Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New 700c rims to replace 27x 1 1/4 wheels?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-01-21, 07:21 AM
777funk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

I have a new to me old Austrian Sears (I think Puch made) road bike that I find comfortable but don't care for the wheels. Could I get away with using 700c rims on this thing? There's some vertical adjustment that can be made on the brake pads.

It needs tires anyways (the ones on there are likely 30 years old) and the rims are too hard to true due to warping of the sides. May be a good time to upgrade. It's a $20 bike and I don't want to put a ton of cash into it (say under $100 done). I don't mind buying used as long as they're straight. Is this a doable venture (rims and tires for $80)?
Old 10-01-21, 07:27 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Yes. If the brake pads can be adjusted 4mm down then 700C wheels will fit no problem. This will sometimes allow you to fit a tire of a couple mm wider as well.

Keep in mind that the further the pads move from the pivots on the brake calipers, the less braking force you will get from any given amount of hand force at the levers.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 10-01-21, 08:22 AM
777funk

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Yes. If the brake pads can be adjusted 4mm down then 700C wheels will fit no problem. This will sometimes allow you to fit a tire of a couple mm wider as well.

Keep in mind that the further the pads move from the pivots on the brake calipers, the less braking force you will get from any given amount of hand force at the levers.
I didn't think of that with the braking force. Makes sense. I would think going from chromed steel to aluminum would help bring up the braking force a good bit. I notice all my aluminum wheel bikes stop a lot better than these old steel rims. The steel rims make brakes almost non existent if a little bit wet. I've learned to stay off this bike when there's any moisture on the ground.
Old 10-01-21, 08:58 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
If the wheels are decent with aluminum rims I would just get some nice tires like Panaracer Pasela's. 27 inch wheels ride real smooth since they're a larger diameter. That's why the MTB's went to larger diameter wheels. I've always thought the industry should revive them with some modern 27 inchers with wide disc rims and fat tires for gravel bikes.
Old 10-01-21, 10:17 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
The change in braking force is noticeable, but not catastrophic. The brakes are designed to work with the pads at any position in the slot, so you're still in the acceptable range. And, yes, changing from chrome steel to aluminum rims will likely make it so that the sum of all changes will result in an improvement in braking, especially in the wet.
Old 10-01-21, 10:27 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
If the wheels are decent with aluminum rims I would just get some nice tires like Panaracer Pasela's. 27 inch wheels ride real smooth since they're a larger diameter. That's why the MTB's went to larger diameter wheels. I've always thought the industry should revive them with some modern 27 inchers with wide disc rims and fat tires for gravel bikes.
For that matter, maybe 700A or 700B deserve another look.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-01-21, 12:50 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Your bikes with alloy rims that you say you notice a difference in the braking force might also have double pivot brakes which are also a big improvement at the time for brake technology. And such brakes are typically inexpensive so if yours aren't and you still desire better braking, you might try some double pivot rim brakes available in most all brands and flavors.
Old 10-01-21, 02:32 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
The grippiness of aluminum compared to steel .... if you have ever depended on your brakes on your steel-rimmed bike, you know how little use they are compared to Al.
Old 10-01-21, 06:36 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I think you are dreaming with a budget of $80 for a pair of used 700c wheels including tires. I checked out our local CL which serves a population of nearly 2M. There were no wheels for sale at any price. You might do the same on Facebook marketplace but I doubt you will have any better luck. If there is a bike co-op nearby, contact them. Sometimes people donate bikes to them and they use them for parts. My local Goodwill only seem to have junk these days. Once in a while I see wheels in the bins at my local Goodwill surplus store but that is very hit and miss.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 10-01-21, 08:28 PM
777funk

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I think you are dreaming with a budget of $80 for a pair of used 700c wheels including tires. I checked out our local CL which serves a population of nearly 2M. There were no wheels for sale at any price. You might do the same on Facebook marketplace but I doubt you will have any better luck. If there is a bike co-op nearby, contact them. Sometimes people donate bikes to them and they use them for parts. My local Goodwill only seem to have junk these days. Once in a while I see wheels in the bins at my local Goodwill surplus store but that is very hit and miss.
Probably so. I did look on ebay in sold listings and saw one set for $69 (tires and wheels). I also found tires for around $40-$50 a pair. Rims can be had with spokes for $60 to $100 on the cheap end. So I'm not way off, but I did think the same after I posted the original top post.

I'll probably just live with the minor annoyances of the factory rims. It's really not that bad. New tires and they'll be fine.
Old 10-03-21, 08:00 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by 777funk
I didn't think of that with the braking force. Makes sense. I would think going from chromed steel to aluminum would help bring up the braking force a good bit. I notice all my aluminum wheel bikes stop a lot better than these old steel rims. The steel rims make brakes almost non existent if a little bit wet. I've learned to stay off this bike when there's any moisture on the ground.
Yes, going to an aluminum rim will definitely help with wet weather braking performance. You might also consider replacing the brake calipers with dual-pivot calipers to improve mechanical advantage. Tektro makes an inexpensive, long-reach, dual-pivot caliper I've used for such conversions.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-03-21, 08:40 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson

The trick is that you have to adjust the brakes all the way down onto the rim brakeing surface. If the brake pads touch your tire, even a little bit, you are asking for a blow out.