskins?? Where's my pitchfork?
Old 09-07-21, 01:19 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
One day, we went out to the garage, and our one-year old car had a flat tire; my then-wife said, "That car is a piece of ****. We need a new one."
I once had a co-worker, a quiet shy peaceful women in her 50s, who arrived to the office one day very sad and told that now she needs to start a search for a new car. She had an Acura about 5 years old that seemed to be in pristine condition - she was the only owner and she was not driving much, so I asked her what happened. "Imagine, I brought it for a regular oil change and they replaced the brake pads! Of course, they told me that this is not a big deal and that the pads should be occasionally replaced but I know - these are the first signs that the car is starting to break down. I've never had to change brake pads on any of my previous cars...".

Last edited by Oso Polar; 09-07-21 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-07-21, 01:47 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
My first tour I was using some lightweight tires, which I swapped out mid tour because of the constant flats. I bought new flat-resistant tires at a bike shop and installed them in the parking lot.

I had my next flat tire about 2km away from the bike shop. This was also my final flat of the tour.

My buddy had installed brand new Marathon extremes for the tour and laughed at me every time I flatted
The morning of the last day of the tour we walk towards our bike and I pointed and laughed - he had a flat tire from a tack that worked its way through the tread.
Likes For ClydeClydeson: